05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009

Old 4/23/15, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
You'd say "call steve at home" or call steve's cell, etc. Messages, you have to say, "messages" wait a second, then say (for text to be read to you) "read text messages". Once the two of you get acquainted, lol, then the system works better. It is all a matter of getting used to certain sayings.

Navigation is weird. Some modules let you leave the word "navigation" out, others require it to know where to go. That could be the 4.4 update. If it is, I already have the addresses programmed into my head, and if I need another, I can always tell the SYNC to add the address without typing it. Occassionaly it doesn't understand a certain street. "Karluk" is one that freaks the system. lol. So does "Tuntutuliak". It doesn't understand Eskimo/Indian names. lol. We have many of those here. lol
Old 4/24/15, 12:34 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Text messaging works for you?
man that's so unfair. Lol. My unit says my phone isn't compatible with txt messaging read out.

Then again i still need to learn how to use her...err it properly.
Old 4/25/15, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akdoggie
You'd say "call steve at home" or call steve's cell, etc. Messages, you have to say, "messages" wait a second, then say (for text to be read to you) "read text messages". Once the two of you get acquainted, lol, then the system works better. It is all a matter of getting used to certain sayings.

Navigation is weird. Some modules let you leave the word "navigation" out, others require it to know where to go. That could be the 4.4 update. If it is, I already have the addresses programmed into my head, and if I need another, I can always tell the SYNC to add the address without typing it. Occassionaly it doesn't understand a certain street. "Karluk" is one that freaks the system. lol. So does "Tuntutuliak". It doesn't understand Eskimo/Indian names. lol. We have many of those here. lol
Yeah, so I definitely have the older version... as I have to say "phone" first.

Anyways... a new sync module is on it's way.
Old 4/25/15, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

VGM----Iphone seems to work better than my Galaxy S3. The android doesn't seem to hear my voice as well as the IOS does. It may be my voice pattern, but the Apple just seems to work better. Of course it is voice controlled (4S or 5S) so it types in the addresses very well and saves it to the phone, not the head. It's weird, but it works. I'm happy. lol

I still swear that the 8G1T-xx navigation heads are the very best to add to ANY Ford. They seem to be programmed to have all features turned on. I've bought 3 of these heads, and all have been open to everything. The people I put them in for are very pleased with their results. The two I put in from Fusion/Milan/Zephers have had slight programming variances that it impossible to make work like the 8G1T's do. I'm sold on this particular head.
Old 4/27/15, 01:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
AK, are you still selling the unit? I'll have access to the 2008 Pony (it's my friend's) in a few days, I can take a pic of the HU for you and get your opinion as to whether it can take SYNC.

I will be installing her Raxiom Gen 5 taillights, smoked 3rd brake light, and smoked marker lights... she's so excited...
Old 4/28/15, 01:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes I have it. I haven't put it on eBay as of yet. I'm glad she got what she wants for a car. Sounds like you have it all planned out. Lol.
Old 5/3/15, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone else have issues with cruise not working after the install?
Old 5/3/15, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I am assuming you did all the pinouts correctly. You are not using the switch with the 5 D-pad, are you? I don't think any switch from 13/14 cars will have functioning cruise.

Last edited by jim010; 5/3/15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 5/3/15, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I am assuming you did all the pinouts correctly. You are not using the switch with the 5 D-pad, are you? I don't think any switch from 13/14 cars will have functioning cruise.
I thought I did... maybe not...

I am using a 2010-12 style switch, although the wheel I bought started with the d-pad switch that I swapped out.
Old 5/4/15, 02:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What switch do you have? It says you need an SW6712. Look at #12 of this thread and it gives the pictures and the numbers to each. Hope that helps some.

As far as the stuff I sent you, it should be there this Friday according to USPS guys. I hope you get your head up and going again. Enjoy.
Old 5/9/15, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

So I did get a SW6712 switch, I think it may be defective. When I use the d-pad switch, and hook up an ohm-meter to the blue and white wires that are from my original connector, I get a resistance which changes as I press buttons.

I can't seem to get a connection on the 6712 switch regardless of which pins i'm using.

Edit: retract most of this post, it seems that the red+white wire gives me a connection as opposed to the brown. Gonna test it now and see how it goes.

