SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Mach 460 Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach 460 Stereo Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade the head unit in the Mach 460 Stereo system that came with my 2003 Mach 1. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so could you maybe post advice on the proper way of doing this.

I've done some reading on changing out the factory head unit on the Mach 460 and from what I gather it looks like it's a major head ache, some people go as far as saying to pull the whole Mach system and start fresh with new system. I really don't want to do this because I'm pretty happy with the sound I get from the system and I really can't afford a whole new system right now; all I really want to do is add an after market deck to the existing system to hook up an iPod. I'd also like to add 10" subwoofer, would I need another amp for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If no one has done any of this themselves but rather upgraded a Mach 460 at a stereo shop could you please post what you had done to your system.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Old 12/29/06, 12:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 340.29_m/s
I'm looking to upgrade the head unit in the Mach 460 Stereo system that came with my 2003 Mach 1. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so could you maybe post advice on the proper way of doing this.

I've done some reading on changing out the factory head unit on the Mach 460 and from what I gather it looks like it's a major head ache, some people go as far as saying to pull the whole Mach system and start fresh with new system. I really don't want to do this because I'm pretty happy with the sound I get from the system and I really can't afford a whole new system right now; all I really want to do is add an after market deck to the existing system to hook up an iPod. I'd also like to add 10" subwoofer, would I need another amp for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If no one has done any of this themselves but rather upgraded a Mach 460 at a stereo shop could you please post what you had done to your system.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
This is the only Ive found in recent times..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zEcZdoC...sp?i=142C4FDK5
Old 12/29/06, 01:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don’t mean to ***** your thread, but someone reply to this! I want to redo my stuff on my 95 GT.

I really like Kenwood’s. I heard you had to have a higher end receiver with the Mach 460. I them thought a Kenwood Excelon might work. I talked with a local radio shop and the guy said you could only run those amps with those speakers. Something about they were engineered for them.

I want to go with a Kenwood CD player, all Polk speakers, and maybe a JL 10†on down the road. I see that OEM Amplifier Adapter, if that is what I will need that is good! I can save some and buy a regular CD player and stuff. Sorry again for whoring!!
Old 12/30/06, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker
This is the only Ive found in recent times..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zEcZdoC...sp?i=142C4FDK5
Thanks for posting a reply CircuitBreaker vbmenu_register("postmenu_808426", true); but it looks like that peice will not do a 2003 Mach 1. I'll continue looking for something similar to that though.
Old 12/30/06, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im replacing everything on my 95 GT except for the upper door speakers. (wedges) But mainly because when I got the car the 460 head unit was already missing. So Im going to gut everything and start fresh except for wires. I'll only run new stuff if I need to. Sony head unit, Pioneer speakers and amps and 10" Pioneer sub. And iPod hook-up. This will actually the 3rd car I've put this system in.
Old 12/31/06, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Anrev
Im replacing everything on my 95 GT except for the upper door speakers. (wedges) But mainly because when I got the car the 460 head unit was already missing. So Im going to gut everything and start fresh except for wires. I'll only run new stuff if I need to. Sony head unit, Pioneer speakers and amps and 10" Pioneer sub. And iPod hook-up. This will actually the 3rd car I've put this system in.

This is not an option for me, I'd like to keep the car as origingal as possible and frankly I think the Mach system is good enough, the head unit howver is lacking better options.
Old 12/31/06, 08:13 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ONLY reason its even an option for me is because I already own the system. Its in my Corolla right now. The only thing I'll be buying for the Stang is the speakers that will fit it. And the reason I go with Pioneer speakers is because Walmart has them cheap. $40 for a pair of 5x8's. I just gotta make sure that this system is loud enough to be heard over the exhaust with the top down at highway speeds.
Old 12/31/06, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are there inputs/outputs at the back of the head unit on the Mach? I want to add a couple of amps and some subs when I get my rear seat delete.
Old 12/31/06, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
Are there inputs/outputs at the back of the head unit on the Mach? I want to add a couple of amps and some subs when I get my rear seat delete.
I'm not to sure if that could be done, this is what the back of the Mach 460 HU with the 6 CD changer looks like in my 03 Mach 1. I'm sure someone here might be able to tell you how to go about doing it if this could be done.
Attached Images  
Old 1/15/07, 05:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Exclamation Yes, I have changed the h/u

On my 2000 w/ the 460, I replaced the unit with an Alpine with XM built in. It was kind of a PITA. I don't remember all the details, because it was a while ago. but here is what i remember

first, you have to get a special harness to utilize the 460 amps. It allows you to use the factory amps to keep the bass and tweeters separate. You will have to adjust the volume for each speaker so that you can turn the head unit up without blowing the factory speakers. This part was pretty easy to do though, but it costs ~$50

the other issue is that I had to wire in 12V to 5V "transformer." But, I almost found this out the hard way: everytime I turned on the radio, it would pop the speakers. After talking to a few people at crutchfield, I finally got someone who knew exactly what was going on, and he recommended that part. The part is only like $2.00 from radio shack. But, trying to solder it in was not easy, due to the different wire sizes and short length on the transformer.

Honestly, I did it once and wouldn't do it again. But, if you are willing to do it, I recommend Crutchfield, because they have excellent customer service and give you install sheets.

Here is a pic to show (obviously, the 01 and up has the double din, but I still had the 460 as you can see the tweeter in the corner)
Attachment 17514
Attached Thumbnails Mach 460 Stereo Upgrade-radio.jpg  
Old 1/15/07, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Exclamation I also had a sub in the trunk

The sub was a MAJOR PITA to install w/ the 460 system. I had the sub before I had the aftermarket radio, so I had to struggle with trying to find the wire to get the bass signal off of.

IT WAS A PAIN. to get the signal for the amp, you have to drop the entire rear decklid with the speakers. then you have to tap into the wire that powers the mid/lows, since there is also a tweeter in the rear deck (you can't tap into that, or else the amp won't get the right signal).

It is not the easiest thing to drop the rear decklid. I have the shop manual and the wiring diagram for the car, and it still took a long time to figure out to tap into that wire.

but, maybe someone else can chime in with their own experience.
Old 1/15/07, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you still have the shop manual and wiring diagram I would much appreciate if you could post a copy. Sure it would help a lot of other people out who are in the same situation.
Old 1/15/07, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

I sold the book with the car, so I can't make a copy of the pages. Also, it was for a 2000 model year. Since Ford typically changes wire colors, etc. from year to year, it may not have helped anyway.

I recommend looking on ebay for the manuals. They are sometimes expensive, but well worth it if you do your own work on the car.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

-Mike