Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > GT Performance Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 9/30/07, 12:53 PM   #1
Bullitt Member

Richard

07 Mustang GT
Twin Screw VS. Centrifugal Supercharger

Whats your pro/cons for each type of system. I like the looks of the vortech kit but I like to have more power at lower rpm. I don't like to drive a high rpms so thats why I like the whipple better, but the cost of the whipple is so much more than vortech.
buffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 2:53 PM   #2
Cobra Member

Paul

twin screw - instant boost
vortech - delayed boost at lower RPM's
RadBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 3:57 PM   #3
Mustang Fanatic

Scott

1993 F-150, 2005 GT Vert, 2012 Focus 5 door, 2011 Explorer
Check out Ken3030 dyno chart he just posted. He has a built motor so 450rwhp is about all you will get on a stock block. See that torque line go straight up. If you have a daily driver that's what you want.
Scott
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=71663
2005 Performance White GT Vert Parchment leather interior, side airbags, premium machined 17 inch wheels, shaker 500, IUP dash upgrade, automatic transmission. Ordered on 1/8/05 and arrived on 3/18/05

A bunch more mods than I'm allowed to post. :-) I hate limits!

Final Dyno #'s 315/311 on 2/15/08 at Brenspeeds
70MACH1OWNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 4:59 PM   #4
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

ADAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER View Post
450rwhp is about all you will get on a stock block.
Oh that's all

Currently- Lifted F-250 Twin Turbo Diesel/ New Old Edition 2006 BMW 330i

Next- 2015 Stang??
SONICBOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 5:03 PM   #5
Shelby GT500 Member

Jason

I've got a Vortech and use my car as a daily driver. It works very well and puts down good power. I like how the car drives like stock under 3K. The way the power comes on is also good for traction as well. My car hooks suprisingly well on street tires.
Old 9/30/07, 5:46 PM   #6
Juggs Wapner WannaBe
TMS Staff

See username

+1.... very happy with the Vortech (centrifugal).

If possible, find a shop that installs both and take their cars for a test drive.... see which one you prefer; likely this thread will go back & forth with various "this is what I have, so it's the best" opinions.

Upon the warp we ride......
tom281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 6:05 PM   #7
Bullitt Member

Richard

07 Mustang GT
I usually don't shift pass 3k rpm often. So for example, with the centrifugal system, would the acceleration be slower than a twin screw, because you only get the boost after 3k rpm? In general wouldn't the centri system be slower unless they are racing, because daily driving rpm doesn't go that high. I don't plan on going to the tracks, but I want the car to be able to accelerate fast when I have the urge.
Old 9/30/07, 6:12 PM   #8
Shelby GT500 Member

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
I usually don't shift pass 3k rpm often. So for example, with the centrifugal system, would the acceleration be slower than a twin screw, because you only get the boost after 3k rpm? In general wouldn't the centri system be slower unless they are racing, because daily driving rpm doesn't go that high. I don't plan on going to the tracks, but I want the car to be able to accelerate fast when I have the urge.
A twin screw will make more tq down low. All superchargers you need to rev out to make power.
Old 9/30/07, 7:22 PM   #9
Cobra Member

Paul

For either system its a matter of throttle depression. So with some throttle modulation you can modulate the boost. The twin screw has more to give at the lower RPMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
RadBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 7:50 PM   #10
Mach 1 Member

Daniel

whippled 06 GT
for what it's worth, I get a pretty much instantaneous 10psi at the drop of the hammer with my whipple. This may or may not be a good thing in a daily driver. It spins very easy in the rain, but otherwise it's been just fine around town. I have an automatic though, so this may make a difference.

If I ever have another car supercharged, I'll probably try a Centrifugal. For one, just to try it and see what it's like. And for another, I think I might actually like a bit of S/C noise at idle and part throttle driving. On the whipple, you have to be good in the throttle (or have the A/C on, haha!) for the blower whine to kick in. It whistles a little bit when cruising (which may be the equalizer/bypass valve, or whatever it is), but is completely silent at idle and low throttle driving. May or may not be what you want.

