GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Starting Problems - not battery

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/07, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problems - not battery

Once every so often, when I turn the key to start my car, everything appears to be normal but the the engine does not turn over. The guages light up, the radio comes on but I don't hear the starter engage and the engine doesn't turn over. It always starts after one or two more tries. Anyone else have this gremlin?

Greg
Old 3/28/07, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a problem with the anti-theft system? Have you tried using the spare key to see if it is a problem with the PATS system? If your key is for some reason losing it's "code" it might not register with the car that the correct key is trying to start it.
Old 3/28/07, 09:12 PM

I’m with you brother! The car has been down to the dealer twice and they have no idea…big surprise . I also get an occasional stumble when the car idles and this prompts a message that says, “check charging systemâ€.

It would be nice if mechanics still existed!
Old 3/28/07, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT
Once every so often, when I turn the key to start my car, everything appears to be normal but the the engine does not turn over. The guages light up, the radio comes on but I don't hear the starter engage and the engine doesn't turn over. It always starts after one or two more tries. Anyone else have this gremlin?

Greg
Not to sound stupid, but do you have the clutch fully engaged when starting. If not, that could be the cause. If you do have it fully engaged, you may have a bad clutch switch on the floor.
Old 3/28/07, 09:20 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT

Greg
I have this on my 07. It seems like it only happens ( occasionally ) if I try and start it immediately after putting the key in. Like less than a second between key in and crank attempt.

I've found that if I put the key and arm the ignition, but wait 2-3 seconds before cranking, it never happens.
Old 3/29/07, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Every now and then, I'll go to start the car, and she tries but will not start. When I turn the key, she gives a bluh bluh stumble( sorry, no better description! ) After 2-3 attempts she roars to life. It kills me if someone is in the parking lot and hears this!
Old 3/29/07, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll try the other Key and mentally check that I have the clutch all the way in. I'm almost sure (after the age of 40 your never 100% sure about anything) it's been down to the stops. Oddly it's not happend to my wife so maybe it is the Key? I'll switch keys with her and keep it my secret .

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if this continues.

Greg
Old 3/29/07, 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen it on Mustangs, but I see it on German cars for some reason all the time. The MB's have that auto-crank feature(just touch the stop with the key and it will crank on its own until it start), and if you don't turn the key just the right way you have to take it back out and do it again(autos included), it will NOT start until you do. On manual BMW's if you turn it anywhere into the spring-loaded 'starter' area of the ignition switch without pushing the clutch, it will not turn the starter motor, no matter what you do with the clutch and key after that. You will have to take out the key completely and do it again.

On Mustangs if you turn it into the 'spring loaded' area of the ignition switch, you simply turn it again. You can even hold it all the way turned and just push in the clutch. I've driven hundreds of 05+ Mustangs and dozens of late-model BMW/MB.
Old 3/29/07, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Not to sound stupid, but do you have the clutch fully engaged when starting. If not, that could be the cause. If you do have it fully engaged, you may have a bad clutch switch on the floor.
This happens to me fairly often (more often than I'd like to admit). I've driven a manual car my whole life and never had this problem with any of my previous Mustangs. Evidently, the mixture of the hydraulic clutch and the electronic switch that starts the starter often can get "touchy." If you don't have the clutch pressed all the way in (and there have been times that 1/8" makes the difference). I'm told that a dealer can adjust the switch, but I haven't brought it in for sevice yet.
Old 3/29/07, 10:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I have not had this problem on my 05 and haven't heard of it since now, If you hear the starter and the battery isnt dead I can tell you its not the alternator, starter, or battery confidently and might be a relay
Old 3/30/07, 05:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
This happens to me fairly often (more often than I'd like to admit). I've driven a manual car my whole life and never had this problem with any of my previous Mustangs. Evidently, the mixture of the hydraulic clutch and the electronic switch that starts the starter often can get "touchy." If you don't have the clutch pressed all the way in (and there have been times that 1/8" makes the difference). I'm told that a dealer can adjust the switch, but I haven't brought it in for sevice yet.
I've never experienced this "touchiness" before and haven't ever had a problem trying to start it, except for a few times when I absolutely forget to push the clutch in. And the time that the battery was dead after 2 weeks. but that's another problem

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I have not had this problem on my 05 and haven't heard of it since now, If you hear the starter and the battery isnt dead I can tell you its not the alternator, starter, or battery confidently and might be a relay
He stated that he didn't hear the starter motor.
Old 4/4/07, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

The starter enabler switch under the dash went bad on my son's '05 last month causing the same problem you have.The dealer put a new one in under warranty. I have my switch bypassed, removed all toghther. It is not adjustable, it just twists into a sheet metal bracket which is part of the clutch pedal assy. The switch that's closer to the dash which is also on the pedal assy is the cruise control shut-off switch.
Old 4/4/07, 06:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
He stated that he didn't hear the starter motor.
my bad, I need to read things a little more clearly next time. Any way I still think its a relay or switch problem in your case. Anthony05gt sounds to be on the right track