From The Ford Salesman News and information directly from Ford dealers across the country. Also find a trusty dealership near you
Ford Salesmen Post Your Contact Info Here

Why isnt Car tracking Transparent?

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/08, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why isnt Car tracking Transparent?

My sister in law just bought a Prius, (for those of you that dont know) its a little car made in japan out of spit ***** etc...LOL..just kidding..

Well anyway--they were able to tell her where it was from the time it was started to the time it arrived at her dealership in town here...even while on the ship--rail--truck etc..

no salesman was harmed in the making of this transaction, and all involved were happy and kept in "the loop"......what part of this technology is over Fords head??

i went to blue oval, and they have a guy named star wars viper or something like that--and he seems to be doing tracking for people on cars that have a vin #....as a great favor to poeple who cant get any info from the dealer--shoudnt Ford be doing that??

Maybe Ford Does not like people to order cars and this is their way of saying so?
Old 3/25/08, 10:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I order all of our dealership's Mustangs, and we can easily track a special ordered car through the system, and even along the railroad after it's released from the plant via BNSF's website (our rail carrier to the NW). We happily update our customers anytime during the order process, but I realize that not all dealerships know how (or want) to do this, unfortunately.
Old 3/25/08, 11:43 PM

I must have really screwed up in picking this ford
dealer..

Thanks for the info

Tim
Old 12/7/08, 09:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I'd emailed Kzinti about a year ago, he said ford had something new called 'vehicle visibility' dealers CAN now use to get better info...however a couple dealers I talked to never heard of it...
Kzinti was using a system called 'tems' they use in the plants- guess that info is still too 'top secret' for ford to give buyers access too...stupid that fedex can track a 5$ pacage for you, but ford wont give customers similar access to info THEY DO HAVE READILY AVAILABLE on a 25~50,000 'package'... I spent a lot of time, talked to several higher ups at ford, got a letter back from a vice president even, but think they have so much to worry about right now, the sc rewed up system thats pissed away customers for so long is the last thing on their list...but everyone agreed they would also want the facts on their ordered car if the tables were turned. I guess with 'vehicle visibility' the ball is somewhat back in the dealers court, and the situation at ford is unchanged: the dealer is the customer, the buyer is the dealers problem...think that is a lot of the reason the big three are in such trouble.

amazing how clueless most dealers are- after seeing spyshots of the 2010, seriously considered ordering a 09- Jeff Greenly '05fordgt' in here knew more than any of the dealers I talked to...more than all of them combined and a couple regional guys i'd say...it took my local dealer a week to find out when order banks would close, on the way to florida stopped at a couple on the way...one said could order a 09 till march???, another had no idea after a few days of phone calls...by then though I saw the '10 reveal, and my ohio dealer found exact car I was going to order a couple hundred miles away from home...they did a dealer trade, split the flatbed towing, and its out in the garage with 3.1 miles on the clock I wish ford luck with the '10, but for me the mustang has 'peaked' with the 05~09 body...to me its second only to a 69 fastback, but infinitely more refined.
Old 12/8/08, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zrs4
My sister in law just bought a Prius, (for those of you that dont know) its a little car made in japan out of spit ***** etc...LOL..just kidding..

Well anyway--they were able to tell her where it was from the time it was started to the time it arrived at her dealership in town here...even while on the ship--rail--truck etc..

no salesman was harmed in the making of this transaction, and all involved were happy and kept in "the loop"......what part of this technology is over Fords head??

i went to blue oval, and they have a guy named star wars viper or something like that--and he seems to be doing tracking for people on cars that have a vin #....as a great favor to poeple who cant get any info from the dealer--shoudnt Ford be doing that??

Maybe Ford Does not like people to order cars and this is their way of saying so?
I had similar issues when I ordered mine.. It took over 10 weeks to come in from the time of my deposit. ...if only I'd of known then what I know now.
Old 12/10/08, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a shame that some dealers won't use Vehicle Visibility for their customers. Guess they just don't care to, I don't know. It would be nice for Ford to offer customer-based tracking for their own cars, when given a body code and order number. Maybe in the future, but not yet.

And Tim, thank you very much for the kind words my friend. I try to help everyone I can, even if I can't physically sell them the car. If they have more information after I am done speaking to them than before, I feel like I've accomplished something. At least they will have the correct order info, or program/rebate info to get their purchase started. And Tim, if you ever get out to the northern suburbs of Philadelphia sometime, give me a shout.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 12/10/08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12/10/08, 03:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I ordered my car. I had to get some 'secret' phone number that couldn't be posted on TMS, then had to call the ERL (remember her?) any type in the codes to find out where my car was at. It was really dumb, and I agree, the treatment of customers is a bigger reason that the big three are in trouble than the quality of cars.
Old 12/10/08, 11:17 PM

I went a really long time with no info whatsover--6 weeks into the order they could not tell me anything at all..and almost seemed ticked off that i was wanting to know--

now that i have my GT, i am so glad i finally found one at a chicago suburb, and had it trucked in..almost exactly right--just 18 inch wheels (which i ended up liking better) no plenum cover-which i have since corrected..and no hood scoop---a problem not really addressed yet..

i have to take a look at the 2010 you guys are talking about--i went over and looked at the 2009 and the glass roof--and 45 emblem..pretty nice ..

Tim