Last edited by friedmaster; 5/9/15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 5/16/15, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
So I did get a SW6712 switch, I think it may be defective. When I use the d-pad switch, and hook up an ohm-meter to the blue and white wires that are from my original connector, I get a resistance which changes as I press buttons.

I can't seem to get a connection on the 6712 switch regardless of which pins i'm using.

Edit: retract most of this post, it seems that the red+white wire gives me a connection as opposed to the brown. Gonna test it now and see how it goes.
And? ?What happened? Did it work for you or not? Still wondering. lol
Old 5/16/15, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
And? ?What happened? Did it work for you or not? Still wondering. lol
It did!

I guess the wiring is a bit different when you have the 2013-14 wheel.
Old 5/17/15, 09:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
It did!

I guess the wiring is a bit different when you have the 2013-14 wheel.
I'm glad you got it all up and working correctly.

Let this be a lesson to all of us. Double check the wiring colors and if you have another color or colors of wires that are different, don't be afraid to ask or experiment with them. The only wires to leave alone are the air bag connectors.

Last edited by akdoggie; 5/17/15 at 09:39 PM.
Old 7/4/15, 02:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It looks as if this thread has finally ran out of steam. I'd like to try and thank those individuals to helped along the way, correcting my mistakes, and adding useful insight as the thread progressed. To all of you, Thank you.

To those of you who tried this install and made it work, I congratulate you, one and all. For the few who didn't have the luck or patience, I'm sorry that you couldn't make the system work. It was most likely your head not being set for SWC's or turned on for inline controls, etc. I hope that no one who tried, and didn't get it to work, won't quit trying to improve their Mustangs.

I found that Taurus, X, and Edge model radios, had the most options turned on when buying a used navigation head, so those were the units I used when I did my upgrades for people. I did find that some vehicles were easier to install navigation units to, than others. The easiest by far was the Ford Fusion, 2006-10. 10 minutes for in and out install. Unbelievable as hell.

The most difficult was the F150, from 2004-07 models. Those required adding two wires, at least. Some require J3 and J4 plugs to be added, so you can understand how difficult those can be. The Mustang's are difficult, but only to the fact you have to remove the upper console section, to get access to the radio panel. Other than that, Mustang's aren't that bad, but next to the Fusion, night and day.

Adding SYNC was a piece of cake. I did this to three vehicles. Two Mustangs and one F150. I added SYNC to the F150 to have the use of the wiring harness that came with the kit. I used one of the old eBay units that I bought 3 of, back when they were $63 or less. Now, they are astronomical. Cheapest I've seen is $290 right now. I'm glad I'm sitting on one, just in case I buy another Mustang.

Good luck with your future projects, guys and gals.
Old 7/5/15, 07:03 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
And thank you AK for all your help and insight. Without you these wouldn't have started.
Also thanks to those who helped make this possible.

This thread should be condensed on the first post and stickied!
Old 7/7/15, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive yet to install my newer wheel. Theres a recall on my 05 to replace the airbag inflater housings driver and passenger that came out last year. I called today and they dont even have the parts to do it. Had to make a appointment just for them to order the parts. They said I was the first one to even call on it. Once I get that done, I might try the wheel swap and will be using this thread for sure. It should be a sticky for sure
Old 11/11/15, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm glad that I ended up doing this mod to my car and was able to help others do it. I find that by having the steering wheel controls (from the 2012 Boss Strg Wheel) that I can now add a Nexus Tablet in place of my Navigation head. I will have full audio controls with the use of a Joycon EXR controller, so this SWC mod we did, has a second use with a different radio head. To me, this is a great thing. Its neat to be able to add and delete items, and have the end results look like it came that way from Ford.
Old 2/5/16, 10:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pulling this thread back to life for a minute - I have an '05 GT, built mid-December 2014 (Job 1?) with the Shaker 500 and no other audio mods. What connectors would I need to get cruise to work with a 2010-2014 steering wheel? Whether the audio controls work or not isn't a deal breaker but I do want the cruise to work. Thanks for any tips!
Old 2/5/16, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave
Go to search and look up boss 302 steering wheel into a 2005 GT.
You have to cut the original wires on the old harness and add to to new harness.
It gives you the color of the wires to cut and match.

Good Luck
AL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009