Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > 05-09 Exterior Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 9/10/05, 4:03 AM   #1
Cobra R Member

I want to remove the side GT emblem, how do you do it? How is it held on?

I am putting another emblem on in its place with 3M tape. How do you prep the body to accept it better? Alcohol wipe down??

Thanks
JLT CAI with SCT X-cal 2 Tuner (93 BAMA Tune); Gold; Shelby stripes; CDC Ducktail & Classic Chin Spoiler Installed by E & J Automotive; 67 GT 350 badging; Steeda Ultra Lite springs & UDP; Hurst Shifter; FRPP 4.10 gears; SLP LT Headers with catted X-Pipe; Cervini Hood; BMR Fabrication: 18x9/18x10 W/ Nitto 555; Prior Mustangs: 1966 200CID, auto, Pony Interior, 1968 289 Coupe, 2007 GTCS.

http://traffic142.gotstang.com Need your votes for face off's.

While I applaud Dodge for hiring blind people, you shouldn't let them style an entire Car; from J Campisano at MMFF on the new Dodge Charger.
traffic142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/10/05, 6:19 AM   #2
Team Mustang Source

Paul

Send a message via Yahoo to Torch_Vert
Quote:
Originally posted by traffic142@September 10, 2005, 5:06 AM
I want to remove the side GT emblem, how do you do it? How is it held on?
I am putting another emblem on in its place with 3M tape. How do you prep the body to accept it better? Alcohol wipe down??

Thanks

You have to grind it off, it's welded to the fender

Well, okay, it's actually just help on by some double sided tape, with a couple pins to position it. Just use something like an old credit card to slide under the emblem and break the tape seal. This will be easier if the car is hot.

For prep I'd probably use a dish detergent rinse (Dawn) to strip the wax, followed by a degreaser to be sure.
1st X-Charger Manual
1st X-Charger Convertible
1st X-Charger Xtreme Manual
328RWHP/340RWTQ
Torch_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/10/05, 6:45 AM   #3
Cobra Member

Send a message via AIM to Badsnke98
Dude, use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive. Then start at one end using a clean smooth plastic putty knife or dental tape will also work. Keeping the hair dryer on it.Its easier if a friend helps (a third hand).

Alcohol will work just fine to clean any residue, wax or polish.
COBRA 98- Coupe #1207 Crystal White, Black Leather, 275/40/17s', FRPP Chrome Cobra R 7x9s', FRPP Cobra R hood/airbrushed mural, CDC <<<taillights>>> FRPP springs, Steeda c/c, SVO/Borla s/ex, Pro 5-0 w/stock handle, Bullitt peds, fuel door, shif t/r, MGW int *****, BBK L/T's, S/S o/r H, FRPP alum d/s, FRPP 4.10's, ASP u/d's w/bal, Taylor purple wires, Envoy Fogs, S/S Cobra sill plates, GT 500 fender badges. DYNO: 290.7rwhp/284.7rwtg SAE
To view either Stang checkout My website on gotstang
2005 GT Prem,coupe, Build Date 10/12/04 Vin# 1ZVFT82*****07765 MSRP $28,275.00
(X-plan $26,146.31) Satin Silver Metallic, Dark Charcoal, 17" Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels, Auto, Active Anti-Theft, Int Upgrade Pkg, Rear Spoiler, Wheel Locks. ONE "SWEET" GT Mine to care for and do the mods as told. It belongs to the "Female Dog". C&L CAI with SCT 2 Alternative Auto "Automatic" Tune, 93 Octane Tune, Installed! MGW Chrome Interior Knobs, Oil and Rad Cap. 2007 Ford Intake Cover. Web-E <<<taillights>>>
Badsnke98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/10/05, 7:04 AM   #4
Bullitt Member

From what I've read in one of the other threads, just park overnight in the wrong neighborhood

Seriously, it sounds as if you already have the answer. I would vote for the third hand assistant also
96 Mystic Cobra bought 04/07
ATE Superblue brake fluid, Russell S/S brake lines. MM K-Member Brace, Tokico HP shocks/struts, Eiback pro-kit springs

He who Hesitates is lost. (usually misses a few gears also)
MY05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/10/05, 7:09 AM   #5
Mach 1 Member

Jim

I used dental floss (about four strands together) and a sawing motion to cut the adhesive. Most of the residue could be rolled off with your finger like rubber cement, then some Goo-gone for a final cleaning. No problem!
Old 9/16/05, 7:43 AM   #6
ronkay

just pull them off with a pair of plyers, thats what i did
Old 9/17/05, 5:42 AM   #7
Shelby GT350 Member

Brad

RWTD 2.6 KB '05 GT
Quote:
Originally posted by ronkay@September 16, 2005, 8:46 AM
just pull them off with a pair of plyers, thats what i did
Pair of pliers and blow torch, gonna get medievil on it.

Or, you can use the tool:

Click the image to open in full size.

Or, you can just heat it up with a hair dryer, and wedge a credit card or soft plastic tool under it to gently lift it. Probably not going to be able to get it off without bending it, so once it's lifted away from the car, just grab it with a pair of pliers and get it the rest of the way off.

