GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/12, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit

I just found that FRPP released a version of their Boss 302 side exit exhaust setup for the 4.6L 3V. FRPP part# M-5220-3VMB. IT is a little expensive at $715, but includes a new X-pipe and the side cutouts.

There is a guy over on svtperformance.com that has adapted the Boss side exhaust kit onto a GT500 setup and has detailed what he did. I think it would be possible to fab up this FRPP 3V kit to any setup with some cutting and welding.

I have a Kooks LT with H-pipe setup and I think this would work on mine. I have some Ford callout numbers for the side pieces and I am checking with my local Ford dealership parts guy to see if he can get a price on them. I think this setup would be nice with a set of QTP electronic cutouts. I would like to have a moderately quiet exhaust when I leave home, but be able to wake it up when needed.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...-5220-3vmb.htm

What do you think?
Old 5/22/12, 07:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like it would be cool. But I'd have to buy another Mustang.
Cause I'm not changin' the exhaust on Bullitt one iota!
Old 5/23/12, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not worth that. you are only paying for the name. for that price you could get some electric cutouts and another x-pipe!
Old 5/23/12, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ahhh yes glad it's finally out!!

Ahhh no not for that price... Freaking ford racing. Always so expensive
Old 5/23/12, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just got the part number for the two side exit pieces

Left - CR3Z-5255-B $247.61
Right - CR3Z-5254-B - $240.32

Spacer - CR3Z-5H294-A Qty 2 - $7.07ea
Gasket - CR3Z-5C226-A Qty 2 - $10.57ea
Gasket - CR3Z-5B266-B Qty 4 - $5.81ea

All you need to do now if fab up some connector pieces to weld to your pipe and away you go.

I am really thinking about doing this. I will play with some different gaskets to see what size is the best to get the right sound.
Old 5/23/12, 05:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SeanD
I just got the part number for the two side exit pieces

Left - CR3Z-5255-B $247.61
Right - CR3Z-5254-B - $240.32

Spacer - CR3Z-5H294-A Qty 2 - $7.07ea
Gasket - CR3Z-5C226-A Qty 2 - $10.57ea
Gasket - CR3Z-5B266-B Qty 4 - $5.81ea

All you need to do now if fab up some connector pieces to weld to your pipe and away you go.

I am really thinking about doing this. I will play with some different gaskets to see what size is the best to get the right sound.
Nice man!! Valuable information right there
Old 5/24/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

More weight. Waste of money IMO.
Old 5/24/12, 04:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
23 whole lbs...wow...
Old 5/24/12, 04:20 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Boomer
23 whole lbs...wow...

for your V8 audio pleasure!
Old 5/24/12, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, you must be a "car show" guy.

That's totally pointless weight to add to a car.
Old 5/24/12, 04:50 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Anthony k

Why? Because some of us love to hear our V8's a little louder than stock? I've often thought about electric cut-outs - cause I won't change my Bullitt exhaust tone - but would like to hear a little louder V8 rumble sometimes.

Don't trip over that upturned nose bud.
Old 5/24/12, 04:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
WTF is a "car show guy"?

I like car shows.
Old 5/24/12, 07:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony k

Right...like adding wheels or stereo or any other mod to the car makes any less of a car guy...surrrreeee
Old 5/24/12, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Adding weight is only important if you are racing your car and want a better 1/4 mile. I don't really care about that. I like the sound and want to play with it.

My car, my decision!
Old 5/25/12, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just found that FRPP released a version of their Boss 302 side exit exhaust setup for the 4.6L 3V. FRPP part# M-5220-3VMB. IT is a little expensive at $715, but includes a new X-pipe and the side cutouts.

There is a guy over on svtperformance.com that has adapted the Boss side exhaust kit onto a GT500 setup and has detailed what he did. I think it would be possible to fab up this FRPP 3V kit to any setup with some cutting and welding.

What do you think?
I'm the guy. Let me preface with this - the side pipes are extremely lightweight. Adding weight is a non-issue. The sound...absolutely makes it all worthwhile. The aural improvement is real. Not simply because of a blaring pipe beneath your ear or from a simple increase in sheer exhaust noise. No, the improvement comes from the quality and tone change in concert with better acoustics. Something akin to mono vs stereo. Step out of your car and drive a Boss for a day and you'll know exactly what I mean.

I adapted the Boss quads to my '09 GT500 and recently modified an FRPP kit to bolt onto a '11 (or '12/'13) GT500 for a disabled vet. He's very satisfied with the mod to say the least.

