SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

HELP - Insurance claim 2000 GT,

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/15, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP - Insurance claim 2000 GT,

My daughter was in a accid not. She rear ended a pickup truck at about 30 mph
Anyway, since car seemed drivable she drove it home, however she noticed a click sound. Upon a closer look aside from bumper damage, there is sway bar link broken and insurance company said it isn't part of accident. But it is. This car didn't have this issue. We even submitted past vehicle maintenance records to prove we maintain and fix any suggested issues. No where is suspension noted on any paperwork. We also took it to ford body shop, the radiator bar is rusted, they are afraid if the bend it up it will break causing more damage. This is a 2000 GT V8 automatic. The motor is emasculate. I had full coverage and since body shop ( we've seen 2, both preferred insurance shops) neither will fix it. But insurance company won't total. Upon closer look the frame is pushed down and back. Insurance company wants to measure frame. We did a carfare before we bought, only accident reported was when it was new, and we had ford inspect it, we even fixed a few things they suggested. Both estimates are around 1700.00 value is 5100.00 low side since the body shop said there are some welds, we are thinking they were from original collision. Since those are there now ins. Is sayin they won't cover it. They want to pay me 1200.00 but no one will fix to preloss condition. WTH... Is it worth me fighting in court? Where do I go from here? How car I get my car specs.
Old 8/25/15, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Sway bar link is cheap. I'd just get one and ask whoever does the work to throw it in, it's all of two nuts, one on either end, and a few bushings, done.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7580

BUT... the location of the sway bar is NOT likely a part of the accident. The insurance is very much correct in the thought, as if the sway bar link is broken, then there is a WHOLE lot more wrong with the car... and if the car's suspension isn't broken, the sway bar is absolutely NOT part of the incident in question. Let that one go, you will never win that point.

---

The 'radiator bar'... that's a radiator core support.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...T&T5_Var3=blue

Now... this is also relatively cheap to acquire, it's the labor, removal and install, that's gonna be a few hours. The body shop has to fight for you, or they shouldn't be your body shop. They are liable for the product, and the safety of the car, which is why they won't fix it, but will replace it. If the insurance doesn't see it that way, then YOU DUMP THEM IMMEDIATELY after you are through with this incident, go somewhere else. They can't be telling your body shop(s) what safe is for their liability on working on your car.

And if the case is the body shops won't fix it, period? You need to find another body shop, 'cause that type of repair is simple (on the face of it) and ain't no body shop worth it's salt is going to turn it down for *replace*... repair? Sure, that's obvious if it's a rusty part. Not worth/safe to fix.

---

Let the insurance put the car on the frame machine. That will likely push the total to happen. If the frame is bent, that'll drive up the repair cost by 500 to 1000. (Guessing.) Then again, maybe not. If you're at $1700 so far, and the frame goes 1000 to fix? That's only 2700, and you're still short of the 80 percent rule of about $4000 to total the thing.

---

And it's been in a previous accident. Great. Are they saying that you didn't disclose this? That's crap. They can do their own research on that, and they shouldn't have been insuring the car if they had a problem. Yet another reason to DUMP THEM YESTERDAY, when possible.

---

They should cover the cost to repair it regardless of the previous accident because they insured it, end of discussion. In this respect alone, to get the repair/total cost, you might have a case. Not for the sway bar link, and not for the rust, but to get it back to what you had before. The problem could be that 'what you had before' and 'what the car should have been before insuring' could be two completely different ideas, and that's where the loophole might be that they can wiggle out of it with.

Of course, I'm neither a body shop person, an insurance person, or any type of lawyer, but on the face of it... seems you have some sort of a case, but you'll really want to do your research/hire a lawyer to see what you really have.

Good luck.