GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Twin Screw VS. Centrifugal Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/07, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Screw VS. Centrifugal Supercharger

Whats your pro/cons for each type of system. I like the looks of the vortech kit but I like to have more power at lower rpm. I don't like to drive a high rpms so thats why I like the whipple better, but the cost of the whipple is so much more than vortech.
Old 9/30/07, 02:53 PM
Cobra Member

twin screw - instant boost
vortech - delayed boost at lower RPM's
Old 9/30/07, 03:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check out Ken3030 dyno chart he just posted. He has a built motor so 450rwhp is about all you will get on a stock block. See that torque line go straight up. If you have a daily driver that's what you want.
Scott
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=71663
Old 9/30/07, 04:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
450rwhp is about all you will get on a stock block.
Oh that's all
Old 9/30/07, 05:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've got a Vortech and use my car as a daily driver. It works very well and puts down good power. I like how the car drives like stock under 3K. The way the power comes on is also good for traction as well. My car hooks suprisingly well on street tires.
Old 9/30/07, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
+1.... very happy with the Vortech (centrifugal).

If possible, find a shop that installs both and take their cars for a test drive.... see which one you prefer; likely this thread will go back & forth with various "this is what I have, so it's the best" opinions.
Old 9/30/07, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I usually don't shift pass 3k rpm often. So for example, with the centrifugal system, would the acceleration be slower than a twin screw, because you only get the boost after 3k rpm? In general wouldn't the centri system be slower unless they are racing, because daily driving rpm doesn't go that high. I don't plan on going to the tracks, but I want the car to be able to accelerate fast when I have the urge.
Old 9/30/07, 06:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
I usually don't shift pass 3k rpm often. So for example, with the centrifugal system, would the acceleration be slower than a twin screw, because you only get the boost after 3k rpm? In general wouldn't the centri system be slower unless they are racing, because daily driving rpm doesn't go that high. I don't plan on going to the tracks, but I want the car to be able to accelerate fast when I have the urge.
A twin screw will make more tq down low. All superchargers you need to rev out to make power.
Old 9/30/07, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

For either system its a matter of throttle depression. So with some throttle modulation you can modulate the boost. The twin screw has more to give at the lower RPMs.

Originally Posted by buffguy
Old 9/30/07, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

for what it's worth, I get a pretty much instantaneous 10psi at the drop of the hammer with my whipple. This may or may not be a good thing in a daily driver. It spins very easy in the rain, but otherwise it's been just fine around town. I have an automatic though, so this may make a difference.

If I ever have another car supercharged, I'll probably try a Centrifugal. For one, just to try it and see what it's like. And for another, I think I might actually like a bit of S/C noise at idle and part throttle driving. On the whipple, you have to be good in the throttle (or have the A/C on, haha!) for the blower whine to kick in. It whistles a little bit when cruising (which may be the equalizer/bypass valve, or whatever it is), but is completely silent at idle and low throttle driving. May or may not be what you want.

My RW HP/Torque ratio is a little lower than I would have liked (445hp, 405tq), but never the less it's a blast :-) This lower torque may be due to the automatic, I'm not quite sure. Or it may just be a trait of the smallish sized V8.
Old 9/30/07, 09:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may not need this but this article might be helpful for people that are looking for different superchargers for the S197

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3141
Old 9/30/07, 11:43 PM
Bullitt Member

The reality is, the Centri is good for a ton more hp than you may want or can realistically even be used on a built motor. Centri chargers are on alot of drag cars. For a street car, if you're looking for the most low end and wild go with the twin screw. You'll hit the boost so much earlier, and for your power goals it's probably better. To me it seems Centris are great for track cars and all out drag cars, because at those power levels it's more realistic and needed. For a street car occasionally at the track the twin screw works better.
Old 10/1/07, 01:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know if a steeda strut tower bar will clear a whipple?
Old 10/1/07, 01:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think anything will clear the whipple, the hood bearly does. Unless some company makes a tower bar made for lifted hoods. I could be wrong
Old 10/1/07, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

The Vortech kit works great. + if you want the instant "snap" down low add a set of gears then you have the best of both worlds!
Old 10/1/07, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Chilliwack 42
Anyone know if a steeda strut tower bar will clear a whipple?
They have a bar that they use with the Whipple but it will not fit under a stock hood. I can't find it on their website, but I remember seeing it in conjunction with the Q400. You may want to give them a call.
Old 10/1/07, 02:09 PM
GT Member

I love my Vortech. Low end torque is nice if you have drag radials on. Street tire apps. Centri rocks. I've ran cars with twins from the dig and while their feathering and fighting for traction, I can pull hard. By the time they get hooked up I'm in my sweet spot and they're playing catch-up.. My setup is running 12 psi, not sure why it that much, all the other Vortech HO kits I've seen run around 10. My last dyno run was 485/431 torque. Yes stock 3.60 pulley too. I need to take it it for another run since I got magnaflow's mid-pipes and magnapak system, but I'm waiting to install charge plates and a 5 gal. ice tank that fits in the spare tire well. Anyway everyone has their opinion and this is mine .
Old 10/3/07, 12:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thing to do is drive one or ride in one of each.

I've ridden in both. I bought a Saleen twin-screw.
Old 10/11/07, 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Error404

My RW HP/Torque ratio is a little lower than I would have liked (445hp, 405tq), but never the less it's a blast :-) This lower torque may be due to the automatic, I'm not quite sure. Or it may just be a trait of the smallish sized V8.
yep, it's the auto
Old 10/13/07, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Best thing to do is drive one or ride in one of each.

I've ridden in both. I bought a Saleen twin-screw.

That's a good advice, but I don't know anyone that has a SC of each type I can ride in.

Quick Reply: Twin Screw VS. Centrifugal Supercharger