05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/14, 01:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks AK, but no need. I managed to identify the manufacturers and have them figure out which plugs they are and the part numbers.

We are pretty close to getting the 13/14 cluster working.

As for the pony puddles, i was going to start that after christmas, but if you have it figured out, I'll wait for your write up. I think I know were I want to tap into, though. I am keeping the stock mirrors.
Old 11/9/14, 11:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have my puddles already in my mirror heads but haven't put them in the car. It's because of the 28-34 degree temps we've had now for about 3 weeks. I decided to put them in the car in the spring. I'm using my painted 05-09 heads right now, so it isnt that important to be done this winter. I did find that they work much better with the five volt (7805 radio shack) regulator, and they won't burn out as quick as the guys have had happen. I got the idea from all the other things that require 5 volts in our cars and it seems to work very well. As far as power, either I'm going to go to the roof lights or probably to the right pillar and tie in there. Either way, it would work fine. Hope that helps.
Old 12/4/14, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

One of the members is trying to install a navigation head into his 09 and ran into problems. He bought a Mustang head, but those are NOT programmed for steering wheel audio controls. Remember, if you want to upgrade your steering wheel and want audio controls to work, you need the correct head or a head that has been programmed to accept steering wheel controls. Mustangs, in the 2005-09 range, never came with the controls, so the heads were never programmed to use them. You will need a head that came from a car that had steering wheel controls. The best heads are the 8 and 9 numbered units with the 2 upper chrome rings around the volume and right **** only. They usually have the most turned on functions.

I found an 8R3Z-18K931-DA out of an 08 Lariat F150 and it was perfectly set up. It had AM, FM1,2, Line In, Satellite Radio, DVD all turned on as well as back up camera, steering wheel controls and SYNC. This head would be ideal for the person who wanted everything. This radio and the 8G1T-18K931-EA and up, seem to be the ideal heads. There are a few Lincoln (silver face) units that are well featured also. I have those written down, so if anyone is looking for a specific number, let me know and we can see if I have it listed and what "should" be turned on with that particular number. It's not 100% foolproof, but it is reasonably accurate.Stay away from the Lincoln THX heads, as they are the same as the Shaker 1000's and those won't work because of the amp system.

Last edited by akdoggie; 12/5/14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12/9/14, 09:33 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
I have my puddles already in my mirror heads but haven't put them in the car. It's because of the 28-34 degree temps we've had now for about 3 weeks. I decided to put them in the car in the spring. I'm using my painted 05-09 heads right now, so it isnt that important to be done this winter. I did find that they work much better with the five volt (7805 radio shack) regulator, and they won't burn out as quick as the guys have had happen. I got the idea from all the other things that require 5 volts in our cars and it seems to work very well. As far as power, either I'm going to go to the roof lights or probably to the right pillar and tie in there. Either way, it would work fine. Hope that helps.
Hey AK.
I replied to your email. Did you ever get it?
Old 12/9/14, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No I didn't. I had a computer virus get into my email last week so I'm getting it back to normal now. It's taken some time. Do you want to resend it to me? Thanks.
Old 1/30/15, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everyone, sorry to dig up an old thread...

Can anyone confirm which of the 4 wires that go into the WPT connector correspond to each connection?

I've got Yellow, Blue, Purple, Green -- and which one is each of SWC1+, SWC1-, SWC2+, and SWC2-?
Old 1/30/15, 10:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What is happening Friedmaster? You going for this finally?

You are making me think back. The four wires you are adding go to the 16. 17. 18 and 19 pins in the J1 connector. The #17 and #18 are positive and the other two the negatives. Do you have the correct switch on the right of the steering wheel? Are you going with the navigation head? If so what did you take it out of? Did you check the radio and see if the SWC was on? It should say either 5 position or 6 position swc and can see that when you run the 3/6 button hold diagnostics.

Back to the wires. It is quick to just use a meter and check the switch for the positive and the negative. This way, you for sure, hook it up correctly. It would only take a couple seconds to check the out put and resistance. There is a chart in this write up on the power amounts to each particular button. I'd hate to tell you which is which, and then be wrong. It has been a year since I first wrote this, but the interest still seems to be here. I have to put in a navigation head into an F150 soon, but he doesn't want the swc buttons, so it is a 10 minute job. At least I will get my old Shaker back to keep as a spare. lol

Just looking at the sheet, It shows that it's 17 blue and 16 purple and 18 yellow and 19 green. Good luck.
Old 1/31/15, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Akdoggie,

Finally going on it. Using my Ford Clarion head unit with the better interface and had it programmed when I first installed it to eventually accept the correct controls.

