05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

V6 Pony package grille on a GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/10, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Pony package grille on a GT

Has anyone been able to make the grille from a pony package V6 fit on the bumpeer of a GT?
Old 8/21/10, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

five oh brian and i have. he was my inspiration, but we went about it in different ways.

actually i was going to do a DIY on it today for someone... but the hospital kept calling me in and i never got around to it.
Old 8/22/10, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Can you post a photo of your car with it on?
Old 8/22/10, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

these are some older pics i had on my hard drive:

it isn't perfect. In the lower corners, where the grille and bumper meet, there are small gaps... but nothing that noticeable.

brian five oh has a thread where it shows his grille. i think some may have been lost in the forum's server crash. i found one of his threads talking about it, but couldn't find the one i was thinking of.

edit: oh, ok. i just saw your post about the shelby cs6 grille. not sure how different it is to the pony v6 grille, but i am sure you could get it to fit with modifications to the grille.

Last edited by sound wave; 8/22/10 at 01:40 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 8/22/10, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Does it requir major work to make it fit or just a little cutting. I dont want to spend 400 on a kit that I wont be able to make easily fit.

thanks
Old 8/22/10, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

well, the major work was finding out what worked.

the way i finally settled on was easy. i just used a dremel, chrome door edge guard and black gorilla tape. no problems with it falling off.

then again, i can't speak for the shelby grille... but if it has the same tabs as the pony grille (which i would imagine it does), you will have to destroy most of the tabs in the back except for 2.

i really should work on that DIY. just that i don't want to start it and then get called in to the hospital again while my car is apart.
Old 8/22/10, 05:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Cool

Much as I like the pony pkg. grill, I decided to do my own thing.
Pony corral from the pkg. and shiny driving lights.
Mine looks like this:
V6 Pony package grille on a GT-p1000785.jpg
Old 8/26/10, 10:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's mine (as Gary noted, there's just a tadbit of gap in the lower corners, but only if you really look hard to see it)....

From under the hood, you'd never know it wasn't factory...

Old 8/27/10, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I never thought of this modification but I gotta admit, it looks **** good. Awesome job with being innovative guys.
Old 8/27/10, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I like the look. But before I fork out 400 for the kit, what kind of modification is required ot make it fit?

Thanks
Old 8/28/10, 02:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sound wave
these are some older pics i had on my hard drive:

I like what you did with the vintage GT badge and Mustang lettering in the side stripes...
Old 8/29/10, 03:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks. was trying for the 66 gt look.... that is why i was happy when i saw that brian got the v6 pony grille to fit.

joeyabs, sorry... i started doing a diy the other day and my pictures were coming out really dark in my parking garage. i decided not to do it. i am doing a cut and paste of what i wrote to someone else recently:

.... yes there are problems getting it to fit. biggest one is that none of the tabs on the grille line up with the existing tab holes on the bumper. if you try to line them up, you will see where two of the tabs on the grille will line up with "ears" on the bumper. what i did was dremel out slots on the ears to accept the tabs from the grille. i broke off the rest of the tabs. after that, what i did was use black gorilla tape (duct tape) and taped the sides of the grille to the bumper.... ghetto, but my other plans of making brackets didn't come out well. you can't see the tape at all because i bought midwest autogear radiator extensions that cover up that area. http://www.midwestautogear.com/Produ...Extensions.php

i also ended up putting on chrome door trim guard around the perimeter of the grille (before you put the grille on the bumper!!!! very hard to do it after... ask me how i know that) otherwise, there is a noticable gap. if you want the cleaner look, you can use black door edge trim. i tried that first, but changed over to chrome. good luck.
btw, the fogs are a direct plug and play deal.
Old 8/29/10, 09:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j0eyabs
Well I like the look. But before I fork out 400 for the kit, what kind of modification is required ot make it fit?

Thanks
Got mine for free. Simply swapped grills with a friend who owns an '06 V6 Pony Pkg who wanted my GT grill. Bought some weatherstripping and some mending plates to create my own brackets (hidden under the radiator cover). You can see some pics of the behind-the-scenes assembly by clicking here.
Old 8/30/10, 12:10 AM
Bullitt Member

So the grille wont mount up without those mending plates?
Old 8/30/10, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
thanks. was trying for the 66 gt look.... that is why i was happy when i saw that brian got the v6 pony grille to fit.

joeyabs, sorry... i started doing a diy the other day and my pictures were coming out really dark in my parking garage. i decided not to do it. i am doing a cut and paste of what i wrote to someone else recently:

btw, the fogs are a direct plug and play deal.
I have a bullitt so it has no harness for the fogs, but the pony package grille comes with a harness.
Old 8/30/10, 12:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by j0eyabs
So the grille wont mount up without those mending plates?
i think that is the only thing holding his grille on. i believe he broke off all of his tabs.

mine has the two lower grille tabs secured to the bumper and duct tape from behind.

ok.. found a pic of someone else's bumper.

if you look along the bottom row of the bumper grille opening, two of the tabs will be solid and not have any slots in them. these are the ONLY two that happen to line up perfectly with two of the locking tabs on the v6 grille. along the bottom edge, i dremeled thin slots in these two tabs so that the locking tabs on the grille can click into it. the bumper material is pretty soft, so you can force the locking tab into a relatively thin slot. don't make it too thick or else it won't secure the grille (put blue painters tape on the surface of the bumper so that you don't damage it while using the dremel)

i broke off all the other tabs since they will get in the way. then i used black duct tape from behind to hold the sides of grille to bumper. the tape is pretty well hidden... especially when you use the radiator cover extensions.

i suppose if you wanted, you could do a combination of mine and brian's. that way, it will be securely held in on the top and bottom.... but i have had mine on for a couple years and had no problem with it coming off. duct tape (gorilla tape) is pretty strong.
Old 2/8/14, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Got mine for free. Simply swapped grills with a friend who owns an '06 V6 Pony Pkg who wanted my GT grill. Bought some weatherstripping and some mending plates to create my own brackets (hidden under the radiator cover). You can see some pics of the behind-the-scenes assembly by clicking here.
I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me how to find those specific "mending plates" you made? I have my Pony Package Grille that I want to swap out from the GT grille.
Old 2/25/14, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thought I would add my photos of my install. My friend and I accomplished it after about five hours of trial and error.

We used the weatherstripping idea to fill gaps. Also, to help secure it we used zip ties and the constructed brackets shown.

I'm very pleased. If it isn't clear, my car is originally a V6 Pony Package. I had put a GT bumper on my car in 2008. But, I saved the Pony grille. I'm glad I never got rid of it.

I want to get my car looking mostly original cosmetically. This was one of the biggest hurdles. I am waiting for my replacement V6/GT500KR spoiler to get painted.
Old 3/30/14, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 6/21/18, 02:29 PM

I am looking at purchasing a 2007 GT and I want to have the pony package grille. I had one on my 2005 V6 (Which I had to install). Go to know it can be done. I like the look much better.

Quick Reply: V6 Pony package grille on a GT