Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > GT Performance Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12/27/07, 10:00 PM   #1
Shelby GT350 Member

Exhaust rattling???!!!???!!!

ok guys, when the weather started getting cold i started getting a little rattling under the car...

the colder it is the worse it its... when i first start the car its decently loud, then when i come back out when the engine is warm the rattle is gone...

i did not hear it in the summer.... and it does it when the weather is cold and the engine is cold, both at idle and while driving.. but once the engine warms up it goes away...

it sounds like the normal sheet metal/tin rattle... much like that of a heat shield under the car... it sounds like its right under the floor boards where your feet sit...

what i am thinking is that its the heat shields on the cats??? do we have them? are the secured in a way that they would rattle?

i think when the exhaust warms and expands they dont rattle any more...

does anyone have this issue? how can i fix it? can i take the heat shields off? can i secure them better so they dont rattle?

thanks in advance guys!
1965 Fastback 2+2, white with blue stripes, cragar keystone classics, white on black pony interior, 289 with classic Tri Y headers, flowmaster 40's, flamethrower coil, pointless ignition, holly 600cfm carb

SOLD---2005 GT Coupe, Torch red, Hurst shifter, CDC shaker scoop, CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler, Shortie Antenna, JLT II CAI with SCT Xcal and Brenspeed tunes, BBK Longtubes, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes Mid Mufflers, Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque, shaker 1000 audio, dark charcoal interior w leather, engine start button.
n8rfastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/07, 10:21 PM   #2
Mach 1 Member

06 GT
06-4-1
RATTLE/NOISE FROM THE CENTER STACK (RADIO/HEATER) OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL OR GEARSHIFT AREA

TSB was posted some time ago about a bolt or something to do with exhaust behind the center stack. Ask your Ford dealer to check as it may just be a missing bolt.
shaun_beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/07, 10:42 PM   #3
Shelby GT350 Member

well the noise is definately coming from outside the car....

what is the center stack??? you mean the middle of the dash/center console???
1965 Fastback 2+2, white with blue stripes, cragar keystone classics, white on black pony interior, 289 with classic Tri Y headers, flowmaster 40's, flamethrower coil, pointless ignition, holly 600cfm carb

SOLD---2005 GT Coupe, Torch red, Hurst shifter, CDC shaker scoop, CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler, Shortie Antenna, JLT II CAI with SCT Xcal and Brenspeed tunes, BBK Longtubes, BBK Catted X Pipe, Pypes Mid Mufflers, Carroll Shelby signed dash plaque, shaker 1000 audio, dark charcoal interior w leather, engine start button.
Old 12/28/07, 1:31 AM   #4
Mach 1 Member

Lee

2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
My Magnaflow x-pipe makes a terrible rattling noise when its cold at a certain RPM. However, when the engine warms up, the noise is gone. Also, when I start the car when its still warm, the noise isn't there.

I just thought I would rant.

Steeda/Borla/Magnaflow/SCT/BMR/Spohn

GO BUCKS

Bring back the SVO!
Pwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/07, 10:39 AM   #5
GT Member

When I installed my Pypes o/r H-pipe I would sometimes get a rattle when I would floor it. That was only for a bit, now It dosen't happen anymore.
-Pypes O/R H-pipe

H13 6000k or 8000k HID bulbs for sale. $60
Agleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/07, 7:49 PM   #6
Shelby GT350 Member

so no one knows where the rattle could be coming from?

im all stock exhaust

Old 12/29/07, 8:11 PM   #7
Mach 1 Member

06 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rfastback View Post
well the noise is definately coming from outside the car....

what is the center stack??? you mean the middle of the dash/center console???

YES, the exhaust comes from the manifold and down under the car parallel to the drive shaft. The support for the exhaust mounts to the car such that a rattle is heard "as if" it were behind the center stack (dash / radio / shifter area). It is outside the car, but the sound is transmitted through the car in this area.

It was very common and if your exhaust is "stock" then taking it to Ford for a look will not affect you negatively. Just call out the previously mentioned TSB and see if they are willing to put it up on a rack and move the exhaust around by hand to investigate.
shaun_beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/07, 11:56 AM   #8
Bullitt Member

not sure what

not sure what to do but yep mine does it too.....oh but is bassani...sorry couldn't help.
91svtcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/07, 12:02 PM   #9
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwny View Post
My Magnaflow x-pipe makes a terrible rattling noise when its cold at a certain RPM. However, when the engine warms up, the noise is gone. Also, when I start the car when its still warm, the noise isn't there.

I just thought I would rant.

did you put it on yourself? might want to go adjust everything again on it and retighten the clamp (or use a different one)
- Bassani Catted X-Pipe, FRPP Stingers
SonicBlue2005GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/07, 4:40 PM   #10
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Check all the clamps and bolts to see if any are loose. I had one of my borla clamps come loose on the S-type due to the vibration.
Fanblades w/ BFG 255 KDW (NT) Tires
Borla S-Type (Stinger) Axle Back
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/07, 6:20 PM   #11
Shelby GT350 Member

so my stock exhaust may be a little loose???

Old 12/30/07, 6:20 PM