05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005 Dash lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/14, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dash lighting

Hey guys - I am new to this forum, but not new to mustangs. My last was a 2003 terminator and I just bought a used 2005 Mustang GT for my son. Quick question on the dash lights - specifically the lights for the light switch and dimmer switch as well as the cruise control. The question is - should they be lighted?

Got the car home and it had gotten dark (car was bought 2 hours away). All dash lights seem to work fine, but I noticed that the ONLY light on near the light switch and dimmer **** was the small light that indicated the fog lights were on. Is that normal - or should the icons/indicators for the parking lights, etc, dimmer be lit as well? Does anyone have a pic if so?

Also - the cruise control works fine and when I engage it - I see the small green steering wheel indicator light come on in the dash. My questions is - is there a light that should come on when I push the on/off switch on the left side of the steering wheel. Again - it all works and there might be no light that indicates i have pushed the on button, but since this is our first 05-09, I wanted to get your opinion. Thanks!
Old 10/25/14, 07:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Light switch and cruise on have no dash lights.
Old 10/25/14, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes the headlight switch has a bulb in it new from the factory. Most are burnt out early but there is a bulb there. It is special and Ford does NOT service it. It is available from Honda parts but not from Ford. Go figure. You can use a long legged LED and solder it back into the bulb connector. I would try the LED route first. Here is a picture of the back of the switch. You can see the bulb holder on the right side above the center above the number 19.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Dash lighting-headlight-sw.jpg  
Old 10/26/14, 05:05 AM

Thanks. What exactly is illuminated? What should it look like? Because I do have a small horizontal light light that indicates the fog lamps are on, but no icons or other aspects of the lights are illuminated. Thanks again
Old 10/27/14, 07:33 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Ok see if I can help you with this as I took mine apart and know a lot about this switch..
In this image here (http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ightSwitch.jpg) you can see what is suppose to be lit up. The fog light indicator (the -) the P the D and the O are lit up.
The - fog indicator is lit up from an LED that us built in, the rest are using a bulb as AK has mentioned (I do have an extra bulb if you need).
If you want to change the color or even make it brighter what you can do is solder an SMD LED to the leads where the bulb is suppose to go. Also not that the light piping plastic that lets the light shine through to the O, P and D is tinted green. If you want a white light or any other color BUT green you will have to take it out and wipe off that green tint. It isnt hard to do.
Take a look at this thread. It explains how to change the LEDs in the dash, its pretty much the same process.
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...itches-463262/

If you have any other Qs LMK!

Last edited by VGMStudios; 10/27/14 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10/28/14, 05:55 PM

Thanks! So since the existing led is still good because the fog lamp indicator lights, I should be able to pop open the switch and change the bulb for the P, D, and O - correct?

Also, is the dimmer switch illuminated as well?

Thanks again!
Old 10/29/14, 12:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
There is a small symbol above the dimmer roller switch that will also light up when the bulb is on. It basically goes between the dimmer and the headlight/parklight symbols.
Old 10/29/14, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
There is a small symbol above the dimmer roller switch that will also light up when the bulb is on. It basically goes between the dimmer and the headlight/parklight symbols.
Is that also illuminated by the same LED? I just opened mine up and it is cooked! melted some of the interior plastic around the bulb as well. Minor - but it goes to show hot it got...

Anyone know which bulb it takes?

VGMStudios - you said you had an extra one. Where did you get it from? Thanks!
Old 11/5/14, 09:27 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Incorrect AK. The symbol above the dimmer roller does not light up. There is no light piping to this symbol. Its just a sticker.

Originally Posted by toro1966
Is that also illuminated by the same LED? I just opened mine up and it is cooked! melted some of the interior plastic around the bulb as well. Minor - but it goes to show hot it got...

Anyone know which bulb it takes?

VGMStudios - you said you had an extra one. Where did you get it from? Thanks!
I got my extra one from another switch assembly. Since I swapped mine out for a blue LED I have the bulb still. If you want it PM me.
I live in Canada though.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 11/5/14 at 09:29 AM.