Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > SN95 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 6/15/12, 5:37 PM   #1
V6 Member

Dave

99-04 Stock Clutch Pedal Adjustment

I'm writing for help regarding this How-to article:
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

My 'stang is my daily driver and while I normal drive almost exclusively highway w/o traffic, today I got stuck in hours of stop & go traffic. My left calf really got a workout. I'm frustrated with the "stiffness" of the stock clutch and how low to the ground I have to push the clutch in for it to engage.

Anyways, I found this write-up on how to adjust the level where the clutch engages, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding this "hook" that is referenced in the article. This "hook" is apartently what you push up to make the adjustment.

Can anyone help this dummy out?
allthefreakypeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/19/12, 12:42 AM   #2

Peter

Send a message via AIM to cntchds
It's pretty close to the gas pedal up there. If you take a flashlight in there just look up at what moves when you push the clutch.

Rest In Peace, Daddio. 2/10/58 - 9/29/10
cntchds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/19/12, 12:36 PM   #3
Hail To The eVe
TMS Staff

The adjustment isn't going to change the stiffness.

also never adjust a clutch for "feel" or "driving style" total myth adjust the clutch for function.

correctly adjusted the clutch will begin to grab about 1/2 way up its travel. If the clutch grabs right off or very close to the floor then it is adjusted to loosely and will cause difficulty putting into gears, cause the car to roll on flat surfaces and cuase premature clutch/transmission wear.

If the clutch grabs to high or at the very top of it travel then it is adjusted to tight ( or your clutch is wasted if adjusting the cable will not fix the high pedal!! ) a clutch that is giving to high will cause it to constanly disengaging when driving.

you want the clutch to grab about 1 1/2 inches or so of the floor and have about 1 inch of end play on the pedal when the clutch is released.

my 2 cents worth.
'00 Contour modded/tuned
'01 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

iaff/pffm L2194
skunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/20/12, 9:53 AM   #4
V6 Member

Dave

Thanks for the info. It seems like the clutch engages way too close to the floor. I haven't actually measured it but I'd like to try this adjustment. I know it won't help with the stiffness but may make the constant shifting a little easier.

I've spent a lot of time under the seat and I see the parts that move when I push in the clutch. However, I still can't find this "hook" that makes the adjustment. Could someone post a picture for me???
Old 6/20/12, 10:26 AM   #5
Hail To The eVe
TMS Staff

does your car still have the stock quad? In the pic the "hook" is under just under the teeth of the quad. look at the pic, over to the right you see part of the teeth of the quad, just under that is a that plastic hook looking part.
'00 Contour modded/tuned
'01 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

iaff/pffm L2194
skunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/20/12, 4:21 PM   #6
V6 Member

Dave

Yes everything in my car is stock. I just looked again where you described but I can't figure it out. I know I'm a dummy, but an arrow in the write-up picture wouldn't have hurt!!
Old 6/20/12, 4:21 PM

Tags
adjustable, clutch