GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmaster 40 series or delta flow 40 series?

Old 12/17/04, 09:53 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the mustang exhaust is as loud as a flowmaster delta flow 40 series? One more question is there a noticeable difference between the 40 series and the delta flow 40 series?
Old 12/17/04, 09:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

All I've heard on Flows being used on the '05's is they sound terrible and cause a drop in hp.....I'd pick a different brand unless you are just dead set on Flowmaster product.....
Old 12/17/04, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah i completely agree with John that so far the flowmasters sound horrible on the new gt. However the 40 series are definitely louder than any stock mufflers. I just replaced the stock muffler on my v6 and noticed a big sound difference. The original 40 series are the loudest but there isnt much of a difference between the others. The others have less drone and also make more power however. Also flowmaster is going to be designing a new american thunder kit for the new gt to get the signature flowmaster sound.
Old 12/17/04, 10:04 PM
GT Member

what about borla? I'm not a fan of magnaflow. is there any others out there that sound good?
Old 12/17/04, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I would recommend BASSANI all the way. The sound is unmatched, and their systems usually make great power. If you want sound as well as power I would suggest getting an off road x-pipe which should be released soon as well as the bassani axle-back system. A few member on here have it so far and absolutely love it. I'm not sure why but I'm not a big fan of Magnaflow either, however I have to admit they make good power as well.
Old 12/18/04, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

If Bassani or Borla are too expensive, JBA makes a real nice axle back kit.
Old 12/18/04, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys-

You can't just say "the 40's sound bad" because:

(a) Flowmaster hasn't recommended a model # for the new mustang

because

(B) They tried their off-the-shelf Delta40's and Super40's and didn't get the sound they wanted.

I've seen a video of a bad sounding (in my opinion) Delta40 setup, and there were NO H.P. figures for that one.

I had a set of Super40's (of a particular part number) on my 05, put there by Flowmaster themselves, as my car was the first R&D vehicle for them. I kept them as "payment" for the 4 days of R&D, but they are NOT the kit they will be selling. They cost an additional 2 h.p. or so over the stock, but they sound very nice.

I am really torn, I love their sound, but my brain tells me to keep them off the car. After I find my final tune that I am happy with on my car (via SCT XCalibrator), I'll probably try a A/B dyno run on the flowmasters one more time.

Again, don't throw a bunch of "i heards" together. Flowmaster doesn't have anything out for this car. You won't get a good sound or good HP until they put out a new muffler specific to this application.
Old 12/19/04, 04:34 AM
Cobra Member

The sounds was good, but the drone was horrible with the 40's. It did have some torque/hp loss - but it was low. Now, the Magnapacks do not have the same drone, nore as loud - and sound great. The Magnapacks are nice - btu quiter than stock. I have also heard the Basanni's form Johns' and they are great as well. I have not heard the JBA's yet.
Old 12/19/04, 03:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2005RedGT@December 19, 2004, 5:37 AM
The sounds was good, but the drone was horrible with the 40's. It did have some torque/hp loss - but it was low. Now, the Magnapacks do not have the same drone, nore as loud - and sound great. The Magnapacks are nice - btu quiter than stock. I have also heard the Basanni's form Johns' and they are great as well. I have not heard the JBA's yet.
That is odd because my magnapaks are far from being quieter than the stock mufflers.
Old 12/20/04, 06:12 AM
V6 Member

I have flowmaster 40s on my new mustang and it sounds absolutely awesome. Granted I do understang Flowmasters problem with the droning sound when cruising at about 2000 RPM's but I love the sound. My car is really loud. I have had numerous people compliment me on the way my car sounds. As for the HP loss who cares its only a couple HP I feel slightly better acceleration now that the 40s are broken in. This is just my 2 cents to each there own.
Old 12/20/04, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Their super40's don't drone excessively, are significantly louder than stock, and according to Flowmaster, flow better than the Delta40's.

