05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

MY COLOR RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS {THE FIRST} MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/14, 09:49 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by pozur
Okay, so I see several questions here but none of the questions pertain to my situation. I do not necessarily want to do the swap because of mycolor, but more for the oil pressure gauge. I know its not the most accurate thing in te world, but I do not want to clutter my interior with outboard gauges. I am going to putting a boost gauge in a gauge pod in one of my vents, but would like that to be my only outboard. So...here are my questions. I have a 2005 GT with the four gauge cluster. Can I use another years gauge cluster? I do have the dummy plug with the harness in the back of it. There are several used clusters on ebay for 120 to 175 bux and they come with warranty. My next question...is this plug and play, outside of having someone put the mileage in the replacement cluster. Reason I ask this is because there are so many mixed messages and it makes it sound so complicated. I do not have paskeys, I don't think they had them in 05. I want to do this this winter while I have it parked, amongst other things. All the threads I find are for v6 mustangs that did not have the same circumstances I have. Great write up, but like I said, this is for a 6 shooter and mine is an eight with all the goodies except the six gauge cluster.Thanx in advance

As Far as the Boost Gauge instead of the Pod I had mine in my GT/CS between the Two A/C Vents In the Center. It looked Factory due to Silver Finish & IUP Dash my CS had. Tried to find a Pic but they are Lost on Image Shack. It was a Roush Gauge BTW. It was drilled to interference fit so you could pull it out and change a bulb without taking the dash apart.

Only thing I did not like was it was Like a 30LB Boost Gauge and The Roushcharger only had 6lbs of Boost so not a lot of Sweep action on the Gauge. A Gauge with a Lower Boost Limit would be the way to go. I wanted to see that baby move when I floored it.

As Far as Pats Keys I believe ALL 05up Mustangs Had Them. Pic Provided.

I just don't advise Used Clusters because of variables.

It's too Bad the Gt-500's Cluster with Boost Gauge could not be used but that was addressed long ago.

https://themustangsource.com/f700/sh...1/#post5094150

Good Luck!

KC
Attached Thumbnails MY COLOR RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS {THE FIRST} MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1-patskey.jpg  

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/13/14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10/16/14, 04:46 PM

I got my November 2014 Issue of Mustang Monthly and lo and behold on page 74 They Reference The MYCOLOR Upgrade.

Pretty Cool for such an old topic on One of the Conversions I invented! Look for The Red X and Text circled.

Man I started quite the RETROFIT BONAZA Back in The Day
I surely miss those Times!

Enjoy, K
Attached Thumbnails MY COLOR RETROFIT INSTRUCTIONS {THE FIRST} MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1-my-color.jpg  
Old 2/17/15, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey there,
thought I would keep this thing going
i'm going to try to get my 2005 gt updated i just have one question atm.
are all the 6 gauge cluster My Color versions ?
i'm going to try and find one off ebay that is close in mileage on ebay for the modification. seems to be plenty of 05 6 gauge clusters around.
the switches i'll get new.
will check 1st if I have the cable but i'm pretty sure i have it since I have the TC.
thanks so far for all the good infos.
shame all the links and pictures are dead after so many years.
Old 2/19/15, 09:38 AM

cable confirmed

Old 2/20/15, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fauconnier Vincent
are all the 6 gauge cluster My Color versions ?
Yes. But be aware that there are still V6 and GT versions that have different redlines and top speeds. You'll also likely need to get the cluster programmed with the correct build data to avoid error lights and such. My local dealer quoted me around $100 to program it.
Old 8/3/15, 03:10 PM

Still Getting Emails on this a Decade Later~
Old 1/29/16, 10:45 AM

My story:

I just felt the need to add my experience in upgrading the 4 gauge cluster on my 2005 V6 mustang to the 6 gauge My Color cluster since I learned so much about the upgrade reading this forum thread throughout the years. I guess I am also motivated to share my experience because it was so successful and inexpensive.

My mustang was an early production model and thereby I wasn’t surprised to see I had the necessary wiring harness attached to the dummy switch. The car also came equipped with ABS and traction control which readers of this thread know can alleviate some of the problems that can surface with this upgrade. But what really got me going into looking into doing the upgrade, besides the added functionality of the My Color upgrade, was my failed attempt to fix my malfunctioning gas gauge on the original 4 gauge cluster. In attempting to replacing the failed stepper motor for the gas gauge, (a well known problem with our mustangs) I managed to mangle a few of the electronic traces or etchings to the stepper motor and thereby rendering the gas gauge totally useless. I therefore had to rely on the the trip odometer to estimate how close I was to running out of gas. Not fun. This event occurred around the 2012 timeframe.

So I muddled along for the next few years checking into various options into obtaining a 6-gauge cluster suitable for my car. Inquiries with my local dealerships turned out to be non-starter for me anyways. Besides being expensive the core exchange for a 4 gauge to a 6 gauge was a no go for some dealers. Also the possibility of my core exchange, with the now malfunctioning and possibly non repairable gas gauge, being rejected and therefore losing my core deposit was real. Frequent, and I mean frequent, investigations into local (Minneapolis) salvage and “you pull the parts” joints were always futile. Usually because there were no mustangs available to pick over or the right fit wasn’t there. (i.e. GT vs. V6, V6 models later than 2006 which can present problems with a switch of clusters, etc. etc.) There were of course options available that might have turned out okay via Ebay or out of town salvage places. But for whatever reason (sometimes pricing) I never felt comfortable with these options.

Fast forward to November, 2015. While casually surfing the internet one night for used My Color clusters I came upon a listing from a NationWide used auto parts location in New York that showed pics of a damaged 2005 V6 mustang in the yard. Also included was an interior pic of the 6-gauge cluster in the car. From what I could tell from the pic, it looked undamaged. The kicker was the price listed for the My Color cluster. It was $25.00. Say what? For that price how could you go wrong even if the cluster turned out to be a total failure. I immediately called the place. It was available and the price was indeed $25.00. I bought it. At this time I also inquired about their availability of the switch to give me all the functions of the cluster. I gave them a couple of part numbers to look up for the switch. No availability. I really didn’t care at this point because if the My Color I ordered from them turned out unworkable at least I wouldn’t be burdened with the cost of the switch at the same time.

The cluster arrived shortly. I installed it. Guess what? Everything seemed to work perfectly. I now even had a working gas gauge. ha None of the know caveats that can happen in this cluster upgrade, as described frequently in this thread, appeared. Got lucky. Now for the switch. I called the yard back thinking that even though they said no switch was available in their inventory, my guess was the switch that accompanied the cluster in the first place was most likely still in the wrecked mustang in their lot. I called and explained those thoughts to them. They were confused. So I sent them a pic showing where the switch was on the console and what it looked like. Also included the simple instructions on how to remove it. They called back later that same day and told me they had recovered the switch. Their price was $20. I know, 20 dollars for the switch versus 25 dollars for the whole cluster didn’t make much sense but I didn’t care nor did I quibble. The switch arrived shortly and after installing the switch the full functionality of the My Color was indeed available to me. The final step will be to record the actual mileage of my car on the newly installed cluster. I have,via pics I have taken and other documentation, the appropriate mileage figures from both clusters to get the actual mileage of the car eventually recorded on the My Color cluster. A local speedo shop wants $180 to accomplish this.
Old 7/17/20, 01:12 PM

UPDATE POST 1 07/20/2020 Mileage Service for Used Cluster.
Old 7/17/20, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Hi Kevin! Hope all's well enough on your end!
Old 8/30/21, 04:50 PM

Still Getting Emails on How to Do these 16 Years Later!

Reread a Bunch of the Posts! Man we were Having a Lot of fun with our 05-09's I sure Miss those Days!

See Post 1! It Pretty Much Explains It All!
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ispreloading=1

K

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/30/21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 8/30/21, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Hi Kevin! Hope all's well enough on your end!
Sorry So Late in Replying, I'm just hanging by a thread! Hope you are Doing Better!

K
Old 9/29/23, 03:04 PM

UPDATE!!
Moved & Sticked All My Color Topics on 05-09'S

​​​​​​​KC