Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > GT Performance Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12/27/06, 11:45 AM   #1

Changing Coolant

Does anyone have a shop manual or instructions on how to change the coolant in the 4.6 3V motor? I have had my 2005 for two years and would like to change the coolant.

Any help is appreciated!
Dan
RedZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/06, 12:59 PM   #2
GTR Member

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZR1 View Post
Does anyone have a shop manual or instructions on how to change the coolant in the 4.6 3V motor? I have had my 2005 for two years and would like to change the coolant.

Any help is appreciated!
Dan
It's a 5-6 year fill. Don't change it until you reach 6 years and then change it every 3 years thereafter (read the scheduled maintenance guide). It should be using the Ford gold/yellow anti-freeze, which is the same as the G-05 formula.

I crawled around the Stang and saw the standard plastic petcock on the lower right hand side of the radiator (passenger side). Look for a large plastic nut with a spigot fitting on the bottom (drains out anti-freeze here). This is about all you need to drain 65%-75% of the coolant. Getting rid of the rest requires removing the special freeze plugs on the block.
'07 GT manual: GT500 rear bumper, GT500 strut tower brace, A-Arm brace, Webelectric sequentials, Hellwig 1" adj. rear sway bar, Steeda Cold Air Intake, HD Bilsteins (rear), FR500S axle-backs, Steeda CMCV Deletes, Steeda Billet LCA, Brake dust shield deletes, SCT PRP 93-octane
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/06, 2:09 PM   #3
Shelby GT350 Member

Ira

Send a message via AIM to RedDragon777
to get rid of atleast 90% you have to drain it, put new coolant, run the motor for a bit then drain again then add new coolant all the way and it will have replace atleast 90% of the original coolant with new

Tuned by Chris Rose.
RedDragon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/06, 1:08 AM   #4
Cobra R Member

well actually to do it right, when you want to do the antifreeze flush, at that time its probably a good idea to change the thermostat as well. You can pretty much get 99.9% of it out if you change that, while thermostat is out, you can flush straight thru block heads etc. Just make sure to more than 50/50 back in , as there will be clean, clear water already in the block, so make it more like 60/40 or 65/35, in other words more straight antifreeze to mix with the water already in the block. So if you are going to wait 6 years, which too me is too long, then you should probably change both at the same time. I myself wont wait more than maybe 3 years. condensation etc gets in there, and next thing you know your going to have rust etc unless you flush a little more than 6 years, just my thoughts. Good luck
06 GT Auto Redfire,Redfire Engine Cover,ICAP,IUP,Active Alarm,Shaker 500,Sirius Sat,18"Pol. Bullits,Ford Racing Frt&Rear Sway Bars,3.73 Gears,Sh. Pads,8.8 Rear End Girdle,Chrome Lic. Plates,Borla axlebacks w/4" tips,SHR Pol. GT Fuel Door,GT Rear Medallion,Chromed GT Cup Bezel,GT Auto Shifter Bezel,GT E-Brake Handle,SHR Redfire 1/4 window louvers,Roush front fascia w/fogs and chin spoiler,STOPTECH Cross-Drilled Rotors Frt&Rear,C&L Racer CAI,SCT X2 Bamachips 93 dyno'd custom Race Tune,BMR Strut Tower Brace,DCF Billet Upper and Lower Grill Inserts,Viper Remote Start,8" Ant,Web Electric Sequentials,Ultimate Pedals with pony logos,Painted 10" ss stripes,Mustang&GT Script,Grand Design Custom ICAP Trunk Lid Mat w/ss pony,MWAG redfire Rad. Ext. MGW Chromed radio *****,a/c, andGT power plug *****, coat hooks,door lock *****.
sodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/06, 3:56 AM   #5
GTR Member

C

I agree but the new yellow anti-freeze is good for 5-6 years / 150k miles. Ford claims to change it every 3 years after the first 5-6 years is up. There was a Ford cooling engineer on Modular depot that chided me for changing out the yellow fill in the 03 E-250 only after 2-3 years
'07 GT manual: GT500 rear bumper, GT500 strut tower brace, A-Arm brace, Webelectric sequentials, Hellwig 1" adj. rear sway bar, Steeda Cold Air Intake, HD Bilsteins (rear), FR500S axle-backs, Steeda CMCV Deletes, Steeda Billet LCA, Brake dust shield deletes, SCT PRP 93-octane
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/30/08, 8:53 AM   #6
Team Mustang Source

I need to drain and fill my coolant, right down to the block in my 4.6 because I'm installing a block heater in the frost plug hole.

Are there any special instructions for filling? Looking at the design of the system it should fill from the bottom up, I'll just fill as much as I can with the engine off, then fire up the car and add as required to the reservoir.
eighty6gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/1/08, 4:41 AM   #7
Bullitt Member

Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty6gt View Post
I need to drain and fill my coolant, right down to the block in my 4.6 because I'm installing a block heater in the frost plug hole.

Are there any special instructions for filling? Looking at the design of the system it should fill from the bottom up, I'll just fill as much as I can with the engine off, then fire up the car and add as required to the reservoir.

Got details on the engine block heater? I want to do this to my stang but I am afraid of what the stealership will charge. Got a guide or a howto? Id like to do this myself.

Thanks.
jaguarking11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/08, 9:07 PM   #8
Team Mustang Source

My dealership did it for free, but buggered up the job. Left half the coolant out of the engine and the car overheated.

The element should point to 9 o clock when installed. Mine's at 6 or 12.

Drain the coolant out of the rad, then pull the block drain. The frost plug is on the left rear of the engine, as is the drain.

Hit the frost plug on one side (3 or 6) with a punch and hammer. It should turn enough that you can grab it with pliers and pull it out.

Clean up the hole with some fine emery if required. Lubricate the O-ring on the frost plug heater with some petroleum jelly (it's what I would have used, anyway)

Install the frost plug heater, tighten bolt to ??? You should feel when the toggle lock is tight on the inside of the block.

Open rad cap, install coolant until catch tank is between marks. Start engine, allow to warm to operating temp, adding coolant as required, squeeze upper rad hose periodically to help bleed air from system... it seems to fill pretty well, I did mine on the side of the road w/the ford tech watching.

Good luck!
eighty6gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/08, 9:22 PM   #9
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaman View Post
I myself wont wait more than maybe 3 years. condensation etc gets in there, and next thing you know your going to have rust etc unless you flush a little more than 6 years, just my thoughts. Good luck
I can't say I disagree with you being uncomfortable with waiting 6 years, BUT am NOT worried about rust! Aluminum heads. Aluminum block. Plastic intake... Not much in there that can rust!

Model: GT Premium, Torch Red, ICAP 68R, IUP 18G, manual, active anti-theft system, Stock rims
Performance Mods: Eibach springs, Flow Master, MGW shifter, LC-1 Wideband, Webelectronics sequencers, D-Spec dampers
Other Mods: 20% tint, JL Audio front subs, Polk Audio MMC6500 speakers, Dynomating for squeak damping
TSBs: Fuel tank fill, upper strut bearings, fuel sender
First dent: backed into in a parking lot (while parked) Sept 4th 2005

RRRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/08, 9:22 PM