Last night I noticed the 3V kit and immediately the wheels started turning. This kit should make adapting the pipes to a '10 and earlier V8 S197 chassis much easier. The '10 and earlier chassis do not have the requisite in-chassis fastener to allow a bolt-on connection at the quad tip exit. This latest kit must include a unique fastener (not sure if drilling will be required or not) that takes care of that issue. And as the OP lamented, this latest kit should be easily adaptable at the front end of the x-pipe as well. I'll probably do something for someone to make this kit work as well.

As for the electric cutouts...nice hardware (I have them) but completely unnecessary. I run the quads on mine with no attenuation plate at all and it isn't obtrusive at all. They simply aren't necessary.

What is interesting is that FRPP is following what some have done in cutting/clamping in a welded assembly that allows the Boss pipes to be added. Looks like the tail has finally wagged the dog, if only a little.

If you're interested, here's everything regarding a few different systems.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...pes-gt500.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...omparison.html
Old 5/25/12, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tob*

I'm the guy. Let me preface with this - the side pipes are extremely lightweight. Adding weight is a non-issue. The sound...absolutely makes it all worthwhile. The aural improvement is real. Not simply because of a blaring pipe beneath your ear or from a simple increase in sheer exhaust noise. No, the improvement comes from the quality and tone change in concert with better acoustics. Something akin to mono vs stereo. Step out of your car and drive a Boss for a day and you'll know exactly what I mean.

I adapted the Boss quads to my '09 GT500 and recently modified an FRPP kit to bolt onto a '11 (or '12/'13) GT500 for a disabled vet. He's very satisfied with the mod to say the least.

Last night I noticed the 3V kit and immediately the wheels started turning. This kit should make adapting the pipes to a '10 and earlier V8 S197 chassis much easier. The '10 and earlier chassis do not have the requisite in-chassis fastener to allow a bolt-on connection at the quad tip exit. This latest kit must include a unique fastener (not sure if drilling will be required or not) that takes care of that issue. And as the OP lamented, this latest kit should be easily adaptable at the front end of the x-pipe as well. I'll probably do something for someone to make this kit work as well.

As for the electric cutouts...nice hardware (I have them) but completely unnecessary. I run the quads on mine with no attenuation plate at all and it isn't obtrusive at all. They simply aren't necessary.

What is interesting is that FRPP is following what some have done in cutting/clamping in a welded assembly that allows the Boss pipes to be added. Looks like the tail has finally wagged the dog, if only a little.

If you're interested, here's everything regarding a few different systems.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...pes-gt500.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...omparison.html
I'm guessing you can answer this... The guys with 5.0's have said its not really louder except for when they get on it. Is it the same for this kit? And also would they work on a convertible?
Old 5/25/12, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang
I'm guessing you can answer this... The guys with 5.0's have said its not really louder except for when they get on it. Is it the same for this kit? And also would they work on a convertible?
As FRPP states "Can be used on the convertible with a spacer and longer bolt to attach the side pipe under the convertible brace". If you read through the first link I provided you'd see that the pipe I did for Brad was for a ragtop. He lists the fastener(s) length he needed in order to make it work.

There is a burble present at each side of the car that never existed before the quads were added. A light, old-school, burble. Upon acceleration, yup, it becomes a growl that has most any pony car fan grinning from ear to ear.
Old 5/25/12, 05:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

I have a Kooks LT with H-pipe setup and I think this would work on mine. I have some Ford callout numbers for the side pieces and I am checking with my local Ford dealership parts guy to see if he can get a price on them. I think this setup would be nice with a set of QTP electronic cutouts. I would like to have a moderately quiet exhaust when I leave home, but be able to wake it up when needed.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...-5220-3vmb.htm

What do you think?
Just a few pictures ,,,,Name:  07-2012-boss-302-underside-100x100.jpg
Views: 5825
Size:  5.9 KB

FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit-07-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit-08-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit-04-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

Name:  $(KGrHqZ,!i4E9d(tQ8QOBPgKIhq0Hw~~60_3.jpg
Views: 6722
Size:  113.8 KB,,,.
Old 5/26/12, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think those are still pictures of the Boss setup. The new 3VMB kit supposedly has an X-pipe and not a H-pipe. I haven't seen any pictures yet of the 3VMB kit. I was told by my local dealership, that the kit is not available until June
Originally Posted by ricksGT/CS
Old 5/26/12, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Sean, the only photo of the FRPP 'X' section is the one from the part link itself.

M-5220-MBA.jpg?t=1337981454

In the above view you are looking at the bottom side of the x/quad stub section but the tops of the side pipes. And you're correct, the images linked in the post before yours are from the Boss. The last photo in that same post is a preproduction shot. Note the elongated flex joint as well as there being no spacer plate between the quad to 'H' section flanges.

Quick Reply: FRPP 4.6L 3V BOSS 302 Side Exit Exhaust Kit