GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Replaced The Shifter With A New MGW

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/16, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Replaced The Shifter With A New MGW

I read up on all the shifters out there. Nearly bought the Barton but went MGW finally. The unit arrived after only 7 or 8 days and I "cleared my calendar" to put this sucker in.

Not having access to a lift I made do with jack stands on my very hard garage floor. I figured my 66 year old carcass would suffer and it surely did but sometimes you just want to git 'er done without hunting for a shop you can trust to do it right the first time.

The install was straightforward but took me nearly 4 hours due to numerous trips back to the house to massage my back and review the excellent instruction video MGW provides. I also referred to Taco Bill's tutorial here at Mustang Source. The latest version of this shifter has some differences from what is shown in these install guides but the job is the same. The new minor revisions actually make it easier to do.

I set the shift throw at about 50% of stock throw length as per the MGW instructions. Test drive went fine. The feel of this unit is notchy, precise, and very mechanical. Shift effort needed is a bit higher than the stock unit but is not an issue for me.

I'm pleased with this mod and at $285 delivered I think it delivers quality results. The unit is very nicely made with beautifully machined stainless rods and perfectly shaped anodized billet parts.
Replaced The Shifter With A New MGW-20160407_120050_zpsacuspctp.jpg
Replaced The Shifter With A New MGW-20160407_120151_zps12k9gli8.jpg
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 4/9/16, 06:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Nice choice

Thanks for the pics of the newest unit.
Someday maybe I will convince myself to crawl underneath and put these in.
Kudos for dragging yourself under there for the job.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 4/9/16, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice job and wow a Taco Bill reference!
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 4/12/16, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Speaking as a young chap of only 62, I will just say "Atta-Boy!" .... 60s ain't old but I know first hand how getting up and down, twisting into awkward positions, stretching reaches, cold concrete floors .... all have a way of telling you at the end of the day that you ain't a kid no more.

Beautiful shifter too! Almost looks like art, pity to hide it under a floor.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 4/12/16, 07:57 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
You won't be disappointed. I put one in a couple of years ago and it was some of the best money spent on my car to date.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 4/13/16, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I was on the preorder list when they came out with the first model, and it's been the best shifter I've ever put in a car.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/2/16, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another 62 year old here...we can still do it! I have been considering that shifter also as it is rated the best but users. I am concerned though, in one of the instruction videos they recommended lowering the transmission. Not that is to hard to do, but lying under the car by myself I am concerned about making sure it can easily be raised back up again. Did you have to lower the trans. or was it ok with out? I expect to take 4 hours also.. need those back breaks. Thanks for the write up!
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/2/16, 06:24 PM
GT Member

Hi Jost,

I can't say for sure that lowering the tranny is necessary but I did it on my install. Raising it back into position is very simple as you merely re-tighten the two trans support bolts which are not removed, just loosened. In the MGW video the trans dropped about an inch with the bolts still partially threaded. On my car I guess the support bolts were a bit shorter as I could only lower the trans about 5/8" but it was enough to help remove the old shifter and insert the new unit from the cockpit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack Straw:
Jost (5/3/16), rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/3/16, 08:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine is the original model and I didn't have to lower it, maybe this is something that the latest model requires?
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/3/16, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I was concerned that raising the trans. back up may be difficult. As long as the bolts draw it up that should be no problem. My alternative was the Hurst Billet but the MGW does get better reviews by forum members and that is what counts the most! Appreciate your response.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/4/16, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jost
another 62 year old here...we can still do it!
I'm also 62 - at least for a few more days. I'm going to MGW's shop in a few weeks and let them install a new shifter for me! I don't have any health issues and still feel young -- I'm just not the luckiest mechanic in the world. If something can go wrong, it usually does for me.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/5/16, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Heck, if I lived within a 150 miles of MGW I likely would have had them install my shifter. I was not aware of a performance related shop in my area I trusted and with labor rates near $100 per hour I was disinclined to pay a shop to learn how to do this job so......once more into the breach.

