General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What are "tunes"?

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/14, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What are "tunes"?

And how do they work? Being an old guy that is used to points, plugs, and a timing light, this past summer I purchased a '14 GT. What is the procedure for a "tune"? Does this work by altering the peak horsepower and torque at different RPM's? I would guess this would be detrimental to gas mileage and warranty. Thanks.
Old 11/24/14, 05:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It alters how the ECU (computer) interacts with the vehicle. There are a TON of parameters that the vehicle's computer can control, and the tune can change some of those to increase power, decrease throttle lag, and alter how the transmission shifts if you have an auto. Basically, it does a lot of what you used to do with carbed engines, but instead of doing all the tweaking yourself with a couple tools, you're telling the computer to make all those tweaks.

A tune may or may not decrease your mileage; in some cases it can increase it. It may or may not void your warranty, it depends on what exactly is being warrantied, and if the tune caused the issue. If a tie rod breaks prematurely then a tune will not effect such a warranty claim in any way.
Old 11/24/14, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simply stated, a tune reprograms the ECU (Engine Control Unit). You typically need a flash device/tuner, i.e., SCT, Diablosport, etc. A "tune" can improve performance, mileage, etc., by changing the air/fuel, timing, rev limiter, shift-points(automatic), etc.

You generally need a "tuner" to load... and more importantly- store your OEM settings in the event that you would want to return the car back to stock... or load a different tune, i.e., going from a 93 performance tune to a 91 torque tune.

Yes, a tune "can" effect your warranty, but would only apply damage that occurred as a direct result of the tune- see Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

That about sums it up... Others can chime in for further details.

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 11/24/14 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11/25/14, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this thread below for a description at a technical level

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-look-530110/

-Matt
Old 11/25/14, 07:34 AM

Then is the tune from the factory a compromise of performance, economy, and emissions? I would think any change in tune would be detrimental to at least one of those or it would have been done at Ford. What is the procedure to do this? Do you purchase a "flash device" for one cost and then another cost in purchasing data to download to it?
Old 11/25/14, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by super-six
Then is the tune from the factory a compromise of performance, economy, and emissions? I would think any change in tune would be detrimental to at least one of those or it would have been done at Ford. What is the procedure to do this? Do you purchase a "flash device" for one cost and then another cost in purchasing data to download to it?
The factory calibration is a mix of performance, emissions, and torque management.

Factory calibrations are slightly limited to reduce the onset of torque, and in turn, reduces the amount of parts that break. This saves Ford a good bit on warranty work.

Yes, if you purchase a flash device from us (Redliners) it comes with 3 free tunes with updates for life.

Check us out! http://www.redliners.com/

Feel free to PM me or email with any questions. matt@redliners.com
-Matt
Old 11/25/14, 09:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you have a '14 Gt, if your GT was manufactured after July 2013 you can get a trackey and have the best of both worlds. Using the Trackey will load a Tune from Ford racing and using your old key will load the stock tune. It's pretty cool. Check out the link to Ford racing

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/default.asp
Old 11/25/14, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by gjcavana
Since you have a '14 Gt, if your GT was manufactured after July 2013 you can get a trackey and have the best of both worlds. Using the Trackey will load a Tune from Ford racing and using your old key will load the stock tune. It's pretty cool. Check out the link to Ford racing

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/default.asp
I have an automatic. Doesn't look like that will work. Irregardless thanks for the info!
Old 11/25/14, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yes, a tune "can" effect your warranty, but would only apply damage that occurred as a direct result of the tune- see Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
This is interesting. There have been a number of threads on this forum on the subject of tunes and many of them have mentioned impact on warranty. The opinion typically expressed is that installing a tune does give Ford grounds to void your warranty. It has also been noted that Ford can tell if you have installed a tune even if you return the ECU to stock configuration.
So what is the true and correct answer and where does the burden of proof lie?
Old 11/25/14, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
It has also been noted that Ford can tell if you have installed a tune even if you return the ECU to stock configuration.
So what is the true and correct answer and where does the burden of proof lie?
Read my thread linked few posts above.

