05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing touch screen monitor

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/15, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Installing DIY touch screen w/Raspi controller

Okay, has anyone tried to take a 7 or 9 inch touch screen panel and install them into our S197's? I'm going to make up one this fall/winter and have it ready for install this coming spring.

I'm going to use a 9 inch touch screen, bought off eBay for $39. I will be also using a Raspberry Pi B+ model to power the unit. These can be pickup up on eBay or Amazon for around 35 or so. You might pay a little more for the 1MB memory one, but it will or would be useful in the final result. Anyways, with the monitor, the Pi, and some simple downloaded software, you can be up and running in no time and have a clean, totally touch capable monitor, and have everything that the big dollar 2Din radios have, but for a much lesser cost and you can do it anyway you want. This to me, is the best part of it all. You can have your own made up screen savers, add cameras (hidden) that might save you down the road, etc. Pandora, Navigation, you name it, its available doing it this way.

Here is a picture of the touch screen. It is actually cheaper to buy the 9 inch than the 7 inch for some reason. I found that the 9 inch fits perfectly into the radio face, so the 9 inch is by far the better choice of screens.

Anyone interested? For $100 or less, you could have one of the best set ups and still use it as a computer if needed. What do you think? Should we do a write up on this and see if it would be something that the MS bunch would be interested in? If you guys think so, then we'll make this thread take off. If not, ........
Attached Thumbnails Installing touch screen monitor-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/9/15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10/8/15, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
What do you use for audio? 3.5mm jack going to a 4ch amp? In which case you have the cost of the amp too
Old 10/8/15, 11:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There is that, but there are numerous amps available at little to no major cost, that would work nicely with this. Setting it up for bluetooth and wifi use, make it more than worth the effort to try it though. I already did the Navigation head, so it is time to try something else. I know there are different setups for using factory audio controls, so I will see if I can do the software and wiring for this to work also. Here is where I have to go find a couple 12 year olds to help me. lol. They know more about this kind of electronics than I'll ever know. lol.
Old 10/10/15, 10:20 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
This is an interesting idea. But didn't you just install the Nav head in your car? After all that work you want to change it out? Just curious.
A few questions. I was going to ask about audio as well.
What about steering wheel controls? Or the use of a SYNC like program?
Will it pick up radio? What about storage how big will you go?
i wish you luck.
i have a raspberry sitting in my drawer for years. Bought it when it first came out and still pondering what to do with it. This is ax excellent use for it.
Old 10/10/15, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

VGM. Yes, I added a navigation head to the Mustang and also to my Fusion and my F150. Those are great add on's, but like anything else, time to change things around. I've thought about this for quite a while, and now, with winter coming, it seemed like a good time to work on it. I have most of this stuff sitting in boxes in my house, other than the 9 inch touch screen, so the cost is minimal for me to try this. $40 is not bad for a 9 inch touch screen. I have for storage, a TB stand alone, that can be hard wired into the Mustang. This will give me room for all my games for the grandkid, all my songs (over 20k of them on my computer right now), and full navigation and have room for camera storage also. I have a backup camera, and will mount a front camera, as well as the regular windshield unit. Luckily all this will run thru the Raspberry pi, and into the storage unit, and all should work well. Let's hope my computer skills will translate into Raspi skills. I've decided to install Windows 10 as the operating system, which I have ready to go right now. As soon as I have my fingerprint sensor in hand, I will add it so that the car can't be started without a fingerprint. That should keep the thefts down. One can hope. lol If I don't like it, I can always put back in the factory navi head.

I'm setting up a go kart for my Grandson to use next summer, right now, so spare most of my time was collecting parts to make it work. I finally have it all now, so it is time to put it together. lol. I've managed to find everything and all of it cost me less than $40. The hard part was finding a 3-5 hp motor with a side shaft. So many lawn mowers, so few correct engines. lol. I finally found an engine out of a pressure washer, and have it ready to install now. Runs great, governor reset for 4000rpms, new exhaust, and set to install. Luckily I had a friend who had an old go kart sitting out back. It looks like new now, and If I could find a fiberglass S197 g/k body for it, would it be too much to ask for? lol

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/10/15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10/10/15, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I am assuming some custom work to the trim to make the screen sit nice and flush. This is probably a better way to go than the OEM navs which are already too limited.
Old 10/11/15, 04:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

After doing some serious measuring, I find that the 9 inch t/screen will fit with little to NO problems. It is tight, but fits right between the 2 side mounts that hold in the radio on each side. All 4 screws can be used to secure it to the dash. A simple metalic or plastic strip would hold the screen in perfect alignment. That is one item cleared up. At this time I don't anticipate having to remove any plastic from the face plate or inside the radio area. The 7 inch screen was too small and would of required a border be made to cover the lack of area that needed to be filled in. An 8 inch scrren would of ideal, but I coudln't find one available, so the 9 inch will do nicely. A bit tight, but very manageable.

