Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

WEC: Front-engine Mustang GTP foreshadowed Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/15, 05:44 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
WEC: Front-engine Mustang GTP foreshadowed Nissan GT-R LM NISMO

Some may remember . . .

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...-gt-r-lm-nismo

"I was working at SVO at Ford and they were talking about the GTP car, but Ford wanted to build a front engine racecar because they did not sell any rear engine cars. That's where that came from. That was a Ford decision," Riley told RACER.

If entering a front-engine GTP machine wasn't enough of a milestone, Riley also helped produce the first carbon fiber prototype chassis.

"Right about that time, a guy I worked with got in contact with Ford Aerospace," he said. "I went out to visit Ford Aerospace in Palo Alto, and I really had the car already designed with aluminum honeycomb flat sheets like they were at the time. I remember meeting with those guys – there were a bunch of PhD's in the room – and started going over the car design and they wanted to know the loads everywhere.

"So I had to come back and calculate all the loads going into the car and when I came back, they designed the panels to fit that exact load. They did a great job on the tub, and after we recalculated everything to the new materials, we just switched over to carbon sheets. It was all carbon, but it had a steel roll cage, and from what I understand, it was the first carbon sports car tub made."
Old 3/6/15, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool.