Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Owning a truck?

Old 4/28/15, 01:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owning a truck?

Hey guys, quick question. Anyone out there own a mustang and a truck? Under there name of course.

I've had my mustang since my sophomore summer going to junior year of high school and I'm about to hit 5 years with my baby this summer . I love my mustang to DEATH! And I'm planning on never selling it. I haven't gotten tired of my mustang at all, but standing at 6'3 I could definitely use a larger vehicle. I'm thinking about buying a 09 Dodge Ram 1500 or a f-150. Would it be a smart decision to buy a truck as my daily driver and finally store my mustang?

Give me some advice
Old 4/28/15, 04:38 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
A truck as a primary or secondary vehicle makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. A lot of folks here have one when it's not appropriate or convenient to use their Mustangs.

I would have prefered a pick up as my alternate, and my choice would have been a Ranger had Ford still been making them. I don't have a need for a full size, and I had considered a Nissan Frontier when my '12 Fusion lease was up in January. But I'm a long standing Ford customer and the incentives and deals I was able to get on a leased '14 Fusion helped me keep my monthly payments down to a very acceptable level. I'm retired so the Fusion is my back-up. It only has 1800 miles in four months, so to have paid more for a truck wouldn't have been worth it. With the nicer weather upon us, the Mustang will get much more use and I expect to put at least another 6K miles on it before it goes back in the garage for next winter.

Still, there's something about a pick-up truck that appeals to me.
Old 4/28/15, 04:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 09 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Love it, great vehicle. Right now my niece is driving it until she saves enough up for her own first car. The F-150's are great too, have had a couple in the past. Every Dodge Ram 1500 made after like 95 anyone I know has owned has been a nightmare, including the last one I had...ended up lemon lawing the POS.

If you live somewhere that gets a good deal of snow each year (and the salt that comes along with that), I'd recommend a truck in 4x4. If you don't, and just need a daily driver, then really any car is fine for the task. Whether it's a good idea or not depends entirely on your personal situation, though. What can you afford, what are your needs, etc etc. For me, the Sierra is a perfect DD\backup. Decent MPGs (around 16.5 on average with the 5.3L), roomy (I have the 4 door extended cab), great in the snow when we have it, and we had a lot this year (NJ). Easy to maintain, for the most part. Not too expensive (got it used in 2012, with only 27k easy miles on it, for only like $24k).

Whether or not that would work for you, depends entirely on you. As for storing the Mustang, unless you just mean through the winters (if that's a concern for you), I really never understood that idea. Mustangs are meant to be driven, IMO. Mine's on the road every day the snow\salt isn't a problem (granted, I've only had this one for a few weeks, but I've gone through many seasons in previous Mustangs, same deal). But again, it's entirely up to you and your situation. To each their own.
Old 4/28/15, 04:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I think this is really a personal decision that should be based on your needs and wants...only so much the internet can tell you about that. Go with what you feel is best.
Old 4/28/15, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mralternation_
Hey guys, quick question. Anyone out there own a mustang and a truck? Under there name of course.

I've had my mustang since my sophomore summer going to junior year of high school and I'm about to hit 5 years with my baby this summer . I love my mustang to DEATH! And I'm planning on never selling it. I haven't gotten tired of my mustang at all, but standing at 6'3 I could definitely use a larger vehicle. I'm thinking about buying a 09 Dodge Ram 1500 or a f-150. Would it be a smart decision to buy a truck as my daily driver and finally store my mustang?

