General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Shaker 500 to base?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/15, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 500 to base?

Can I connect my 2008 Shaker 500 set up to a base model stereo? I see there are 3 connectors from the harness to 2 connections from the base unit.
Old 3/14/16, 02:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I know this is old but I still want to answer the question for the next person who runs into this question.

The answer is YES. You can use a Shaker 500 in place of any CD or CD6 head, but, you will NOT have the subs that come with the factory Shaker set up. You can add the wiring for the Shaker, J3 plug, and go that way. If you do, use a schematic from an 07 up Mustang, that way you have the latest wiring updates. The 05 and 06 may not have 2 wires, that are necessary in a base Mustang. You can easily add this wiring, and you can also add the 4 wires to the J1 plug, if you want to add a later (2010 up) steering wheel with audio controls. Be advised, Shaker 500/1000's do NOT have sw controls operational from Ford. These have to be programmed by a dealer or radio shop that has the equipment and knowledge of how to reprogram the head. A CD6 from a Fusion/Taurus/Edge, etc, will work well with our Mustangs and early 04-05 F150's. The best part of these are that they are 99% already set up and programmed for swc's. Perfect, plug and play, quick change radio head. Navigation radios will work well in our Mustangs also. 18k931 is the navigtion basic part number if you look for one to work.

If you run into a question about what fits where, PM me your questions, and I will try and answer any Ford radio questions. I have a list of what fits what and where you can use certain heads.

Last edited by akdoggie; 3/14/16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 2/16/19, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi there thanks for all that info

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I know this is old but I still want to answer the question for the next person who runs into this question.

The answer is YES. You can use a Shaker 500 in place of any CD or CD6 head, but, you will NOT have the subs that come with the factory Shaker set up. You can add the wiring for the Shaker, J3 plug, and go that way. If you do, use a schematic from an 07 up Mustang, that way you have the latest wiring updates. The 05 and 06 may not have 2 wires, that are necessary in a base Mustang. You can easily add this wiring, and you can also add the 4 wires to the J1 plug, if you want to add a later (2010 up) steering wheel with audio controls. Be advised, Shaker 500/1000's do NOT have sw controls operational from Ford. These have to be programmed by a dealer or radio shop that has the equipment and knowledge of how to reprogram the head. A CD6 from a Fusion/Taurus/Edge, etc, will work well with our Mustangs and early 04-05 F150's. The best part of these are that they are 99% already set up and programmed for swc's. Perfect, plug and play, quick change radio head. Navigation radios will work well in our Mustangs also. 18k931 is the navigtion basic part number if you look for one to work.

If you run into a question about what fits where, PM me your questions, and I will try and answer any Ford radio questions. I have a list of what fits what and where you can use certain heads.
i am trying to figure if i have all the wiring from a gt that has a shaker 500 can i add to my base model the door panels and make the subs function ,i literally have all the parts from the gt ,i imagine i have to tape into some original wiring and change the door harness for the sub wires as well? Thanks for any input greatly appreciated