SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Idle problems and glowing headers

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/16, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle problems and glowing headers

Hey people just joined and have a few questions my friends cant answer and respond with the normal "its a ford" get rid of it bs. But i have a 2002 ford mustang v6 model. Bought it wrecked and it had been sitting a while. I been chasing problems with it since i started working on it. It had nee plugs new wires new cam position sync new idle air control new maf sensor new egr valve new egr pressure regulator. Now it was running kind of rough and lean on bank two so ireplaced the maf sensor and had a light for a idle air control error. I replaced both last night now it runs and 2000 rpm for about five seconds then drops to 1500 which is too high. Also noticed after about five minutes the headers are glowing bright red and not just one tube on the headers but the whole thing. Ive read about the motor running too lean and the timing could be off but i made sure i was at tdc before replacing the cam sync. Its been a nightmare and i cant find answers else where so im hopin someone can help me out
Old 12/2/16, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dose it have cats? If so they could be bad.
Old 12/3/16, 01:27 AM

It does have cats but i have been told that the headers will not gliw red in the instance of a clogged cat, but the cat will
Old 12/3/16, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
possible manifold leak as far as the high idle goes... just a guess. Also have you cleaned the throttle body? Could also be part of that problem
Old 12/20/16, 05:17 PM

vct possible if your car comes with it, it would be on the valve cover coming out with a rubber black gasket around it and an electrical connection, look at some youtube videos on how to clean them or replace. also check that your oil and filter are compatible ( example if u use full synthetic oil then u need a full synthetic oil filter) also air filter need checking

Last edited by Yoda187; 12/20/16 at 05:43 PM.