Performance White Performance White 2005+ Mustangs

Dealing with "oxidation" or "rust spots" on Performance White

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/15, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealing with "oxidation" or "rust spots" on Performance White

Any tips or thoughts from the members here about how to deal with the "oxidation" or "rust spots" that appear on white cars? My mustang is a 2005 and I have a 2007 Explorer with the same issue. I thought getting into it good with a clay bar would help, but I'm not really noticing any improvement.

What's the best way to try to clean these spots up?
Old 5/6/15, 04:59 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 09 GMC Sierra and 06 BMW 330i. Apparently it has something to do with tiny iron fragments picked up on the surface of the paint during the shipping process (especially by rail).

In both cases a good claying (best if all old\new wax is stripped first) and a gentle spot polishing\light rubbing compound did the trick for me. Every now and then a few spots will come back, you never quite seem to get them all...but once you know how to treat them, it's not too big of a deal. It is, though, the main reason I'll never do white again.

Best of luck to you.
Old 5/6/15, 06:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grab some Iron-X online from one of the many detailing websites (autogeek is my favorite) and follow those instructions. Follow with a wash with Dawh dish soap to strip off all waxes, polishes and oils. Follow with a good clay bar treatment all over and then another wash with either dawn or a good car wash shampoo. (You can use iron x on wheels too)

Dry the car in your preferred method and follow with a compound, then polish, then top it off with a couple thin coats of wax.
It will take a good chunk of time (for me i take about 4-5 hours total when i do a good detail (exterior only mind you lol)) but it will be so worth it. Plus your car will look like it just rolled off the assembly line