Clean up with some goof off or goo gone or something. Wipe the area down several times with isopropyl alchohol to get rid of the wax. Washing the area with Dawn will do the same, but don't use any other household detergent or soap.
KB 2.6L @ 8psi/ 39# Inj / 90mm MAF/ BAP/ Spec Stage 3+ & AL Flywheel / Dennys DS/ Corsa AB's/ CHE Dbl Adj LCAs, Panhard & Anti Squat/ Roush Rr Springs/ MGW Shifter & Gripper/ Earl's SS Lines/ Stoptech Rotors/ Hawk HPS Pads/ 18x9/10 CT-Rs/ Nitto 555 255/45 & 305/40DR / Yellow Optima/ SOS Pod, Ultralite Gauges, DashHawk, Redline Leather boots/armrest, NR Auto AL cluster, GG Bailey mats, BSM Stripes, SS Center Fog Grille, GT500 Spoiler, MAG Mirror Inserts, GT/CS Rear Bumper, Roush Hood scoop, JVC 7" DVD head unit, etc.
Hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/17/05, 9:32 AM   #8
Cobra Member

I used some 6lb fishing line. I just doubled it up and ran it back and forth on both sides til I hit the pins. Pried up the edge and pulled it off. I got the rest of the double sided tape off with my fingers and wiped it down good with some alcohol and a rag. 10 min. job for both together.
IUP, Shaker 500, Active anti-theft, Wheel locks
Ordered- November 11, 2004, VIN - 17 FEB 05, Build Date - Locked in week of March 7th! (04 Mar 05), ARRIVAL DATE - March 18, 2005
Mods - Pro-Dyno Dynojet -295 hp, 314 tq, SLP Loudmouth, K&N Intake, Jet TBS, SCT XCal II Bamachips tunes, RedLine Tuning Quick Lifts, Ultimate Pedals, Saleen S.T.S, 06 Pony Tribar, Trunk Monkey
Mustang69-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/08, 4:22 PM   #9
GT Member

does this mess up the paint underneath?
MUSTANGLOVER73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/08, 6:43 PM   #10
Team Mustang Source

Rob

2008 DHG Bullitt #5211
Send a message via Yahoo to OKLACOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang69-05 View Post
I used some 6lb fishing line. I just doubled it up and ran it back and forth on both sides til I hit the pins. Pried up the edge and pulled it off. I got the rest of the double sided tape off with my fingers and wiped it down good with some alcohol and a rag. 10 min. job for both together.

This is the same method I used, except I did heat it up w/ a hair dryer first.......works like a charm. I used Goo Gone to remove the remaining adhesive. It won't hurt your paint at all. Before you put your new emblem on be sure to use alcohol to really clean the surface.
2008 Bullitt #5211 Dark Highland Green
OKLACOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/5/08, 9:07 PM   #11

Ketch

'09 Mustang GT Vert
Garage
Sounds like you guys know what you talking about here. So now I have a question for you. I've been trying to research removing the emblems, not for replacing but to have a nice clean look. In this thread you tell of holes being left after the emblem removal for guiding pins. However, in other threads, I here of nothing of that. Just people having clean lines, no holes afterwards. And the clean lines after removing the emblem is what makes them wonder about putting new ones on or not. Maybe just leaving them off to be a little different.

Is the guiding holes on all models after 2005? Or maybe there just on GT's? Are they on convertables? What is the answer? Can you please help me find the true answer on this before I strip my emblems and find out I have to replace them with new ones or not.

Thanks guys, Cheers!!!
Cruisinketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/5/08, 10:33 PM   #12
Mach 1 Member

Steve

2007 MUSTANG GT
I can tell you first hand that an 06 vert has pin holes.

2007 Performance White GT Convertible
Smiles Per Gallon, PRICELESS.....

Gone but not forgotten: 1996 Mystic Cobra, 1996 GT Vert., 2000 SVT Lightning, 2006 GT Legend Lime Vert., 2008 VAPOR SILVER Roushcharged GT
ARBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/5/08, 11:13 PM   #13

Ketch

'09 Mustang GT Vert
Garage
Let me make this easier for myself. Is there guiding pin holes on '08 GT Verts after emblem removal?
Cruisinketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/6/08, 5:48 AM   #14
Cobra R Member

05 Sonic Blue GT 4 spd - Ok, my other car is red...
Garage
More info - (scroll down to see the holes)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...Emblem+Removal
Frankenmuffler II - http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...75#post5599675
--------------------
You create your reality according to your beliefs and expectations...

Last edited by red454; 5/6/08 at 10:46 AM.
red454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/6/08, 10:45 AM   #15
Shelby GT350 Member

Steve

My 05 has the holes ...
Steeda : Sport springs, HD duty upper strut mounts, Bumpsteer, 3 point frame rail & torque box brace, billet LCA's and relocation brackets, Comp Upper 3rd Link , heavy duty engine mounts, G-trac Brace, Aluminium Drive shaft, adj pan hard bar and brace.

Koni Yellows, GT500 front LCA, FRPP 373 gears, BMR strut tower brace, MGW shifter, Exedy MACH 500 clutch, FRPP SS clutch line.
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/6/08, 10:45 AM