Give me some advice
I may be the exception, but I have a 2009 Ram crew cab sport 4×4. It is my primary vehicle and I have had 0 issues with it bought it new. The mustang is my toy.
Old 4/28/15, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I like the Dodge pick-up's a lot. I owned an 04 and loved it except for the 13mpg's. I know they are better now. Really like the new Dodge diesel too.
Old 4/28/15, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, I've lost track of the number of pickups I've owned since 1975, when I bought my first one. I'm driving a crew cab Dodge Dakota right now, but I'm not crazy about it; most of mine were short-bed GM full sized trucks, and they were virtually all d**n fine trucks. Now if Ford would bring out something smaller than an F-150 (don't really need a full size half-ton any more), I would do some serious tire kicking. I'll probably never be a non-truck-owner. But a Mustang is the perfect back-up vehicle!
Old 4/28/15, 10:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I went looking for a 2014 F-150 fx4 luxury plus appearance package because the new 2015's were out and takin numbers. I got my fx4 crewcab for a REALLY good deal. I have a pooch and a motorcycle so having a pickup is a must. And having a nice truck makes it not so bad as a daily driver. It is an ecoboost with pretty good mileage if you take it easy.
Name:  20140810_095256_zpsc0a2ddfc.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  620.9 KB
Old 4/29/15, 03:53 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I will always have some type of truck vehicle. Either SUV or pickup. Right now I only have my pickup. If I had to make a decision on only owning one vehicle, it would be a pickup first. Any other vehicle is just for fun.
Old 4/29/15, 03:56 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
That's a great looking truck Darren....every bit as clean as the hot rod. I feel so inadequate with a Fusion as my second ride.
Old 4/29/15, 08:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Honestly, I've lost track of the number of pickups I've owned since 1975, when I bought my first one. I'm driving a crew cab Dodge Dakota right now, but I'm not crazy about it; most of mine were short-bed GM full sized trucks, and they were virtually all d**n fine trucks. Now if Ford would bring out something smaller than an F-150 (don't really need a full size half-ton any more), I would do some serious tire kicking. I'll probably never be a non-truck-owner. But a Mustang is the perfect back-up vehicle!
Have you looked into the Ford Explorer sports trac? It's pretty much a mini f-150
Old 4/29/15, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the replies and looks like I'm getting a truck guys!!! Lol. But not the 2009 ram. Too much $$$ at only 20 years old I don't really have a big enough pay check to buy a truck that's 10k

So now I'm looking into a old 80s f-150 that I can snag on craigslist for $800-$1000 that i can take on as my project truck this summer. Gonna try to make it look extremely nice.
Old 4/29/15, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

I'm thinking it would be extremely fun too
Old 4/29/15, 09:37 PM

My daily driver is a 2012 F-150 FX4. 5.0 V8, heated & cooled leather, huge sunroof, Sony sound, Nav, back up camera and more. It's my idea of the perfect Michigan year round vehicle. The truck crowd will notice the body color wheel opening trim and the missing FX4 graphics. I've had more F-150's than I can count, some as extra beater vehicles when I was into BMWs and some as primary daily drivers. The GT/CS convertible is just a toy, fighting with the Street Glide Special for my time in good weather. The only thing better would be a Raptor..... maybe next time.
Attached Thumbnails Owning a truck?-img_20150315_184351891.jpg  

Last edited by logical; 4/29/15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 4/29/15, 11:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Mralternation, seems like we are steering you in the right direction LOL
Old 4/30/15, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mralternation_
I'm thinking it would be extremely fun too
I didn't see anything in the OP about needing the utility of a truck. If you don't need to haul or tow things regularly, I see no sense in owning a truck. I know in certain parts of the US, trucks are part of the young man's wardrobe, but I have always had one in my line-up because I am always building, buying, selling, remodeling something. If I had no need to haul or tow and just wanted something that was good in the snow I'd have two cars, one AWD, and not a car and a truck.

Owning a truck will not turn your life into a Mountain Dew commercial.

Last edited by logical; 4/30/15 at 06:39 AM.
Old 4/30/15, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Not with *that* attitude.
Old 4/30/15, 11:35 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I went looking for a 2014 F-150 fx4 luxury plus appearance package because the new 2015's were out and takin numbers. I got my fx4 crewcab for a REALLY good deal. I have a pooch and a motorcycle so having a pickup is a must. And having a nice truck makes it not so bad as a daily driver. It is an ecoboost with pretty good mileage if you take it easy.
Originally Posted by logical
My daily driver is a 2012 F-150 FX4. 5.0 V8, heated & cooled leather, huge sunroof, Sony sound, Nav, back up camera and more. It's my idea of the perfect Michigan year round vehicle. The truck crowd will notice the body color wheel opening trim and the missing FX4 graphics. I've had more F-150's than I can count, some as extra beater vehicles when I was into BMWs and some as primary daily drivers. The GT/CS convertible is just a toy, fighting with the Street Glide Special for my time in good weather. The only thing better would be a Raptor..... maybe next time.
Ballers!
Old 4/30/15, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Ballers!
Yes, all the middle aged cashiers at Tractor Supply pretty much swoon when I pick up a load of water softener salt and landscape mulch.

Last edited by logical; 4/30/15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 5/1/15, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a basic f150 with no options as my daily driver. it is very solid n reliable truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owning a truck?