V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

SCT X3 V6 Auto Tuning Question. Am I dead in the water with a tuner from my old car?

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/15, 12:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Question SCT X3 V6 Auto Tuning Question. Am I dead in the water with a tuner from my old car?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. But, I couldn't find my answer in searching. I have an old (out of production) SCT X3 Tuner I got from American Muscle with a CAI for my car that is now totaled. But, I have another similar '06 V6 Auto. The mods, thus far are nearly identical to the totaled car (minus the CAI), but I'm not going to get one for this car. I am wondering if I can get a new tune for this programmer for my new to me car.

Living in Colorado, I am at a horsepower disadvantage due to high altitude. I want to get my car calibrated for higher elevation and I hope there is a way to get the dreaded 2,500 RPM (65-80 MPH highway drone lessened.

My mileage in the city is not terrible at 19.5-19.7 MPG, but I think it could be better with some reprogramming. Am I losing tons of money to have a new tune put in with out many mods other than dual exhaust and K&N drop in filter?

A friend told me that he took his GT to a local Ford dealer and had them retune it for high elevation for $100. Is this a viable possibility?

I tried contacting SCT via email without success.

Thank you guys!
Old 10/10/15, 09:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Just to be clear...when the old car was totaled, did you unmarry the tuner from that car? If you did, then it's just a matter of getting a new tune from any tuner of your choice.

I've never heard of a dealership having a different tune for high elevation, but I guess the easiest way to find out is to just call your local dealership. I'd expect them to charge an hours worth of labor for it.
Old 10/10/15, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Tuner should work if it's unmarried. If it's locked to your old car it will need to be sent in to have it cleared.

Exhaust drone is not going to be dealt with through the tune. You need to modify your exhaust.
Old 10/10/15, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know that high elevations may need something done with them to pass smog but I would think that the motor would compensate automatically based on exhaust and O2 sensors readings. It's fuel injected, not carbed. I could be completely wrong.
Old 10/10/15, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Just to be clear...when the old car was totaled, did you unmarry the tuner from that car? If you did, then it's just a matter of getting a new tune from any tuner of your choice.

I've never heard of a dealership having a different tune for high elevation, but I guess the easiest way to find out is to just call your local dealership. I'd expect them to charge an hours worth of labor for it.
When the other car was totaled, the tuner was not unmarried from the car.

Today 10:17 AM
07 Boss I know that high elevations may need something done with them to pass smog but I would think that the motor would compensate automatically based on exhaust and O2 sensors readings. It's fuel injected, not carbed. I could be completely wrong.
Today 10:01 AM
07 Boss Tuner should work if it's unmarried. If it's locked to your old car it will need to be sent in to have it cleared.

Exhaust drone is not going to be dealt with through the tune. You need to modify your exhaust.
OK, cool. Thank you! Yeah guess I hope SCT responds back to me so I can send it to them.
Old 10/10/15, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dang. Then it'll definitely have to get sent to SCT. It'll be $150 to get it unlocked. Then however much to buy a new tune.
Old 10/10/15, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dang. Then it'll definitely have to get sent to SCT. It'll be $150 to get it unlocked. Then however much to buy a new tune.
Dang, I wonder if it would be worth it.
Old 10/10/15, 07:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well you've had a tune before, so you know what it's like. Only you can really decide if it's worth the money. You sound like you're not really interested in a performance gain, but I don't think a tune will help you how you're wanting either.

It's not gonna change the exhaust, so the drone will still be there. And your mileage sounds on par with mine...18-20mpg.
Old 10/10/15, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well you've had a tune before, so you know what it's like. Only you can really decide if it's worth the money. You sound like you're not really interested in a performance gain, but I don't think a tune will help you how you're wanting either.

It's not gonna change the exhaust, so the drone will still be there. And your mileage sounds on par with mine...18-20mpg.
Ah ok, yeah I mean I had a cold air intake on my old car that I'm not sure did anything. I would love performance for my car, but it is my daily and only car and needs to be reliable.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to figure out if I want to get rid of the drone by finding another muffler setup. This setup should have been nearly identical to the one I had on my other car, but may be I'm not remembering right. I mean it is only really only annoying on long drives on the highways 75-80 MPH.
Old 10/11/15, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Ah ok, yeah I mean I had a cold air intake on my old car that I'm not sure did anything. I would love performance for my car, but it is my daily and only car and needs to be reliable.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to figure out if I want to get rid of the drone by finding another muffler setup. This setup should have been nearly identical to the one I had on my other car, but may be I'm not remembering right. I mean it is only really only annoying on long drives on the highways 75-80 MPH.
I just welded in some old school Cherry Bombs before the axle and My drone just about disappeared. Or maybe it just moved to a different RPM. Anyways, I didn't do it for the drone but it was just a side effect. Guys have had success with mid mounting resonators when staggering them.
Old 10/11/15, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I just welded in some old school Cherry Bombs before the axle and My drone just about disappeared. Or maybe it just moved to a different RPM. Anyways, I didn't do it for the drone but it was just a side effect. Guys have had success with mid mounting resonators when staggering them.
Oh yeah, I actually have staggered resonators on mine, too. But, maybe they are in different places than my old car. Hmm. I wonder if I should call the shop that did it and see if they could try a new location for them.