I'm using a 2013 GT500 wheel, so just waiting on the correct left side switch to get it back in the car.... wiring harness completed.
Old 2/2/15, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

One more (unrelated) question for you Akdoggie,

If i recall correctly, you swapped your door panels for ones from a 2010... did the lock switch and window switches plug right in? or did you have to do any re-wiring?
Old 2/3/15, 02:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry Friedmaster. It wasn't me. I believe VGM was doing that. Maybe he did the door inserts instead. I know he put in a 2010 shifter and console and I think he was doing panels also. I'm sorry but I know nothing of what is different between those items. I know the plug in is different for the mirrors in 2013, they went to 7 pins instead of the common ones in our Mustangs. I did find this for you. Good luck and keep us up to date if you do this mod. Bill

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...33-post12.html
Old 2/3/15, 12:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Bill,

Did you do a write up on the pony puddle lights for 05-09?
Old 2/3/15, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No Jim, I didn't put it together yet. I have all the pictures and the layout, but I just haven't had the time to clean it up a bit and put it on site. I haven't figured which site I'm going to put it on this time. We got good results with Mustang Source on the audio controls, so maybe I'll just post it here again. I'll do it in the next couple weeks. I've been spending most of my time working with my new Quadcopter and getting the camera set up and such. Fur Rendezvous is coming up this month so I want to get some good dog sled pictures from the air. That should come out nice, and as long as I don't bother the dogs, should be okay.
Old 2/16/15, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the lower left side of the steering column, facing the dash, just under the headlight control lever, where the other WPT1242 goes into. I see you're made up harness has 2 connectors one WPT1242 and the other one is?? Can you please explain to me how you made that harness because I don't understand it at all. Also what size or part number are the female spade terminal connector?Thanks
Old 2/16/15, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wild T..they are both PT1242's. One inside the steering wheel, which attaches to the blue, purple, green and yellow wires from the right side controls. The wpt connector has all green wires, so you will have to choose which 4 to use. The wpt that goes under the column must be made to match exactly as the one inside the strg wheel. Each wire then has to have a piece added to it and then plugged into the radio ACM. To get the terminals to go inside the plug, I just took an old connector and removed the terminals. I then soldered them to the wires, by color to plug into the ACM slots. Remember that they go into the 16 to 19 slots, with the 17 and 18 being positive power. Does this help you out?
Old 2/16/15, 10:14 PM

Last edited by Wild Tang; 2/16/15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2/16/15, 10:18 PM

The harness from page 4,the one that is run to the acm connectors.We have a wpt1242 then you have another connector with blue,green,orange.. wires of the same colour going in and also coming out of the connector?Thats what troubles me
Old 2/17/15, 07:28 AM

@friedmaster Yes that was me but as AK explain I simply switch the door inserts. I wanted to switch the whole thing from a 07 to a 2010 but decided on just switching the padding which I got from Redline. Its a cheaper alternative and looks just as good!

@Wild Tang This part confused the hell out of me as well. You are not alone. What he did was he made his own wire harness. Go out and buy proper wire, then solder up the wpt1242 to one end. The other end of that wire are connectors from a pigtail that he had laying around. He took the pins out of that pig tail and use them for his harness. They just happened to be of the same color. If you need some of those connects PM me. I have a few extra. I hope this explains a little more.

Oh and your picture does not word.
Old 2/17/15, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
@friedmaster Yes that was me but as AK explain I simply switch the door inserts. I wanted to switch the whole thing from a 07 to a 2010 but decided on just switching the padding which I got from Redline. Its a cheaper alternative and looks just as good!

@Wild Tang This part confused the hell out of me as well. You are not alone. What he did was he made his own wire harness. Go out and buy proper wire, then solder up the wpt1242 to one end. The other end of that wire are connectors from a pigtail that he had laying around. He took the pins out of that pig tail and use them for his harness. They just happened to be of the same color. If you need some of those connects PM me. I have a few extra. I hope this explains a little more.

Oh and your picture does not word.
Thanks VGM... did you do a thread/writeup on it?
Old 2/17/15, 11:49 AM

On the Left Switch I have this colours what should I do with them: Red/White, Blue/White, Gray, Brown plus the Red and Black wires which are there already and I won't touch them.Thanks
Old 2/17/15, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by friedmaste99626
Thanks VGM... did you do a thread/writeup on it?
No I have not but I can write up what I did. Ill pm u.

Originally Posted by Wild Tang
On the Left Switch I have this colours what should I do with them: Red/White, Blue/White, Gray, Brown plus the Red and Black wires which are there already and I won't touch them.Thanks
Ill pm u as well with more details.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel audio mods 2010 Wheel on 2005-2009