In over 50 years of being a car nut I've done most of my work myself simply because I could not afford to have it done. Now that money is not the issue it was when I was 25 or 30 I still HATE to pay for what I can do at home. Old habits die hard I guess. My wife just shakes her head.

The most important lesson I've learned as a home mechanic is simple; KNOW WHEN TO STOP. There are a few things such as final drive set up, alignment, major tranny repairs, etc. that I won't tackle on my daily driver but if I had a lift and an enthusiastic son with muscles who didn't mind getting greasy, who knows?
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/5/16, 01:48 PM

I agree with Jack. If MGW was close to me I would not even be asking questions, would just go and have it done while sitting in the waiting room. I also do not trust someone that I don't know, and have them "learn" on my car. I can learn myself! When I was young(er) I did all of my own work on my cars. Now, daily drivers go to the dealership but the Mustang is my hobby so I do all the work on it myself.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/7/16, 12:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I also have an original MGW shifter. I think it's ten years old (nine maybe?).

LOVE the shifter, DEFINITELY worth every penny and then some.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/18/16, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ZGrand
I'm also 62 - at least for a few more days. I'm going to MGW's shop in a few weeks and let them install a new shifter for me! I don't have any health issues and still feel young -- I'm just not the luckiest mechanic in the world. If something can go wrong, it usually does for me.
Had the install of the short-throw MGW shifter done today at MGW's location. George, the owner, installed it by himself in about an hour (helps to have done it many times like he has). He let me watch so I would know how it was installed and showed me how to adjust it. Did I mention he installed it for free?? And he gave me a t-shirt.

The shifts are much more precise, and about 25% shorter than stock. I wouldn't want them any shorter. Everyone at MGW was very friendly. Great product, great company!

Last edited by ZGrand; 5/19/16 at 05:50 AM.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 5/18/16, 09:51 PM
GT Member

ZGrand,

Good deal on the shifter install. After I put mine in I didn't get a t-shirt but I did get a couple of Tanqueray and tonics.

My next project will be a cam swap in a few weeks.
rpoppertdomi (5/19/16)
Old 7/29/16, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

... etc ... My alternative was the Hurst Billet but the MGW does get better reviews by forum members and that is what counts the most! ... etc ...

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. Each has their own preferences. Some have tried both, most have not.

I for one fail to see how the Hurst Billet is inferior, it is after all just a robust lever through a ball socket pivot ..... and the stops are internal in the transmission. Customer had one of the MGWs, I played with it some while reading his OBDII code .....nice feel .... but I didn't see that it's any better.

Besides, the Hurst is so easy to make lever extensions to change the angle or length or both to put the ball where I want it and see nothing but chrome stick and shift ball above the boot. Mine's ball is near 2" higher than it was oem, good throw length, and NO elbow into console. Their might be ways of doing it that look more trick or high tech .... but in the end, they all do the same thing.

The only difference I can see is the Hurst is attached to the transmission and moves with the trans & engine as they react to torque while being allowed to pivot at the body mount ....
.... while the MGW is also a simple ball pivoted lever like the Hurst .... but it attaches to the body with two rear points and is allowed to stay with the body as the trans rocks with the engine.

None of that is to say one is better than the other .... .... just pick your poison.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/29/16 at 09:48 AM.
Jost (8/1/16)
Old 8/1/16, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your opinion. Seems to make the most sense. I still have not done anything, not because I am indecisive but busy with other things. I am now leaning toward the Hurst Billet, because of what you said , but other reviews and online postings. Also, and not the least important to me, I like the look of the hurst chrome stick.
Old 8/1/16, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

You might look here then .......... https://themustangsource.com/forums/...thread-523689/
Jost (8/1/16)
Old 8/1/16, 02:52 PM

Thanks, good write up! I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Replaced The Shifter With A New MGW