Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Track day

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/16, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Track day

So last weekend I had good results with my new wheel/tire combo doing autocross.
Saturday I would see how the tires performed on a road course at the auto club Speedway infield road course.
What a beautiful venue. There were car shows on the infield, auto cross in the parking lot, Road racing on the infield, drag racing at the strip and cars all around!
Air Temperatures would rise to nearly 100° and the track temperatures were well above that. After my first session I got the tires pressures dialed in and the grip was unbelievable! I was posting some of the fastest lap times of the day and in the final session in my group the fastest.
Best time of the day was a 116.9. By comparison purpose built stripped race cars with more than 600 hp running 112.5 or 113's.
I am very happy with the NIttos.
I do have a track app video as well as go pro footage but still trying to get it condensed and loaded. My stupid iPhone 6 memory was completely full and wouldn't let me shoot many photos. Here is some of my competition.
Stay tuned for video
Attached Thumbnails Track day-photo66.jpg   Track day-photo549.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ofequipmentgolf (10/10/16)
Old 9/25/16, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

One of the guys from the track day sent me this photo of my car
Attached Thumbnails Track day-photo680.jpg  
Old 9/25/16, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
One of the guys from the track day sent me this photo of my car
thats great! Glad the new setup is finally paying dividents. Looking forward to the videos! I'd love to do this type of event on an oval/infield circuit.
Old 9/27/16, 04:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Nice job! Glad the Nittos are working well, most people I know who run them love then too. Now you need to try hoosiers
Old 9/29/16, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 10/1/16, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Good video! Looks like a nice layout. I like that vantage point, and car sounds great. Did you use an external mic?
Old 10/1/16, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
That sounds like a very cool mixed event, we don't have anything like that here in the Northeast.

Driving looks good to me!

Video angle is cool as in different but a full view out the front gives a better picture of what is going on, the line, etc . . . . Sound track is awesome . . . would be a super cool adder for a picture-in-picture video.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
ofequipmentgolf (10/10/16), rpoppertdomi (10/25/16)
Old 10/1/16, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Good video! Looks like a nice layout. I like that vantage point, and car sounds great. Did you use an external mic?
Yes, I used an external mic with extended cord. I clip it to my license plate in the rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by redonblackpony:
Old 10/1/16, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
That sounds like a very cool mixed event, we don't have anything like that here in the Northeast.

Driving looks good to me!

Video angle is cool as in different but a full view out the front gives a better picture of what is going on, the line, etc . . . . Sound track is awesome . . . would be a super cool adder for a picture-in-picture video.
This was one of the coolest events I've been to. There was something going on every corner of the huge property. Next time I go back, I will run the oval incorporated into the road course.
I wish I were more computer \tech capable.
I watch all these edited cool overlaid videos and I have no idea how to do that! I use an old GoPro 2, but I would love to get a new one
I mounted the camera in that position looking for a different vantage point. I was experimenting with the vantage point. Not necessarily my favorite spot. I would've moved it to a different location but my memory was full. I'll keep trying to get better
Old 10/2/16, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by redonblackpony
. . .
I watch all these edited cool overlaid videos and I have no idea how to do that! I use an old GoPro 2, but I would love to get a new one . . .
I have been using Track Addict ap on my i-phone, which is compatible with Race Render on the PC to do create the final video. Like most of these things, they are very capable but a bit cryptic to figure out. Race Render does provide the tools to do picture-in-picture but I have never used it -- partly because I have only one video, plus I bet it is tricky to get the two videos synched with each other.

The ap can take input from a wireless ODBII plug-in if you have one . . . that's where the speed, RPM, etc. info comes from. I just got one and will try it next time out. Then the ap creates the video with the overlaid track map, speed, RPM, etc.

I know Derek and some of the other guys use "Harry's Lap Timer" which is probably better than Track Addict, but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by Bert; 10/2/16 at 07:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
Old 10/2/16, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the track addict app on my iPhone and have used it several times. I have been thinking about getting Harry's lap timer. I'll have to wait until I get a new phone because my memory is virtually full