Ford can NOT detect that a aftermarket tune has been installed vs an session with IDS as long as the PCM has been returned back to stock.

Source: I am a former a OEM software engineer. (Meaning I used to work a portion of the software that goes inside the PCM). See all my other posts on this forum

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 11/25/14, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are correct.

I purchased my tuner from American Muscle and had it preloaded with a a performance tune for 87 octane a performance tune for 93 octane and a race tune for 93 octane. The tunes were from Bama tuning. To retune the car, you plug the flash tuner into the OBDII port located under the dash on the driver's side. The tuner will store the original parameters.

When you order the tuner, Bama Tuning will ask what you have for performance modifications (mine was a cold air induction system) and they will set the tunes for that.

I have an automatic transmission and have the performance 93 tune in my car. My gas mileage went up, I average 16 in the city and 23 to 24 on the highway when I set the cruise control at 80.
Old 11/26/14, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Read my thread linked few posts above.

Ford can NOT detect that a aftermarket tune has been installed vs an session with IDS as long as the PCM has been returned back to stock.

Source: I am a former a OEM software engineer. (Meaning I used to work a portion of the software that goes inside the PCM). See all my other posts on this forum

Cheers,
-Matt
Are you sure? Apparently Ford says they can tell and there is a TSB 11-07-07 from ford to watch out for people who have flashed their cars and then flashed them back to stock when bringing cars in for warranty work.

See this Tread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...1-07-07-a.html
Old 11/26/14, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr
Are you sure? Apparently Ford says they can tell and there is a TSB 11-07-07 from ford to watch out for people who have flashed their cars and then flashed them back to stock when bringing cars in for warranty work.

See this Tread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...1-07-07-a.html
If you read that TSB, it doesn't really say that they can in fact tell that a tune was on the vehicle. A whole lot of "may or may not" being said there.

In fact, the whole thing reads like a scare letter, it's only purpose to make it sound like Ford will know as to keep people from tuning their vehicle then wanting warranty work. There is so little definitive information in that TSB, I don't really know what use it is to service departments.
Old 11/26/14, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know how valid this is but my understanding is that they can tell how many times changes have been made to your ecu. They can't tell what. My service advisor told me that it isn't a given that it would the void the warranty but it makes the process much longer and Can lead to a denial of service. I figured a would play it safe and wait.
Old 11/26/14, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
If you read that TSB, it doesn't really say that they can in fact tell that a tune was on the vehicle. A whole lot of "may or may not" being said there.
You are right. If you follow the flowchart at the end, it has the service tech checking for P1000.

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I don't know how valid this is but my understanding is that they can tell how many times changes have been made to your ecu. They can't tell what.
This is correct, its just a matter of how many times a diagnostic session with FLASH access has been started with the ECU. Its a counter that is stored in non user accessible flash. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ford can NOT detect that a aftermarket tune was installed, there is no "magic dust" left behind from an aftermarket tune. Now, if you leave the aftermarket tune installed...then yea, thats a no brainer...

For instance, if you owned a VCM and IDS, and flashed your PCM with the stock Ford tune 20 times, its going to throw out that same red flag as if you wrote a custom tune to it 20 times.

Cheers,
-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 11/26/14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11/27/14, 07:01 AM

Are the initial tunes in the $350-$400 range? What kind of power gains are common with a tune?
Old 11/27/14, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are the initial tunes in the $350-$400 range? What kind of power gains are common with a tune?
It all depends on who you go with.

Our one time tunes are $50 with free upgrades for life. (I brought back the same price as when I was working with BamaChips, I think the price wars has gotten out of control). Feel free to PM me or email me with questions! matt@redliners.com

Expect 15-20 rwhp and 20-30 rwtq with just a tune.

-Matt
Old 11/27/14, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Matt can you speak to what your tunes do to increase throttle response?
Old 11/27/14, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Hey Matt can you speak to what your tunes do to increase throttle response?
Sure! I make several changes to the Electronic Throttle Control portion of the calibration, as well as torque/spark ramping along with some fueling changes to get it up in the powerband quicker.

Cheers,
-Matt