Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Any special way to clean Garage dust?

Old 4/19/16, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any special way to clean Garage dust?

Normally every winter I put my mustang in the garage, put a car cover on it, battery tender, and let it hibernate until spring arrives.

The beginning of winter was very mild and I didn't put the Mustang away until very late - and at the time it was so cold that I didn't spend any real time on it. I never covered it. Each day I told myself I would, but then as it started collecting dust, I was worried then the car cover would have dust inside it and make the cover not usable.

Now it's warm enough to drive, and it's spent 3 months in the garage. Is there anything special I should do? I was thinking to do a rinse with water just pouring from a hose, no nozzle or anything, and then later on when I have the time to properly wash, clay bar, and wax. But if for some reason that's the wrong path, I don't want to do (additional) damage...
Old 4/19/16, 06:46 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
California duster:
http://californiacardusters.com
Most auto parts stores have them.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJRManagement:
1blkpny (5/7/17), rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/8/16, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd wait until I could give the car a proper washing.
Old 6/8/16, 02:29 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I've recently become a fan of Croftgate and have slowly been introducing many of their products into my detailing stash.

This will get you started:

http://www.shop.croftgatejersey.com/...z-awashwax.htm

My Mustang is black and I am very careful (and obsessive) with body maintenance. I've heard about rinse less systems before but was skeptical until I saw this stuff demo'd on a somewhat dirty black Mustang....outdoors and in direct sunlight.

All you need is a 1 gal bucket, a grit guard, one cap full of Wash & Wax, and a few good quality microfiber cloths. You dampen a cloth in the bucket, wipe each panel, then dry with another cloth. No pre or post rinse, no messing with hoses, no waiting for a sun-less day, and even in the tightest of garages like mine it can be cleaned inside in about 20 minutes.

The Wash & Wax repels garage dust to a degree....not 100%, but it seems to be reduced. It also works well on pollen without doing damage.

I use their other products as well...no VOC's, no petroleum in anything. I have yet to cause any swirls or holograms in the clear coat.

Here's some recent pics using the wash and other protective sprays.
Attached Thumbnails Any special way to clean Garage dust?-sam_4989.jpg   Any special way to clean Garage dust?-sam_4990-copy.jpg  

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 6/8/16 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/10/16, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Triple, how do you like there other products?? Do they perform well??
Old 6/10/16, 08:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Pledge?
Old 6/10/16, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
California duster:
http://californiacardusters.com
Most auto parts stores have them.
No way I would ever use one of those. Your clear coat will become swirl city with those.
Old 6/11/16, 07:55 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MadcapMagician
Triple, how do you like there other products?? Do they perform well??

I use these:

Wash & Wax rinse less solution
Project X (I use this as a protectant)
Quick-n-Slick (I use as a detail spray and sometimes on top of the Project X)
Tire Shine
Leather Conditioner

I also got their swirl/scratch compound and polish for use with a buffer. Haven't used them yet, but plan on paint correction in mid-summer as part my regular seasonal routine. Doesn't look like I need it now. Like any other product it takes a couple of tries to get into the detail routine and order of things that work best for me.

A big advantage to me is that it takes so much less time to get a really outstanding finish without the usual mess and clean-up. I have a very tight garage, just 10' wide and now I can do the entire car inside (except for vacuuming which requires doors to be fully open). I've eliminated soap, a water hose which eliminates the horror of spots on a black car, my MetroVac Master Blaster air blower, all the post-detailing clean up, and I don't have to wait for a cloudy day to clean the car out of the sun since I can work with a roof over my head. If I'm just removing garage dust and pollen, it takes about 20 minutes with the Wash & Wax, longer if I'm doing a nook and cranny detail. Regardless, I expend a lot less effort.

The manufacturer says the Wash & Wax can be used in direct sunlight without streaking. I don't do that but I have seen it demo'd several times when the distributor sets up at shows. I can attest that it works as advertised.

However I personally wouldn't recommend a rinseless system on a car that is dirty and grimy although the vendor says otherwise. My car is garaged and always has a good, clean base since I detail it a few times a week. It may collect dust and gobs of pollen, but it's never dirty .

Many customers swear that it's better than all other stuff that's out there. Don't know if I'd go that far but in my opinion it's at least as good as other methods with less hassle.

So far I'm happy.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/11/16, 10:14 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by SplitSecond
No way I would ever use one of those. Your clear coat will become swirl city with those.
I've always used one and I've got no swirl marks. IMHO swirl marks are introduced by improper washing techniques.
Old 6/11/16, 10:37 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I've always used one and I've got no swirl marks. IMHO swirl marks are introduced by improper washing techniques.
^This^
Old 6/11/16, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Also with proper washing techniques, over 4 years of OCD 2 bucket washes that take me 3-4 hours to complete each time, I learned no matter how gentle you can be, over time micro scratches will happen( micro scratches as in smaller and not as deep then a typical swirlmark), and with each year you can spot more and more. Nothing lasts forever, entropy at its best.
Tho it is still smooth and clean as hell, its just with my OCD eye and under hard light you can spot them if you look really close enough.
Dont start me on the plastic they used on the taillights, they micro scratch by just looking at them.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 6/11/16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 6/11/16, 11:23 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
Also with proper washing techniques, over 4 years of OCD 2 bucket washes that take me 3-4 hours to complete each time, I learned no matter how gentle you can be, over time micro scratches will happen( micro scratches as in smaller and not as deep then a typical swirlmark), and with each year you can spot more and more. Nothing lasts forever, entropy at its best.
Tho it is still smooth and clean as hell, its just with my OCD eye and under hard light you can spot them if you look really close enough.
Dont start me on the plastic they used on the taillights, they micro scratch by just looking at them.
You are correct sir. And I'd add that keeping the car extra clean as much as your schedule allows will keep swirls, scratches and holograms to a minimum. Just keeping a car clean once in a while doesn't cut it. You need a good protected base to work with. Otherwise it's like herding cats.

I do a paint correction at least twice a season....and with the extreme pollen we've been having in the northeast and almost daily attempts at removing it, I'll probably do a third paint correction in the fall.
Old 6/11/16, 01:34 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Pledge?
LMMFAO