Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT?? CAI suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/15, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT?? CAI suggestions?

Hey all,

So I'm ready to get rid of my stock exhaust, and upgrade to a new axle-back system. I'm thinking of getting the Roush dual-chamber exhaust w/ lower valance, or the Flowmaster Outlaw. The only downside to getting the roush Dual Chamber, is that installing the lower valance on the bumper is going to be a lot of work though definitely achievable. Whereas, if I get the standard Roush axle-back with 4" tips, or the flowmaster outlaw, I won't have to modify the bumper. Are the Roush Dual Chamber exhaust systems worth all the work?

I will also be installing the K&N 63 series aircharger CAI when I get the exhaust. I want to get a little more RWHP without having to re-tune the stang (although I know I will have to down the road). Eventually I'm thinking of getting a borla x-pipe, but will need to have the professionally installed/welded, and maybe a larger throttle body.

Any suggestions on exhaust, and/or other performance mods I can do without voiding the warranty? I'm pretty sold on the K&N aircharger, but has anyone had experience with the Roush CAI?

Thanks everyone! This is my first mustang, so I want to do things right!
Old 6/28/15, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too thought about getting the Roush dual chambered exhaust. As far as the sound difference between the dual chamber and regular, it is pretty minimal. Although it may have some effect, it's mainly for looks. I ended up going with a normal Roush with 4" tips and it always puts a smile on my face. As for the valence install, all of Roush's parts have detailed instructions and like you said is very doable. I think eventually I'll end up getting quad tips though.
Old 6/28/15, 06:30 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
If the Roush lower valence uses the same pattern as the GT500 valence, the job is not as hard as it looks. You just have to get past the idea of cutting a perfectly good bumper cover.
Old 6/29/15, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Thatstangguy,

What part of Michigan are you from? We have a lot of Steeda support downriver ... including Gorno Ford, just curious where you are?

If you are looking to tune down the road but are looking for a non-tune CAI right now ... can I suggest the Steeda unit with the restrictor?

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...ired-555-3190/

You get the best of both worlds!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/29/15, 08:19 PM

Thanks TJ,

The steeda CAI looks great! I would rather just get the one that requires tuning. I'm from Wixom, MI. Downriver is about an hour drive. If I purchased the Steeda CAI, is that something I could get installed/tuned out that way? I guess the plus side to getting the one with the restrictor, is I could do the install myself, and then drive it to a shop to get it tuned. That way I avoid paying to have the CAI installed
Old 6/29/15, 08:32 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

The Steeda CAI and canned tune worked great in my car. Installing the tune was very easy.
Old 6/30/15, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks TJ,

The steeda CAI looks great! I would rather just get the one that requires tuning. I'm from Wixom, MI. Downriver is about an hour drive. If I purchased the Steeda CAI, is that something I could get installed/tuned out that way? I guess the plus side to getting the one with the restrictor, is I could do the install myself, and then drive it to a shop to get it tuned. That way I avoid paying to have the CAI installed
PM Sent.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/8/15, 06:40 PM

Thanks everyone. So I ended up ordering the Corsa Sport axle back exhaust, and the gt500 rear valance. I hope it will arrive soon, and will update with pics once ive installed. As far as the CAI, i will be going with the Steeda with tune but havent ordered it yet.
Old 7/8/15, 08:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Love to hear it!

TJ
Old 7/11/15, 07:25 PM

So the exhaust install is complete! I have some good and bad news. The good news is the new Corsa quad tip exhaust look great! The bad news is, (and I know this is sad I didn't realize earlier) the pre-existing exhaust on my mustang was already aftermarket. So when I upgraded, I noticed that although the sound was different (which I expected), the sound of the Corsa is much quieter than my pre-existing exhaust. I knew that the Corsa exhaust wasn't supposed to have any drone on the highway, but I feel like I don't have any drone at any speed! I feel like the only way I can enjoy the sound of my car is to hammer on the gas!

I'm left with a couple questions. First, does anyone know how to improve/increase the sound output of the corsa quad tip sport exhaust? I am planning on putting on an X-pipe and eliminating the cats soon. Will this make a huge improvement?

My second question is, does anyone know what type of exhaust I pulled off my car? It doesn't have any markings on it, I tried browsing all the axle-back systems on Americanmuscle.com, but couldbn't find a match.

I've attached pictures of my car, and the pre-existing exhaust to this post.

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to doing some more work on my car soon, and appreciate all of your input! :-)
Attached Thumbnails Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT??  CAI suggestions?-exhaust-incomplete.jpg   Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT??  CAI suggestions?-exhaust-complete.jpg   Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT??  CAI suggestions?-exhaust-closeup.jpg   Time for Exhaust - What should I go with for my 2014 GT??  CAI suggestions?-exhaust.jpg  
Old 7/12/15, 09:22 PM

Angry Feeling I made the wrong choice..