Cavero asked about powering the speakers, and luckily I came up with a simple solution for the Rasp Pi. There is a $25 board, that gives stereo amp power using 2 RCA jacks for sound output. Using those with the Schoshe or Metra harness adapter should cure the hookup problem. Since I had the Shaker set up, it is easy to use the radio plugs, and adapters to give me what I need to keep everything in balance and correct. So I have 40 in the screen, 35 in the Pi, and 25 in the sound card. That is 100, and other than a nice mounting box, to go behind the screen, should be the end of my costs. I already have the B/tooth and WiFi dongles, and the storage ($51 new), so let's call it $160 I'll have into this set up. Other than time, I don't anticipate any other expenses, so I'm happy with what I'm seeing right now.

My setup will have Bluetooth, WiFi, Navigation, whatever Google Play apps I want to use, or can use them from my Galaxy phone. Also, I have the capabilites of adding a wireless game controller so my Grandson can play Angry Birds or Minecraft if he wants. All in all, I see this as an ideal way to get what I want in my Mustang and keep my Grandson happy in the process. I also like the way that I can add different cameras to it. With the TB of storage, driven by Windows 10, (maybe overkill), it should work like I believe it would and have plenty of recording capablities, as well as lots of MP3's and some movies in different formats. Good thing is if I want to show someone something, I can bring it up on the computer, and play the video right there for them. Nice for a person on the go, needing a bigger screen than an iphone or Android phone to see on. lol.

I could of used an 8 inch tablet but they are so limited on how much memory, how things fit etc for my liking. This is why I am doing it this way. Unless the tablet you were going to use has all the stuff built it, it would be hard to use one, and have it fit without any kind of major modifications. My way, you don't have the outer shell to contend with, you get an inch bigger screen, and you aren't limited to what was originally installed on that particular tablet. You buttons won't be on the side and impossible to get to either. All the way around, simplier to get to work, in my opinion, and less modification to my car.

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/11/15 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10/13/15, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doing the whole CarPC thing was all the rage about 8 years ago... of course, you could get any and every feature imaginable, right in your dashboard.

I had thought about doing it then, and ultimately decided against it due to the fact that the software out there just wasn't all that user friendly, and I really liked being able to operate the radio without looking at the screen.

Fast forward 8 years, and there's a lot more available in terms of Apps, but you're still dealing with the fact that you're trying to adapt a bunch of software designed for a cellphone, to a car... with a user interface that is entirely touchscreen, as opposed to the hybrid that most GPS systems have where frequent tasks can be completed with physical buttons.
Old 10/13/15, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Doing the whole CarPC thing was all the rage about 8 years ago... of course, you could get any and every feature imaginable, right in your dashboard.

I had thought about doing it then, and ultimately decided against it due to the fact that the software out there just wasn't all that user friendly, and I really liked being able to operate the radio without looking at the screen.

Fast forward 8 years, and there's a lot more available in terms of Apps, but you're still dealing with the fact that you're trying to adapt a bunch of software designed for a cellphone, to a car... with a user interface that is entirely touchscreen, as opposed to the hybrid that most GPS systems have where frequent tasks can be completed with physical buttons.
Jason, thanks for the input. I thought about this back when the tablets were first coming out, but they weren't powerful enough (most of) to work right when used in a car or truck. A lot of interuption and distortion. I shyed away from doing it too. Costs have changed, so trying things now is much easier and cheaper than 8 years ago.

So far, for about $160, including screen, pi, amp, sound card, etc, I've got a table model working with bluetooth and wifi built in. I will be powering them with 2-USB power modules 5 volt units (cost 4.88 ea) so that the pi and screen, as well as the storage/writer have there own power terminals. I still have to add voice recognition software and can use my Sync microphone, if I do decide to install it in the Mustang.

This summer, my grandson wanted to learn about Raspi. I knew nothing of it, but had a decent computer knowledge so I told him we'd try. This is actually his and my combination of work. He's almost 7 and knows this stuff better than I could or would of imagined. He took right to where wires needed to be placed, etc. Resistors, he's a bit shakey, but getting much better at telling what is what and how to use it. These kids today are amazing, but you have to keep them interested or it's on to the next big thing.

