Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Our Focus is stuck in North Texas

Old 9/22/16, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Our Focus is stuck in North Texas

So my wife was up in Gainesville, TX and her Focus just said F-U buddy! It all but died on her and left her stranded. Luckily she got some local help and was able to get Ford Roadside to tow the car to the local dealer.

From what I know the symptoms were that the car sounded like the transmission disengaged on an on-ramp and she couldn't get the trans to shift into any other gear, the car just thought it was in drive but still wouldn't go. She turned the car off and then it wouldn't turn on. Power was good but the negative battery terminal had much corrosion. When cleaned the car was still a lemon. I replaced the battery not long ago with a Optima Red top but it appears there are some charging issues at hand.

The Focus is sitting at the local dealer, no one has looked at it yet. Luckily she wasn't in any traffic but we can't just leave the car there.

Anyone hear of these issues? We always keep the car up to date with new programming and are aware of the issues we get notified about but I've done some searching and see that I'm not the only one that had this problem with the 2012. Sucks because we've barely got 60k on the car. I guess I should have bought her the Mini Cooper instead. Say what you will about my old 335i, it never left us stranded.

Thanks everyone.
Old 9/25/16, 02:12 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I have read here and there about problems with the Focus transmissions. Mini Coopers have a lot of problems too.

Let us know what happens
Old 9/27/16, 04:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So we did get word back from the dealer. The Transmission Control unit has a short in it. The part is on back order though and was supposed to be there today but so far nothing. We were hoping to have it done by Thursday since that's when she'd be back up that way but we won't be going that way unless necessary after that though.

Tomorrow I will strike up the conversation with Ford customer service to let them know what's been going on since we have a ticket open with them and to see what we can do, if anything, take care of rental car costs. The repair is supposed to cover one day but we can't control the parts so its Ford's supply issue in this case.

I hadn't heard about the Mini's having many issues, I may need to research.