05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Question for those who've done trunk release button

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/07, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those who've done trunk release button

OK, so I finally got around to doing this and got stumped at the starting line.

I know the wire I need to find is white with a pink stripe. I've found a thin white wire with what looks to my eyeballs like a red stripe. Is there another one in there that is definitely pink? There are a lot of wires in the bundle and it's not easy examining all of them.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Old 11/8/07, 12:35 PM

TRUNK RELEASE WHITE/PURPLE (-) @ SJB, BLACK 52 Pin Plug, Pin 13, See NOTE *1

NOTE *1 The SJB (Smart Junction Box) is located in the PASSENGER KICK PANEL.

hope that helps...
Old 11/8/07, 06:12 PM
GT Member

There was some discussion a while back about the white/purple vs the white pink. My memory says white pink.....check the trunk area and see if a white/pink wire goes to the lock area....I think you have to take the black light cover off.
Old 11/9/07, 08:24 AM

on my '06 vert that's what it was anyway, found it in pass kick panel.
Old 11/9/07, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, the suggestion that the white/purple wire was correct was discussed earlier. Several folks that used the white/pink wire made it work. I'm not sure what the deal is, unless something was changed during the model years. My car is an '05.

The other problem is that the stripe is really thin and colors like red, pink, even purple can look similar in certain light...and when viewed by substandard eyeballs, like mine
Old 11/9/07, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Pull the cover from the trunk lock area, separate the connector from the lock wiring harness. The harness that runs into the wiring bundle will have 2 thin wires, one being wht/pink (05 models). this wire runs in the main harness, under the passenger sill panel. Determine color, re-conect to lock assembly, open passenger door, pull up sill panel (a little bit of force is needed as they are double sided taped and there are 3 or 4 clips as well), open the harness tape up near the front of the passenger compartment, and match up the wire with what you have just seen in the trunk compartment (wht/pink on 05). With a test lite tool (sharp point with alligator clip) ground onto a bolt head under the dash and push test lite into suspect wire, trunk lid will pop if you have the correct wire. Tap into this wire with red scotch lock clip, run to switch, ground other side and you are done. total time 15-20 mins.
Old 11/10/07, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Paul. Excellent instructions. I'm actually part-way into this. I do have the passenger's side door sill plate off and I've gone through the wires a few times. There are a lot of wires and it's tricky to separate out each one to make sure I have the pink/white wire. I think I have it, and I think that is the correct one for my '05, as you mentioned.

I hate taking that cover off the trunk lock assembly, but the connector is exposed so I'll have a look at the wires there.

I think I can do it. I've just been overly careful lately because the car is (in my opinion) really close to perfect for me. I don't want to screw it up at this point.
Old 11/10/07, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As long as you DO NOT CUT the wires, you won't have any problem. Thw VERY THIN wht/pink wire was near the bottom of the harness. When you ground it, you will hear the trunk lock mechanism pop. If you do not have a test lite, (any auto parts store for about 15.00) you can very carefully cut away a bit of the wire insulation, hold a bare wire to the opened area and ground out the other end. This should work as well.
BTW.... do not forget to mount the switch in place befpr doing all your final hook-ups, so that you will not have an excessive amount of wires running from the switch behind the glovebox and down the kick panel area. Good Luck!
Old 11/10/07, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can do. Thanks
Old 11/11/07, 02:10 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm