Mustang Motorsports All forms of racing and motorsports activity allowed!

Boss vs 2015 GT PP for HPDE's Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/16, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss vs 2015 GT PP for HPDE's Which would you choose?

I'm in the market for my next track Car. I have about 20 - 25 track days under my belt and I'll do 3 to 4 weekends (6 to 8 days) of HPDE each summer going forward. I've run in the intermediate group in BMWCCA and SCCA events and will likely stay intermediate for the Balance of my weekend warrior career. Other than the occasional HPDE, it will be a sunny weekend car.

Now that the Boss and a used 2015 GT PP are about the same price, I'm curious which Trackers would choose and why.

Sorry guys, the GT350 is out of my budget!

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Bossdog; 2/6/16 at 08:08 PM.
Old 2/6/16, 09:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Why not compare track times? The GT PP is typically a second or two faster around a track, with more creature comforts and a better ride, while not being a "collector car." Seems like a no brainer.
Old 2/6/16, 10:28 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
If you want/need the creature comforts, go with the GT. Touch-screen, nav, back-up camera, leather & heated & power seats, auto climate control, good stereo, etc. If you want more bare-bones ride, no-frills, more fun and noise, go with the Boss. Both are great. Boss is certainly special.
Old 2/6/16, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
If you want/need the creature comforts, go with the GT. Touch-screen, nav, back-up camera, leather & heated & power seats, auto climate control, good stereo, etc. If you want more bare-bones ride, no-frills, more fun and noise, go with the Boss. Both are great. Boss is certainly special.
Or a base S550 with PP and Recaros...
Old 2/7/16, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
I'd go with the 2015, given those two choices. But if my main use was track days, I'd look into the option packages to get the most basic model that has the key performance goodies (brakes and the cloth Recaro seats)

But since I'm on a more restricted budget, personally I would look for a 2012-2014 GT (base if mostly track, premium if the "luxury" stuff matters) and mod it for the track. From what I have read, the Boss 302 is actually worse than the regular GT for track days; the Boss has overheating issues and some other issues that the regular GT does not have. Many of the "track impromvents" on the Boss 302 can be done better other ways, starting from a base GT. (examples: oil cooler, wheels/tires) Go over to allfordmustangs forum and check out some of csamsh posts on the subject.

Last edited by Bert; 2/7/16 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2/7/16, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I would go with the boss!
I like the way a solid rear axle car drives (on a track)!
Plus the boss will have much better resale latter on!
Plus my relatively mildly modified 2014 on street tires has yet to be out ran by a 2015 mustang on a autocross track, road corse, or drag strip by a 2015 of similar mods!
If we were talking about creature comforts and daily driving then I would say a 2015, but for track work I like the boss or 2013-2014 Gt better!
A lot comes down to personal preference!
Old 2/7/16, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
. . . my relatively mildly modified 2014 on street tires has yet to be out ran by a 2015 mustang on a autocross track, road corse, or drag strip . . .
has it been outrun by a Boss?
Old 2/7/16, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Or a base S550 with PP and Recaros...
Ah the brilliance in that suggestion...!
Old 2/7/16, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Ah the brilliance in that suggestion...!
Old 2/7/16, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I also run in the intermediate group with the BMW CCA superbly organized events and very safe. Lately I've also run a a lot with 3 ***** Racing as well.

I would personally go for the Boss for 3 reasons:

1) GT still has the 6800 rpm red line, while the Boss spins to 7400rpm. On the tracks I go to this makes a difference between having to upshift for 2s just to downshift again (or riding the rev limiter), or being able to put the power down in same gear (gaining time).
2) GT is a common car while the Boss has some serious heritage, plus the boss is lighter.
3) I can't stand the S550, I think its ugly as

I think you'll be disapointed with the pitch roll and dive characteristics o a GT PP car. Might as well start with the Boss platform. You can only get better from there.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/7/16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2/7/16, 10:01 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
^^^^ I agree with 5.MONSTER. I would also go with the Boss.

