General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Should I win, or should he win? The big Stripe Question!

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/14, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I win, or should he win? The big Stripe Question!

Hi all,

We just bought a 2013 V6 Premium, Race Red, with the glass roof. It already has the pony pkg lower stripe. Pic below.

My husband is a straight up single or double racing stripe fan. I'm ok with that, but what I really LOVE is the hood stripe I found on this Mustang on the Ford Mustang Facebook page. Photo credit to owner Linda Verch. I would probably ditch the Ford oval part of it though.

Hubby wasn't crazy about it. So what do you all think of this stripe?

Our car, then the other with hood stripe:

Old 11/22/14, 08:09 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm probably no help. I like stripes, to wit:
Name:  IMG_0062_zps70f2d986.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  88.7 KB

But it is so easy to go overboard. The example (green car) is overboard. It doesn't contribute to the overall flow of the paint scheme. On top of that, you would need to be in the same perspective as that photo to get the full effect of the graphics and how many times does one look DOWN on a car? I like the existing stripes (although I'd probably run them in parallel with the "running boards" and not the side cove.)

Further, my opinion is worth exactly zilch. So there!

Last edited by junkman9096; 11/22/14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11/23/14, 01:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everything Junkman said, especially that I will be no help and that I like stripes (obviously). I also think that your existing stripes should run parallel to the rocker panels. I think the stripes on Junkman's blue Mustang are one of the best choices on a '13. My opinion is also worth zilch.
Old 11/23/14, 01:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Hi all, We just bought a 2013 V6 Premium, Race Red, with the glass roof. It already has the pony pkg lower stripe. Pic below. My husband is a straight up single or double racing stripe fan. I'm ok with that, but what I really LOVE is the hood stripe I found on this Mustang on the Ford Mustang Facebook page. Photo credit to owner Linda Verch. I would probably ditch the Ford oval part of it though. Hubby wasn't crazy about it. So what do you all think of this stripe? Our car, then the other with hood stripe:
As I posted in your welcome thread, I think your car would look amazing without the factory side stripes. Let the shiny tribar pony emblems do the talking, which also happen to match your wheels. Lower it a little (say Steeda Sports or Eibach Pro-kit) and eventually add some bigger 20" polished mesh wheels, and it would look gorgeous!
Old 11/23/14, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by junkman9096
I'm probably no help. I like stripes, to wit:

But it is so easy to go overboard. The example (green car) is overboard. It doesn't contribute to the overall flow of the paint scheme. On top of that, you would need to be in the same perspective as that photo to get the full effect of the graphics and how many times does one look DOWN on a car? I like the existing stripes (although I'd probably run them in parallel with the "running boards" and not the side cove.)

Further, my opinion is worth exactly zilch. So there!
Well, guess I'm gonna lose this one! Even with opinions that are worth zilch, lol. You do make some good points, especially the perspective point. So.....back to the striping drawing board, and by the way, even though I am not a blue person - your car is beautiful and I do really like your stripes especially since they are white and not the standard black.
Old 11/23/14, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I agree with everything Junkman said, especially that I will be no help and that I like stripes (obviously). I also think that your existing stripes should run parallel to the rocker panels. I think the stripes on Junkman's blue Mustang are one of the best choices on a '13. My opinion is also worth zilch.
I like stripes too, but I'm not sure I like the side stripes where they are, or even the color. I'm more partial to the Boss style side stripe (without the Boss, obviously), simply because it would come down and be the background behind the tri bar fender badges - I think they would show up better. The question then becomes black stripes, or white stripes, or even silver - I love red with white, but this car also has the glass roof so not sure how good white would look with that.

What I really should have done was buy a Laguna Seca, because I really love everything on that car, haha.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 11/23/14, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
As I posted in your welcome thread, I think your car would look amazing without the factory side stripes. Let the shiny tribar pony emblems do the talking, which also happen to match your wheels. Lower it a little (say Steeda Sports or Eibach Pro-kit) and eventually add some bigger 20" polished mesh wheels, and it would look gorgeous!
Laser, I'm at a loss on wheels too. I like (but don't LOVE) the wheels on it, particularly if we do striping in black (even without the side stripes). When I started researching wheels, it looks like even going to a 19" wheel negates the ability to keep a spare tire in the vehicle, which is pretty important to me since I have a long commute - from San Jose to deep into Monterey County some days. I see you are in the Bay Area also?
Old 11/23/14, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Laser, I'm at a loss on wheels too. I like (but don't LOVE) the wheels on it, particularly if we do striping in black (even without the side stripes). When I started researching wheels, it looks like even going to a 19" wheel negates the ability to keep a spare tire in the vehicle, which is pretty important to me since I have a long commute - from San Jose to deep into Monterey County some days. I see you are in the Bay Area also?
Ah yes I am, east bay! I have the Track Pack, but I got a spare from a V6 before I even bought my car. If I ever need to, I'll just swap a good wheel onto the front and put the spare on the rear. You don't have to worry about that. If you keep the aftermarket wheels the same diameter, the spare will work fine.

What color is your interior? I generally like to correspond the interior with stripe and wheel choices. I'm really really partial to polished wheels on Race Red though. I love your current look, it just needs to be bigger and wider to fill up the wheel wells. If you're not busy today, there's a Mustang meet in San Leandro at the Pep Boys on E 14th St!
Old 11/23/14, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Ah yes I am, east bay! I have the Track Pack, but I got a spare from a V6 before I even bought my car. If I ever need to, I'll just swap a good wheel onto the front and put the spare on the rear. You don't have to worry about that. If you keep the aftermarket wheels the same diameter, the spare will work fine.

What color is your interior? I generally like to correspond the interior with stripe and wheel choices. I'm really really partial to polished wheels on Race Red though. I love your current look, it just needs to be bigger and wider to fill up the wheel wells. If you're not busy today, there's a Mustang meet in San Leandro at the Pep Boys on E 14th St!
Well, bummer - we were off doing errands and I just now saw your reply! Would have loved to see all of the local hardware up there, although it probably isn't too good for the pocket book to see all the great ideas others have done.

Our interior is black, which is ok, but oh-so-common. The only reason this car won out is because of how well optioned it was, including the glass roof. I was looking at a 2013 Red Candy, with the stone interior, which I really liked. But it didn't have the Pony package or the glass roof, so we passed and bought this one instead. This car even has a block heater since it originated in Alaska. Guess we can travel the world all winter and not worry, haha.
Old 11/23/14, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hah I missed the show too. I couldn't bring my car there with 3 aftermarket wheels. Maybe black Boss style stripes, with the Tribars on top, SVE Drifts in black with the stock Tribar center caps. That would be