I hope he stays with this, as he has quite a bright future in IT or electronics, it seems anyways. We just built last week, a home arcade powered by Raspi and we put all the old arcade games on it. He picked what games, I installed them and it's up and running. Still needs some paint, but it is in use, so paint will have to wait a few days. lol Still trying to figure out where to mount a steering wheel and pedals. I may have to build a separate housing for the Pole Position and type games and have it mount to the big case and use the arcade internals. That could work, lol.
Old 10/16/15, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
this sounds very interesting. Can you post up details of all the products used? I have been looking at doing something like this for awhile now. I bought a Nexus 7 tablet and thought I would go that route, but changed my mind. I am a IT, so the Raspi sounds pretty cool for this.
Old 10/17/15, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sean. Here are the simple items first then:

wifi dongle, bluetooth dongle, Raspberry Pi (model use up to you, B+ is best), Touch screen unit, either 8 or 9 inches (fits the best, but 7 inch can be used with a trim border). You will also need either a small USB hub (if you use other than a Rasp Pi B or B+). You will need the SD card for the Raspi, using whatever design software you like the best. There are numerous types, so use what you like best for your Operating system driver. The stuff is open use, so it is free, and you just have to choose what you want to use. I'll post up all the software stuff in another post later, once I write it all down and not try and take it from memory.

If you want to amp up your output, a small simple amp is all that is necessary. I threw in a small $12 unit from eBay, and about blew the speakers out on my test inside the house. It worked great and so cheap. You will need either a USB type GPS dongle, or an app that has the software, but you will need to add an antenna for GPS, unless your GPS dongle has the antenna mount. Mine was a cheap USB unit with a antenna that folded. I opened the GPS case up and where the antenna attached, desoldered the two wires and added a GPS antenna from a Ford (had laying around, an extra). I soldered on the two wires and now it works and can be mounted under the dash without problems. Room is the big thing, and luckily all this is small in size, so it fits comfortably inside the school box. When I install the box in the dash, it will NEED the fan, I just found out. All the stuff inside it, brings the temp up to over a comfortable temp, to me.

So far, that is the main stuff needed, besides a Metra or Schosche adapter harness kit, for the amp wiring and powering the USB hub. I thought about using a radio mounting frame kit, but since I went with 9 inch screen, didn't need it. If I used a 7 or 8 inch screen, I would of needed the mounting frame, most likely. The 9 inch fits flat to the mount, and is held in with the 4 radio mounting screws originally used. Oops, I forgot to add that you will need to use an add on board for the Raspi so that you will have stereo and better use of the sound card. It is an item that cost approx. $23-26 on eBay, depending on what Raspi you use. That unit has RCA jacks, so that makes adding it to the Mustang easy, using the Metra or Schosche kit.

The rest is in the software, basically and of course putting it into the car. I took my 1 TB HD, and mounted it in a small plastic box for kids school. All the hardware is stored in this box, and held in place with hot glue, to keep it from moving around in the box. I also drilled numerous holes in it to keep air flowing thru it. It's still a work in progress, but almost finalized. It isn't bulky when all the wiring is in the box, as well as the hardware, so it works well, so far. Putting it in cars will decide if it will work for us, as far as GPS reception, but I did the testing is a metal building, so I believe it will work well in the Mustang then.

I'll post up a complete list later, with the sources and current costs. I threw this together to give everyone an idea of what is involved. It is a very easy item to put together, if you have a small amount of computer skill, or have a general knowledge of computers and or cars. I'd rate it a 4 to 6 on a 10 scale for difficulty. IT is more logic and common sense, then anything else. Everything is easily downloaded (software and it's all free), so other than hooking a few wires up and such, not such a big deal.

What I paid approximately
Raspi 35
Stereo card 25
9inch T/S 40
amp 12
2 USB power adapters 10
1TB storage 54
misc (box, wiring, etc) 5
wifi/bluetooth adapters 10
All this totals to about $190, but it makes this something that only you have, and for less than 200, quite a bargin in my opinion. Luckily, if anything goes wrong with this, I can replace or whatever that one piece, and not throw away a 500-800 radio head when it quits working. This here, is just replace the item(s) and go on. lol

akdoggie

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/17/15 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10/17/15, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie

Cavero asked about powering the speakers, and luckily I came up with a simple solution for the Rasp Pi. There is a $25 board, that gives stereo amp power using 2 RCA jacks for sound output. Using those with the Schoshe or Metra harness adapter should cure the hookup problem. Since I had the Shaker set up, it is easy to use the radio plugs, and adapters to give me what I need to keep everything in balance and correct. So I have 40 in the screen, 35 in the Pi, and 25 in the sound card. That is 100, and other than a nice mounting box, to go behind the screen, should be the end of my costs. I already have the B/tooth and WiFi dongles, and the storage ($51 new), so let's call it $160 I'll have into this set up. Other than time, I don't anticipate any other expenses, so I'm happy with what I'm seeing right now.
You mean the RCA jacks as pre-outs, right? Or are they going to be high-level (enough power to drive the speakers)?
Old 10/17/15, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the details. I am curious where you got everything, so I can start my planning and playing with it.
Old 10/17/15, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
You mean the RCA jacks as pre-outs, right? Or are they going to be high-level (enough power to drive the speakers)?
Answers to your questions are yes, as preouts, and yes plenty of power. It had enough to about destroy my two speakers I hooked up to get an idea. I was quite surprised. And quite happy I will add.