I can't wait until Flowmaster "masters" this car and has a solution that actually improves horsepower.
Old 12/22/04, 10:55 PM
V6 Member

As M1rifle said that his was the first car for flowmaster to put there mufflers on at there r&d department. He lost a bit of horsepower but the sound is great. I just got my 5 speed GT back today. The sound is absoulutley awesome. great start up sound. idle is deep and throttly. No drowing. above 2000 rpm you really can't hear the exhaust which is a big plus for me. full accleration from 2000 to 5500 lets out a serious note behind the car but inside it is quiet which i love. power I am not sure they dynoed the car and came up with "good improvements" but he will fax me the sheets before and after after the first of the year.
As a side note these mufflers are brand new design specificley for the 05 mustang using flowmaster's patents as Joe from the R&D department stated.
I really can't express how these new mufflers sound, maybe as "Tony the Tiger" from the cereal box commercials would say "ThERE GREAT".
Anybody know off a way i can record the sound. I don't have a laptop or a digital camcorder. Only a handheld recorder for office meetings. I have a regular 8mm record. Is there any way of transfering that to the computer?
Old 1/6/05, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

which flowmasters did you get put on 40's super 40's.
Old 1/6/05, 01:46 PM
GT Member

I CAN'T BELIEVE NONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE EVER USED 1 CHAMBER FLOWMASTERS. Thats all I have ever put on my last 3 Mustangs and a few cars before that. The sound is uncompairable to anything else on the market. Thay are noted for "Off Road Use only", but they aren't that drastic and and inspector wouldn't notice a difference, only that they are about half the size of regular 2 chamber flows. Now days, alot of other aftermarket muffs are tiny too so it doesn't make a difference.
Old 1/6/05, 07:32 PM
V6 Member

my buddy just came over with his 1999 cobra that has borla exhaust on it. We set both car up side by side. I have flowmaster's new kit that they designed after they tested off the self mufflers on M1rifle's car. Anyway my buddies car also has a bassini x pipe. Started both car many times and revved both. His car is a little deeper and louder at full rev 5 to 6k. Both have that nice deep rumble and nice tuned sound not all raspy like the 60's. I like mine better because they have no drown and no interior noise because they are so far rear. The cobra's is just a notched louder. all in all Flowmaster's new exhause designed for the 05' sounds great and at half the price of borla's you can't go wrong. I'ml still waiting for the before and after dyno runs from flowmaster. All flowmaster said was they were happy with the gains and the sound was what they were after.
Old 1/7/05, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

so are these new flowmasters for the 05 mustang on sale now to the public? where can you get them
Old 1/7/05, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by -FROG-@January 6, 2005, 2:49 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE NONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE EVER USED 1 CHAMBER FLOWMASTERS. Thats all I have ever put on my last 3 Mustangs and a few cars before that. The sound is uncompairable to anything else on the market. Thay are noted for "Off Road Use only", but they aren't that drastic and and inspector wouldn't notice a difference, only that they are about half the size of regular 2 chamber flows. Now days, alot of other aftermarket muffs are tiny too so it doesn't make a difference.
How is the drone?
Old 1/7/05, 10:08 AM
GT Member

^ probably pretty friggin loud on an 05' but I don't know.... I'm gonna put my 1 chambers on my drag car and keep my 05' stock for now. On my other stangs, it was not too loud at highway cruising. But this was on cars I never traveled out of town in, just local highway. I thought the guy was wanting a LOUD muff, so that would be my first choise for volume.
Old 1/7/05, 10:15 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by pmcarlino@January 6, 2005, 8:35 PM
I have flowmaster's new kit ...... I like mine better because they have no drown and no interior noise because they are so far rear. ....
How is that possible? Even the stock exhaust has a little drone noise that can be heard and the exhaust you got it louder than stock.
Old 1/7/05, 10:22 AM
GT Member

I was thinking you guys ment "constant resonating soundwaves" (like at highway speeds) in the cabin by the term drone..... The annoying sound that drives you crazy on long trips. Guess I was wrong. lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 series or delta flow 40 series?