05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/08, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz
The trick with the glove box is where to place the light....there are some plastic tabs up top in front, or maybe from behind. It would be like the console, always lit. I have never understood the lack of lighting in glove box, full trunk (it needs 2 lights...I did add one), and under the dash (as previously mentioned I added side markers here...really nice.

I'm a little concerned about the ambient lighting being too bright in the footwells..used to drive an Audi, it had ambient lighting from above...like from the overheads....really nice. I suppose with enough effort one could add here as well

Does the cupholder ambient through light into the interior or just in the cup holder.?..must be strange when a bottle of water is there.....
I suppose you could find a place to install a small plunger switch from a salvage yard donor car into the glovebox. That would turn the glovebox light on only when it is opened.

Follow the directions in the dealer installed PDF file for locating the LED in the cupholder. Mounting it the wrong way in the wrong location will throw distracting light up on the headliner. I wish I had discovered the PDF file first. I changed the loction of the cupholder light and now I will cover the old hole in the bottom with black carpet. I was planning on putting carpet in the bottom of the cupholders anyway.
Old 3/31/08, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't have those circular templates, so I used the posting pic as a guide. Came out exact and looks great IMO.
Old 4/3/08, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
I didn't have those circular templates, so I used the posting pic as a guide. Came out exact and looks great IMO.
Can you post pics of your install??? I haven't gotten around to doing the back footwells yet. I have had two big Anatomy & Physiology test this past two weeks. Uggh... Not enough time in the day....

I hope this weekends weather is nice so I can do some painting and install my Dual Exhaust and finish some of the mods I have started like my ongoing Bullitt intake hose conversion to fit my V6.
Old 4/5/08, 11:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
Can you post pics of your install??? .
When I get home from my trip to Virginia tomorrow I am going to take some more pictures of my install and share them with you guys.
Old 4/7/08, 07:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here are the pictures as I promised. The LED's are in recommended placement as used by Ford.

Cupholder and storage compartment LED's using Ford Dealer Installed Accessory recommended locations.

A better picture than before of the footwell and cupholder lighting...

Original Factory Equipment location of the rear footwell lighting...

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/7/08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 4/8/08, 04:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im gonna try this, but am wondering what to tap into on my 05 auto
Old 4/8/08, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Im gonna try this, but am wondering what to tap into on my 05 auto
Read the beginning of the thread. I tapped into the PRND321 bezel illumination wires which are blue and black located under the auto shift bezel on the left side. The main harness that supplies the all the power to the bezel light and the shift interlock has a 9 pin connector. The blue PRND321 bezel illumination wire transitions from light blue/red to solid blue after pasisng though the 9 pin conector. All the grounds are of course black.
Old 4/8/08, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thumbs up Just took some pics of mine

Here are some photos of mine. Lights out, uh-hu.....
LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0098.jpg

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0100.jpg

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0099.jpg

LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...-img_0102.jpg
Old 4/9/08, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I guess now I need to invest in a couple of bottles of water!

You can't see it here but I did buy some black automotive carpeting and line the bottom of the cupholders with it. I never liked things clanking around when I put things in it. However it also serves function to cover up my mistake of putting the LED hole in the bottom center of the cupholder.

Has anyone noticed how easy it is to scuff the console and door panel trim? They are molded in color and any scuff will turn white in color.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/9/08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 4/9/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

You can't see it here but I did buy some black automotive carpeting and line the bottom of the cupholders with it
Just my 2 cents... I actually went to Wal Mart a couple years ago and found some of those felt furniture moving pads in the hardware department and put them in the cup holders! They are the perfect size and most people don't even notice them (they are black and blend in perfectly)... They have a sticky side if you want to actually stick them to the bottom of the cup holder or you can leave the paper backing on and just drop them into the cup holder... That's what I do and it makes it easy for taking out if something spills in there or if I want to take them out to clean them or the cup holder bottom itself...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it cause it has worked great for me!
Old 4/24/08, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im so doing this when I get my interior redone this summer.
Old 5/7/08, 07:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just stopped off at my local Advance Auto Parts, and picked up one LED Pod (store only had 1 in stock, so they are transferring another one in from another store). I'll be working on adding the lighting this weekend. Just gotta go to Home Depot and get some 16 gauge speaker wire to start the install. What a great mod for VERY little cash!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 5/7/08 at 07:39 AM.
Old 5/7/08, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jeff, whats good man.. did you end up going tot hat show in Butler NJ?? If so how was it?
Old 5/7/08, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by superman112
Jeff, whats good man.. did you end up going tot hat show in Butler NJ?? If so how was it?
Hey Raf, yup, I went up. Weather held out. Good show and I took a picture of every Mustang there. I'll send them to you soon.
Old 5/9/08, 06:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm all set to tackle this mod this weekend. Got both LED Pods, and have some wire that I used to wire up my D3 Nav from the winter. Just have to get a few crimp connectors, to connect the wire to the pods, and I'm pretty much set. My plan is to connect these to the illumination wire for the 4-way flasher button. Its where I connected to the D3, and I can just tap into that source. So when I have my lights on, the footwells light up.

For those who own 2005, 2006 and early run 2007 models, and don't have the tab under the dash like the 2008s, I have already figured out a way to fix that. Once I get the material cut and fitted, I'll post some pics in a new thread.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 5/9/08 at 06:37 AM.
Old 7/7/08, 10:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If any of you are looking for pictures in my posts that now have red x's, refer to my photo gallery for the pictures...
Old 7/7/08, 11:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by watchdevil
If any of you are looking for pictures in my posts that now have red x's, refer to my photo gallery for the pictures...
Hey Angelo, thanks a bunch for posting this mod. I got it done on my car and LOVE IT!!! Really makes driving at night a lot better, with the lighting in the car. I'll have to get a picture of the lights on next time I have my camera (Saturday at a show). Thanks again, its a great, inexpensive mod!!
Old 11/3/09, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

So I know I'm brining up an old thread here but I have a question about the actual light pods. How big are they? 4 LED 10 LEDs? and is it a circular pod or a strip? I see that Optx makes several different kinds.
Old 11/3/09, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

personally, i did one of those LED ropes and had it stretch across one end to the other. it was a simple 2 wire hook up iirc. i just zip tied them to other bunches of wires.
Old 11/3/09, 11:35 PM
Cobra Member

interesting.... where did you get the rope from and what power source did you tap into? I'm seeing 9 LED strips for as little as 1.99 plus shipping

Quick Reply: LED Ambient Footwell Lighting...