Forged engine internals, best handling features of the S197s, higher revs, better looks, and collectible to boot. What more could you want.

But I do like the GT350.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/7/16 at 10:03 AM.
Old 2/7/16, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
has it been outrun by a Boss?
Not by one that hasn't been modified more than mine!
I did have a bunch of fun one track day with a couple Boss owners!
But I'm always looking for new people to go race with!
And I'm inviting any Boss owner to come out and play this year!

But back to the OP original question, I would not get a S550 for a track car unless it was a GT350!
(just my opinion, and I have a lot of them )
Old 2/7/16, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Just pick whichever you like the best. Who cares if one or the other is a second or two faster? There's always a faster car... So get whichever looks best in your driveway and you have the most fun driving.
Old 2/7/16, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I also run in the intermediate group with the BMW CCA superbly organized events and very safe. Lately I've also run a a lot with 3 ***** Racing as well.
Yes, I love the BMW clubs, I've run in Michigan, Ohio and PA, very well organized and focused on safety. I ran with 3 ***** a few times, I was a bit unnerved by the cavalier attitude toward safety and inexperienced drivers the few times I ran with them.

Last edited by Bossdog; 2/7/16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2/7/16, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the input! lots of good points. I definitely don't need any "luxuries"!

Pros for the 2015 GT PP:
IRS
I love the looks of the S550!!
I like the 2015 Recaro's more than the Boss Recaro's

Con's
Weight (but really, Com-on Man! their Both Pigs!)

Boss Pros:
Forged Internals
Purpose built
Heritage
Slightly Higher red line
Stock exhaust Sounds better. (I understand that can be remedied on the GT with $$'s)

Con's
Older version of the mustang.
I am familiar with a few oil temp issues but If i recall correctly most were remedied by just drilling out the Faux light area in the grill to allow more cooling air.
I do like the hood Vents in the 13' Boss!

By some accounts, the 15' GT PP may be a bit quicker around a road course. However, I am certain my driving skills are not adequate to extract 95+ % from either vehicles full potential, so that probably doesn't come into play for me.

One thing that carries weight with me, most of the professional drivers that have tested/evaluated the Boss, say how much fun it is to drive, even when compared to faster cars.

Last edited by Bossdog; 2/7/16 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2/8/16, 05:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Not by one that hasn't been modified more than mine! . . . .
That's kinda my point -- the regular GT is a better road track platform than the Boss; with all the money you saved you can mod the hell out of the regular GT and have a better track car.

The only thing I know that the regular GT cannot easily match or exceed is the "collectibility" factor of the Boss
Old 2/8/16, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
That's kinda my point -- the regular GT is a better road track platform than the Boss; with all the money you saved you can mod the hell out of the regular GT and have a better track car
The 2012 Boss and a used 15 GT PP are now about the same price. I spent the last three years "modding the hell out of" an STi. It was a lot of fun, so I appreciate those who want to do that and enjoy it. However, this time around I'm not looking to go through that process again. For me, my evaluation is considering each vehicle pretty much stock.
Old 2/8/16, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bossdog
Yes, I love the BMW clubs, I've run in Michigan, Ohio and PA, very well organized and focused on safety. I ran with 3 ***** a few times, I was a bit unnerved by the cavalier attitude toward safety and inexperienced drivers the few times I ran with them.
I noticed this as well. If you come from a BMW CCA event to a 3 ***** Event you will certainly notice a large difference in how they are managed. There is a bit more seed of the pants feel in the first 2 run groups, but intermediate and advanced are usually pretty good. More experienced drivers and people certainly realize this isn't a race. The group I run in is point-to-pass anywhere on the track, which I like.

To be fair though, 3 ***** is more of an Open Track Days format. BMWCCA is a driver school.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/8/16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2/8/16, 12:52 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Ok I'll ask what does the 3 ***** stand for?
Old 2/8/16, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Ok I'll ask what does the 3 ***** stand for?
Their motto is "when 2 just won't do"

http://www.3ballsracing.com/

Quick Reply: Boss vs 2015 GT PP for HPDE's Which would you choose?