Europe Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

64.5 in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/11, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
64.5 in Italy?

Hey all,

Got a few questions. I am supposedly going to Italy here in a few months (providing PRP gets approved). My original plan was to get a used 2011 and have it shipped by the government, but being I got quoted $400 a month insurance, I don't see that happening.

So I have this 64.5 sitting in storage that I was just going to leave there as it runs, but needs some work. But if I can get parts shipped I have a free vehicle shipment. Anyone know how easy it is to get parts shipped to an APO?

I have not checked in on insurance yet so this may be a mute point. Any tips/ideas/points that can be offered would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 9/6/11, 05:17 AM
Bullitt Member

You probably have an answer to this already but large parts are going to be a pain to ship here. Most companies wont ship and if they do they are limited to size/weight constraints. Insurance here is a pain in the ***. Once you see how they drive you'll understand though. Good luck with the move.
Old 9/6/11, 09:08 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mustangs Unlimited offers world wide shipping

Here is their restriction for APOs and FPOs

The maximum size package that can be shipped cannot exceed 108 inches in length and girth or 70 pounds in weight. This includes all items classified as Oversize 2 or Oversize 3. You will need a physical address to ship items larger than this.

Last edited by BA Mustang; 9/6/11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 9/7/11, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Getting parts isn't what's the problem really. It's the shipping costs, the additional time you have to factor in to get the parts, and the eventual taxes you get slapped with for the parts.
Old 9/23/11, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Neko-
Getting parts isn't what's the problem really. It's the shipping costs, the additional time you have to factor in to get the parts, and the eventual taxes you get slapped with for the parts.

If he is using an APO or FPO there are no additional shipping costs as it is the US Postal Service. And, there are no additional taxes since the parts are going to a US military base.

You can also order parts through the military exchange on base.

As for insurance, are you dealing with an Italian company? Contact someone on the base and ask them for a referral to a company used by base personnel. The prices may be a lot lower.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/23/11 at 08:48 PM.
Old 9/25/11, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

DHL seems to be the carrier of choice here. VAT is pretty expensive and doesnt really seem worth the extra cost for shipping large items that cant be shipped with USPS.