Sean. I bought almost everything off eBay this summer as I said, when my grandkid decided this is what he wanted to play with. I had extra pieces, so I decided I would give this a go. What made it possible was the sound board for the amp that I was describing I used to Cavero. If you are not in a hurry, it is easy to bid on items and get them cheaper than the buy it nows. Sometimes BIN is better and you can get super deals. I bought a 7 inch screen with power board and everything for $17 delivered, just two weeks ago. The 9 inch t/s was only 38. delivered. I bought a used Pi with card, a bunch of stuff with it, for 35, where a new one is about that, if not a bit more. That is just how I buy. I may have to build me my own motion tracking camera for the back corner, just incase I should get pulled over. It would be remote activated and could be run off the Pi in dash. The tilt/turn mount is available right now for only $7.00 on eBay and would be great to add a small camera or even a GoPro. Hmmm. I have one of these and saw it could work.
ihttp://www.ebay.com/itm/310720279784?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/19/15 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10/19/15, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would you be able to provide some ebay links to the stuff you got to help us out?
Old 10/19/15, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here are some examples that you can work with. they will give you the basic parts used. Feel free to find cheaper pieces, and you can. You asked for a general parts list and this is what I came up with on the quick. Hope this helps you some Sean. Like I said, find the items listed for their best prices and go from there. I'm sure I left something out, but will try and correct that tonight. Good luck.

Amazon.com: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Project Board - 1GB RAM - 900 MHz Quad-Core CPU: Computers & Accessories
raspberry pi B+
Amazon.com: Tontec® 7 Inches Raspberry Pi LCD Display Screen TFT Monitor AT070TN90 with HDMI VGA Input Driver Board Controller: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Tontec® 7 Inches Raspberry Pi LCD Display Screen TFT Monitor AT070TN90 with HDMI VGA Input Driver Board Controller: Computers & Accessories
7 inch touch screen
Amazon.com: Generic HDMI+VGA+2AV Driver Board+7inch 800*480 AT070TN90 LCD Panel For Raspberry Pi: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Generic HDMI+VGA+2AV Driver Board+7inch 800*480 AT070TN90 LCD Panel For Raspberry Pi: Computers & Accessories
7 inch t/s
Amazon.com: SainSmart 9 inch TFT LCD 800*480 Touch Screen Display for Raspberry Pi 2 B+ B: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SainSmart 9 inch TFT LCD 800*480 Touch Screen Display for Raspberry Pi 2 B+ B: Computers & Accessories
will NOT work due to size of back board.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Car...tUKMNW&vxp=mtr socket
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-B...BV7SfD&vxp=mtr
extention cable for USB and phone jack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-USB-C...dVMbSw&vxp=mtr
adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi...AAAOSwyQtViuNm
pi b*
Amazon.com: SainSmart HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B+ 2: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SainSmart HIFI DAC Audio Sound Card Module I2S interface for Raspberry pi B+ 2: Computers & Accessories
sound card
Old 10/19/15, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where did you find the 7" and 9" touch screens you referred to for such a low price? The links you gave are what I have been finding and nowhere near what you said you paid for.
Old 10/19/15, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Today I ordered Raspberry Pi 2 model B, USB BT, USB Wifi and a case, so that I can start playing with it.
Old 10/19/15, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Like I said before, you just have to keep looking. I try for auctions first, but will settle for a Buy It Now if the price is right. There is no guarantee of any pricing, just look for your best deal. If I see something that pops up that is cheap, I will post it to this site, so you might have a chance to get one that way also.

Here are a few pictures of the things laid out. I showed both a Raspberry Pi B model and a B + unit too. You will see that one has 2 USB ports and the B+ has 4. This is why I suggest using the B+, mostly to keep from adding a USB hub. The B will work as well, you'd just need a hub for using 3 or 4 USB ports.
Attached Thumbnails Installing touch screen monitor-sam_7980.jpg   Installing touch screen monitor-sam_7982.jpg   Installing touch screen monitor-sam_7983.jpg   Installing touch screen monitor-sam_7985.jpg  
Old 10/19/15, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

What's that bezel from that your 9" screen fits into?

Quick Reply: Installing touch screen monitor