So I drove my car around all weekend, and have to say I'm disappointed that the Corsa exhaust doesn't have a more aggressive tone to it. I may be putting on my previous exhaust for the time being, which is too bad I installed the gt500 valance meant for dual tips. Maybe down the road I'll get a better sounding quad tip system. That was a fun $1200 experiment

If I keep the corsa, my hope is when I get an x-pipe it will increase the sound output...
Old 7/13/15, 05:18 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Cat or resonator delete will increase sound. The only downside of the GT500 valence is you pretty much have to have a quad tip system or it might look odd. I have the GT500 quads on mine, but the are fairly quiet until you step on the gas. I like them a lot, but they would have been too quiet for me if I was in my 20's again.
Old 7/13/15, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatStangGuy
My second question is, does anyone know what type of exhaust I pulled off my car? It doesn't have any markings on it, I tried browsing all the axle-back systems on Americanmuscle.com, but couldbn't find a match.

I've attached pictures of my car, and the pre-existing exhaust to this post.

Thanks again everyone! I look forward to doing some more work on my car soon, and appreciate all of your input! :-)

Looks like an MRT Interceptor Exhaust.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/91A153-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Shelby-GT500-Boss-302-MRT-Interceptor-Axle-Back-Exhaust.html

Last edited by imeyers302; 7/13/15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 7/13/15, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think as SpectreH said. do the resonator delete and you will be happy with the volume.
Old 7/14/15, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the posts, I'm actually warming up to the Corsa Sport quad tips, and found a video of someone on youtube with the same exhaust with the pypes off-road x-pipe. So I think I'm going to go that route for a little more noise. The youtube video link is below in case anyone wants to check it out:

The x-pipe I'll probably go with is here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...pe-1114gt.html

Does anyone know if it is mandatory to do a tune right after installing the x-pipe with resonator delete? Or can I have my mechanic install this on my car, and then take it to a specialty shop for tuning (I want to avoid issues with the O2 sensors/check engine light).

Thanks!!
Old 7/16/15, 05:26 PM

Cool Decisions Decisions...

Well, SURPRISE! I changed my mind again! My buddy had some work done on his mustang by a guy (Lidio) not too far away from me, and supposedly he is the mustang king of southeast Michigan. His shop is called Alternative Auto Performance, and he's located in Chesterfield, Michigan. I spoke to him today, and after doing a lot more research of my own, I think I am sold on the BBK Stainless Steel LT Headers, with a highflow catted x-pipe. He told me not to go with the O/R x-pipe because they could cause issues down the road... I'm not going to do this right away because it's going to cost close to 2K with parts and labor, but I think within the next few months I will have it done.

I am also considering to get the JLT CAI installed at his shop with a 93 octane tune. The price seems a little steep though, he's asking $825.00 out the door...for gains of about 25-30 hp at the wheels. I sort of feel its worth it since his shop has a great reputation, and he's been in the business for decades, plus he comes across as a very pleasant and knowledgable guy when talking to him on the phone.

What's holding me back is, I like the Steeda CAI, and I know I can install the unit myself which would save me money. Would it be more beneficial to pay the $400 for the Steeda CAI, purchase a BAMA x4 Tuner for $399, and tune my car myself???

Lidio's shop website is below:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/Home.html

Originally Posted by imeyers302
Looks like an MRT Interceptor Exhaust.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/91A...k-Exhaust.html
Thanks imeyers302! That is my previous exhaust! I was able to get ahold of the previous owner, and it sounds like the exhaust only had about 5k miles on it before I removed it. I'll probably end up throwing it on ebay:-)

Last edited by ThatStangGuy; 7/16/15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 7/16/15, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You could save a $125 + by just getting this combo & installing the unit yourself. We write the tune & you download it to your car. Very easy to do!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-manual-...pack-555-3935/

Here is an install from 2015 ... but will give you an idea of what it entails:

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/17/15, 07:22 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
You could save a $125 + by just getting this combo & installing the unit yourself. We write the tune & you download it to your car. Very easy to do!
Hi TJ,

If I buy the Steeda CAI with SCT X4 Tuner, will the unit be shipped with the tune I need for my car w/ the intake? Or do I need to let them know of any other vehicle mods (ie my axle back exhaust, and the steeda CAI), and then have them e-mail it to me?

Also, down the road, when I get the LT headers and x-pipe, will steeda recreate a tune I can download to my car? Is there any additional cost to getting a new tune?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

BTW your PM inbox is full
Old 7/17/15, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thank you, Steve ... I hit the full inbox this morning!

Yes, when you order the combo from us, you will get the tuner pre-programmed with your custom tunes on it.

When you order the tune & tuning combo from Steeda ... you are enrolled in tunes for life. Any adjustments that need to be made or if you need a new tune because you added parts can be done through our tuning request form here (Free of charge because you are tunes for life customer):

http://www.steeda.com/tuning/