GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

"Check Charging System"

Old 7/20/10, 01:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Check Charging System"

I have gotten this message a few times and it's intermittent.

I've checked the plug on the back of the alternator, I've checked the battery terminals and made sure it's connected via that hotwire to the alternator. Alternator is good on the test bench at the alternator repair shop.

What could cause this?

I was thinking corrosion on the negative terminal perhaps? or .... heck your guess is probably better than mine at this point.

The battery while the message is on, is not getting 14v but does when the message is not on.

It was fine for the last several days after I swapped the fuel pump out but it came on tongiht.

I'm assuming that it's not charging but at the same time the alternator is still supplying the car with power and that it's just not charging the battery during that time?

I plan on hooking up my laptop to run a data log on the charging system and associated engine related stuff (electrical) but ...

Can a charge wire go bad? Is there a fuse I could check?

any ideas?

thanks
jake

Last edited by 06GTwJUICE; 7/20/10 at 01:13 AM.
Old 7/20/10, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
How long has it been doing that? I had a similar issue and it was caused by the alternator starting to go bad, but it was still charging enough to keep the car running in most situations.
Old 7/20/10, 08:43 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
How long has it been doing that? I had a similar issue and it was caused by the alternator starting to go bad, but it was still charging enough to keep the car running in most situations.
Me too. Ultimately, a couple of months ago, I wound up having to replace the alternator and battery.
Old 7/20/10, 11:40 PM
GT Member

This just happened to me a few months ago. It's your alternator, and it's about to go. If your car is still under warranty, take it in for service ASAP. With any luck, you'll find a good dealer like I did who will replace the alternator and the battery (and do it with a smile).
Old 7/21/10, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Everyone already got it. Your alternator is dying.
Old 8/16/10, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

It died on me on the freeway a day or two after posting this question. The charge terminal on the alternator was melted.

I replaced it and everything is working fine. The gel (red-top) battery was drained all the way but tested and charged fine.

Light came on solid on the freeway in heavy traffic so I got over and went as far as the battery would take me. It fortunately got me to an off ramp and with my gf following me to our old apartment, she was there for the tow back home.