Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water pouring in from under the dash on passenger side

Old 7/28/15, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water pouring in from under the dash on passenger side

I finally finally have success at repairing the problem.

I know that most of the people in this forum are men that enjoy getting their hands greasy and fixing things but I am here to tell you that I am a 56 year old married for 34 years and this is my 3rd mustang. I have never had this problem before and my interior smells terrible because I can't keep the floor dry on the passenger side due to it raining every day.

Today I was determined to find that drain and pull that grommet out of there.

So I opened the hood, threw up a no longer in use comforter over the engine and with a two step ladder climbed on top of the engine. My arm was not long enough and I couldn't see it from the side of the car. I removed the piece of plastic that covered the area below the windshield that was covering the cabin filter. I shined a flashlight in the compartment and low and behold there it is the rectangle shaped grommet surrounding the drain. I stuck my finger in it and it was filled with leaves. Gooey leaves I might add. I pushed harder and when I did out went the water along with the grommet which you guys said to remove to make the hole bigger anyways.

I'm proud of myself because I didnt give up and I kept researching and now I know why there is no pictures of it. It's too hard to get in there to take them.

But for anyone that might be looking for it, it's about half way from left to middle of the car in the fire wall where the cabin filter is located.

Happy Happy Happy Happy!
The following users liked this post:
iain53 (5/30/19)
Old 5/30/19, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That feeling of satisfaction is addictive. Before you know it, you'll be inventing things to fix. Mufflers, springs, shocks, air intake...
Old 5/31/19, 04:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
That is a common problem with the S197 Mustangs. You gotta be on the lookout for a couple of things now. Since the water was getting in there, your SJB (secondary junction box) may have gotten wet. It controls a lot of the electrical in the cabin. So if you begin to get weird electrical symptoms in there, that may be the cause. I hope you miss out on that one. (You did clean out that space under the cowl, right?)

Second of course is mildew and smell. I am sure you already know ways to manage that, but you may want to consider replacing the carpet eventually. The factory original carpet is not great quality anyway. Replace that cabin filter, too.

You should find two grades of replacement carpet on the market - similar to factory original, and a higher quality version. When I replace, I am going for the better carpet.
Old 6/9/19, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Well you cleaned one of the drains, there is one more on the drivers side. And put them back when you clean them out. They keep noxious fumes out of the cabin. I check mine at every oil change.