05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Drip molding removal....

Old 10/8/11, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drip molding removal....

Any secret to removing the roof drip moldings without damaging them? I am thinking about getting mine painted body color sometime this winter.
Old 10/9/11, 06:34 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I pulled mine off just to replace the adhesive holding it to the body- on both sides the sticky/tape stuff was pushing out...theres a few phillips or torx head sheetmetal screws, IIRC the rubber can be kinda folded toward the interior and popped out of the plastic exposing the screws...I did take pics in case someone ever asked, but will have to find them...
that plastics pretty flexible- and pebble grained...might need sanded, adhesion promoter, and flex additive for paint
Old 10/9/11, 07:07 PM
Legacy Supercharged Tms Member

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Subscribing. I was going to do this mod when I had my Agent 47 mirrors painted but it's one of the few mods that had no write-ups for removal of the window moulding so I didn't want to chance damaging the trim. ford4v429 I hope you can find the pics so I can finish off the mod after 2-1/2 years! lol.
Old 10/9/11, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to see some pics also.
Old 10/9/11, 07:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
hmm...found them, but lousy pics...only one showing the rubber pulled out for access to the screws...might give you a idea of how it comes off, but sorry no better pics.

the rubber just kinda pops into the plastic, it comes out easy- getting it back in is a bit of a shoehorn job, but not bad...think there was 4 screws around the top, but thinking back I dont think I pulled the one side off completely- didnt think to get pics till the second side...
I was just replacing the front weatherstrip, only required pulling the front/top loose enough to remove the old stuff. in the pic you'll see a little yellow insert- the screws go into these, plus theres a couple molded in barbed pins that snap it in place pretty easy to pull off. the front weatherstrip *I think* was double adhesive, but mine had walked down and out into a wrinkled mess. if they were double sided adhesive, might be more fun to pull off. you will need new weatherstrip to put it back together- what I wanted to use was 1/4 inch 'wing seat tape' from the model airplane suppliers- but I didnt have enough...just used that gray one sided stuff from the hardware store- cant see it, so far it hasnt moved...the wing seat tape is closed cell/black, GREAT for stuff like this, I was just to lazy to drive 45 minutes in the other car to pick some up...
Attached Thumbnails Drip molding removal....-01before.jpg   Drip molding removal....-02-separated.jpg   Drip molding removal....-03-new-weatherstrip.jpg   Drip molding removal....-04after.jpg