05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

How to get fender emblems on straight?

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/07, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get fender emblems on straight?

Just got two of those "Powered by Ford" fender emblems, but I must confess that I have a devil of a time getting fender emblems on straight. I put some on my '96 "by eye" and I was always loosening them up and tweaking them. Of course I'm talking about emblems without locating pins on back.

Have you guys come up with any foolproof ways of getting these things to look right? I just tried just putting a level on my GT emblem and I was surprised to see that it was actually just a little off level. Maybe I can put some tape or grease pencil marks showing where the GT is, and use that to line up the new emblem once I get the GT off.

Any hints would be gratefully accepted.
Old 12/21/07, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I would use a piece of masking tape. Then take several measurements to make sure the tape was right.
Old 12/21/07, 04:36 PM

Measure, Measure, Measure, Measure, Stick....
Old 12/21/07, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. I'll do my best, but measure from where to where? About the only thing that is an approximately straight line is the door jam. Maybe I can use my laser level to set up a horizontal reference line. If I can manage to keep it lined up without bumping it, I could have something to line up the new emblem.
Old 12/21/07, 07:14 PM
GT Member

depends on how you want it displayed, you want it level or with the slope of the car, measure from the line of the hood and from the fenders edge at the door, either use a level or two marks from the hood to follow the flow of the car, measure where you want it and I used a crayon to mark the front edges and the bottom, then wipe the crayon off

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
Thanks. I'll do my best, but measure from where to where? About the only thing that is an approximately straight line is the door jam. Maybe I can use my laser level to set up a horizontal reference line. If I can manage to keep it lined up without bumping it, I could have something to line up the new emblem.
Old 12/21/07, 07:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Measure from the indentation just above the rocker panel and use a piece of masking tape. Stand back and eyeball the tape and see what you think. I have had lots of different emblems on the side of my car and this method hasn't failed me yet. Good luck!
Old 12/21/07, 08:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fool proof way............don't peel the backing off of the emblem.....instead take a piece of masking tape and make a "double sided" sticky loop and place on the back of the emblem (on the backing paper)
so you can temporarily stick it on your car. This will give you several do overs until you get it exactly where you want it. Step back and look at it from several angles. Keep doing this til it's right where you want it. Then take measurements from where ever you want, for example the front of the door to the edge of the emblem, then from the back of the front wheel well to the front of the emblem and any other measurements you can think of to take. Then use these measurements to get the other side where you want it......remember use the masking tape so it's temporary. If both emblems look right take strips of masking tape and closely outline the emblems by placing the strips of tape on the fender "outlining" the emblem with the tape. Once you have done that on both sides remove the emblems and you will have a clean, bare section of fender where the emblem was. Now remove the backing on the emblem and permamently stick it on inside the tape outline you just made. Do the other side and you're done! I hope I explained this clearly. I did it with my custom running pony emblems. They were a pain to outline, but it was the only sure fire way. Good luck.
Old 12/21/07, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

First check that your car is parked on a level surface and you don't plan to change the ride height any time soon. Also check your tire pressure and make sure you aren't low on any corners.

Yard stick, Blue masking tape, bubble level. Tape the stick to your car with the blue masking tape. Make sure it is level with the bubble level.

Use the yard stick as a lower "shelf" guide to place the emblems. Pull the backing off the emblem, leave it on a 45 degree angle on the stick and then "slide" the emblem toward the car gently and press to body.

Whatever you decide, you will always be torn between actually level and with the body lines. Mine are level and I constantly think I should have gone with the body lines, but if I had, I would feel taht they aren't level.
Old 12/22/07, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great tips guys, thank you. I will give this a shot tomorrow. Luckily, the Powered by Ford emblem is rectangular, and the GT emblem is kind of rectangular as well. So, if I get some good reference marks, I think I can get the new ones on straight.

I just thought about the level of the car. I think my garage slab is slightly sloped towards the door, so when the car is in there it's really not level. In fact, I'm not sure anything on my property is level. Everything slopes to get water to drain away from the house.

I know this should be an easy thing, but little things like this drive me nuts. I appreciate the help.
Old 12/22/07, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

nm... i didnt see your post about the laser thingy