My RW HP/Torque ratio is a little lower than I would have liked (445hp, 405tq), but never the less it's a blast :-) This lower torque may be due to the automatic, I'm not quite sure. Or it may just be a trait of the smallish sized V8.
www.404photography.net - photography
www.BuckShotsBlog.com - blog
Error404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 9:01 PM   #11
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

ADAM

You may not need this but this article might be helpful for people that are looking for different superchargers for the S197

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3141

Currently- Lifted F-250 Twin Turbo Diesel/ New Old Edition 2006 BMW 330i

Next- 2015 Stang??
SONICBOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/07, 11:43 PM   #12
Bullitt Member

The reality is, the Centri is good for a ton more hp than you may want or can realistically even be used on a built motor. Centri chargers are on alot of drag cars. For a street car, if you're looking for the most low end and wild go with the twin screw. You'll hit the boost so much earlier, and for your power goals it's probably better. To me it seems Centris are great for track cars and all out drag cars, because at those power levels it's more realistic and needed. For a street car occasionally at the track the twin screw works better.
Old 10/1/07, 1:02 AM   #13
Bullitt Member

Anyone know if a steeda strut tower bar will clear a whipple?

Mods: JLT CAI, Bamachip Tunes, BBK Headers, Flowmaster 40 series, O/R X-Pipe, CMCV Delete Plate, Steeda Billet LCA's and Relocate Brackets, Steeda Pulleys, Coastline Driveshaft, 4.10 Gears, Moser Axles, Truetrac Posi, Comp Mutha Thumpr Cams, MSD Ford Launch Master, Steeda Billet Strut Brace, Steeda Rad Support, Koni Yellows, Eibach Drag Springs, Web Electronics Sequential Light SOS Gauge Pod and Switch Plate, Autometer Nexus Gauges.
Chilliwack 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/1/07, 1:08 AM   #14
Mach 1 Member

Daniel

whippled 06 GT
I don't think anything will clear the whipple, the hood bearly does. Unless some company makes a tower bar made for lifted hoods. I could be wrong
www.404photography.net - photography
www.BuckShotsBlog.com - blog
Error404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/1/07, 8:13 AM   #15
Cobra Member

The Vortech kit works great. + if you want the instant "snap" down low add a set of gears then you have the best of both worlds!
2005 GT Torch red W/Red Accent Int, IUP,Black stripes with full tint all around.5speed, Shaker 1000 w/Clarion DVD in-dash video & amp; Sirius Satellite, JBA LT's and Exhaust, Eibach Pro kit,tinted rear tail lamps,Silverstar Lighting,Steeda suspension and interior appointments.Heated Seats,18' Chrome bullitts w/Gforce tires,Vortech Supercharged,CDC spoiler & Street Scene rear diffuser, CAR SIGNED BY CARROLL SHELBY
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/1/07, 10:51 AM   #16
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliwack 42 View Post
Anyone know if a steeda strut tower bar will clear a whipple?
They have a bar that they use with the Whipple but it will not fit under a stock hood. I can't find it on their website, but I remember seeing it in conjunction with the Q400. You may want to give them a call.
wsmatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/1/07, 2:09 PM   #17
GT Member

I love my Vortech. Low end torque is nice if you have drag radials on. Street tire apps. Centri rocks. I've ran cars with twins from the dig and while their feathering and fighting for traction, I can pull hard. By the time they get hooked up I'm in my sweet spot and they're playing catch-up.. My setup is running 12 psi, not sure why it that much, all the other Vortech HO kits I've seen run around 10. My last dyno run was 485/431 torque. Yes stock 3.60 pulley too. I need to take it it for another run since I got magnaflow's mid-pipes and magnapak system, but I'm waiting to install charge plates and a 5 gal. ice tank that fits in the spare tire well. Anyway everyone has their opinion and this is mine .
2006 Mustang GT
Jizabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/3/07, 12:44 AM   #18
Cobra Member

Best thing to do is drive one or ride in one of each.

I've ridden in both. I bought a Saleen twin-screw.

06 GT... Lots of mods.
Imatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/07, 4:47 PM   #19
Cobra R Member

Rob

2008 Mustang GT/CS 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error404 View Post

My RW HP/Torque ratio is a little lower than I would have liked (445hp, 405tq), but never the less it's a blast :-) This lower torque may be due to the automatic, I'm not quite sure. Or it may just be a trait of the smallish sized V8.
yep, it's the auto

Whipple HO SC (445rwhp/435rwtq), FRPP springs, Pypes Violators, 18" DD Black Bullitts (285/40/18R, 255/45/18F) w/Nitto NT555s, BRS Pony Spinners, Limo tint, GT500 rear spoiler, Painted black LeMans stripes, Boss 429 hood scoop, GTS fog lamp covers, MRT Rear Louvers, M.A.G. Mirror Covers
Rebel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/07, 12:02 PM   #20
Bullitt Member

Richard

07 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatk View Post
Best thing to do is drive one or ride in one of each.

I've ridden in both. I bought a Saleen twin-screw.

That's a good advice, but I don't know anyone that has a SC of each type I can ride in.
Old 10/13/07, 12:02 PM