05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Sound deadener install

Old 6/8/15, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I went with the less expensive and was happy with the results. Of course I don't have anything to compare it too. The slight difference in thickness can't be that big of a difference in killing sound as far as I'm concerned. Will you notice 1 db sound difference or what ever the difference will be? There are a couple of web sites that get pretty in depth as far as this stuff is concerned.
Old 6/18/15, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Second Skin offer arguably the best products currently. I'm going to start right behind my front seats and work my way back using their Damplifier Pro product.
Check it out here http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/
Old 11/29/15, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread... just wanted to thank you for inspiring me to (finally) do my roof as well.

Taking the headliner down was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be, simply: Remove visors and visor clip, Remove overhead console, remove a-pillars, remove the 2 push-pins over the rear seats, recline your seats all the way, and and slide the headliner forward. I didn't actually try to get the headliner out of the car, because it seemed unnecessary... just be careful and work around it.

I haven't been out for a road test, but based on the "tap on the roof" test, I'm expecting a massive, massive improvement in terms of echoing/drone/sound quality in the cabin. That roof is not very thick, and a very large area for resonance to take place.... each piece of dynamat I added made a noticeable difference on the whole panel.

Another advantage that I think I will get -- the car should be much quieter in the rain.
Old 11/30/15, 07:34 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
I'm so looking forward to doing this when summer comes around.
Old 2/3/16, 08:03 AM

has anyone heard of these guys?
http://hushmat.com

is that to much for the whole car?
Im currently looking into this so I can budget for this summer. Want to do the whole car if I can.
Old 2/3/16, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
has anyone heard of these guys?
http://hushmat.com

is that to much for the whole car?
Im currently looking into this so I can budget for this summer. Want to do the whole car if I can.
Hush Mat is good stuff. My old shop has almost exclusively switched over to them. I'm going to get some to try out soon, both for my Escape and the Mustang. Actually I already have some of their tiles on the Escape front doors - it's super stretchy and easy to work around curves!
Old 2/5/16, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Hush Mat is good stuff. My old shop has almost exclusively switched over to them. I'm going to get some to try out soon, both for my Escape and the Mustang. Actually I already have some of their tiles on the Escape front doors - it's super stretchy and easy to work around curves!
Thanks so much for the info!! Though I am curious if the price they are asking for the kit is good or too expensive.
Glad to know that its good stuff. I want to stay away from dynamat since its simply expensive roofing material. haha
Old 2/5/16, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Check out homedepot roofing section. They have this stuff on rolls. I forget what it is called but it's peel and stick.
Old 2/5/16, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Check out homedepot roofing section. They have this stuff on rolls. I forget what it is called but it's peel and stick.
No. Don't do this. It's not the same as Dynamat, and Dynamat is good stuff too, just expensive. They haven't changed their product in years. There's better options out there now.

Look up sounddeadenershowdown.com for more info.
Old 2/6/16, 01:16 AM

No. Don't do this. It's not the same as Dynamat, and Dynamat is good stuff too, just expensive. They haven't changed their product in years. There's better options out there now.

Haha thanks for the info but there was no way im was going to put roofing material in my car. Ive read a lot of people do this. If it works for them thats great.

Thanks for the link. I was leaning toward either hushmat or secondskin but ill check this out too.
I dont think I want to use butyl.
Old 2/6/16, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have done this in parts of my car and was satisfied with the results. Still sticking right where I put it after years of use. It is almost as thick as dynamatt but a lot less expensive. Its what I used on the roof.
Old 2/6/16, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like this stuff http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...Foam-Products/

good quality material
Old 2/6/16, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn

Glenn you are so Right:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...d=1018733&pl=1

This stuff looks and feels just like the expensive stuff. just used this on a House rebuild. it is strong way less expensive. Put this stuff side by side and you will be amazed.

After install it has the same look....
Old 2/6/16, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Glenn you are so Right:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...d=1018733&pl=1

This stuff looks and feels just like the expensive stuff. just used this on a House rebuild. it is strong way less expensive. Put this stuff side by side and you will be amazed.

After install it has the same look....
Ive been told that when you use the roofing material when its hot outside the inside of your car smells like asphalt shingles
Old 2/6/16, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have had no adverse effects or smells in the car. It has been in Arkansas 110 degree heat.
Old 2/7/16, 06:36 PM

I read that even if it looks and applys the same its not the same at all.
I dont know the logistics of it but from what i can remember is that sound deadner is specifically designed for audio and vibration while this roofing stuff is for the roof of a house not a car and wont perfrom as well.
Old 2/7/16, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have it on one of my houses. After install in Florida it never smells. I use it on the exterior walls for a WRB, Works great. The Lowes stuff is really good as it does not smell much even before install.
Old 2/8/16, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not saying it is as good as some other products but it killed alot of sound for less. It's not as thick as other products but seems to do a pretty good job. Would another 1/16 of and inch thickness make a huge difference?
Old 2/8/16, 07:47 AM

Maybe? I don't really know. I'm not out to disproving your methods, just trying to learn more about it before I make a choice!
Old 3/13/16, 09:40 AM

I've decided to go with SDS. Now to try and find a tutorial on how to go about it.
What section of the car needs what and all that....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound deadener install