General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/06, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Silverhorse Racing billet fuel door installed!

This is a quality piece of billet aluminum and comes with all the necessary hardware.
No drilling is required for this install; picks up OEM hole locations.
Door had some resistance built in, will not swing out on its own.
Door closes securely by magnet.

Out of the package

Factory fuel door

Note: Only 2 bolts at the hinge holds the door on

Carefully, pry out the 'Christmas Tree' plastic retainer that holds the lanyard to the fuel cap

Remove the OEM door

The 2 rubber bumpers also get removed

New billet fuel door is brought into position (installation paper will illustrate where the white spacer washers go, different for all 3 mounting studs) Note: If you wish to keep the OEM fuel cap lanyard, attach it to the lower stud before installing the nut

Carefully, install the rest of the hardware onto the studs. I used a drop of blue Loctite on each of the 3 nuts prior to installing them. Each of the 3 nuts are tightened down until proper fair is achieved (additional stainless steel washers may be required, but I didn't need them)

View of the 3rd stud (picks up the lower rubber bumper hole)

Proof that I actually did the install and didn't pay someone to do it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Installation complete! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Old 4/15/06, 06:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awsome, Bill! Can you take some pictures of the entire side of the car? Front angle view, side view, and rear angle view? You may have me convinced to get the black version!
Old 4/16/06, 12:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 15, 2006, 5:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can you take some pictures of the entire side of the car?
[/b][/quote]
How's this?

I started to install the Autovation pedals this afternoon. Ran out of time (had to go to a UFC party [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/box2.gif[/img] ), still have to install the dead pedal and heel guard. My Ford Racing mats are supposed to be coming in Monday, so the heel guard will have to wait til then. I'll post pics later.
Old 4/16/06, 12:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 16, 2006, 1:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I started to install the Autovation pedals this afternoon. Ran out of time (had to go to a UFC party [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/box2.gif[/img] ), still have to install the dead pedal and heel guard. My Ford Racing mats are supposed to be coming in Monday, so the heel guard will have to wait til then. I'll post pics later.
[/b][/quote]
WOW You got your car out of the garage, it's a baby step but your getting there. Tomorrow you can take it to the end of the drive [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Looks good Bill, goes good with those Polished Wheels of yours. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Here is a test to see if this works right.
DRL Install Write-Up
This should get you to a download of the Word file. Let me know
Old 4/16/06, 12:22 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 15, 2006, 11:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
WOW You got your car out of the garage, it's a baby step but your getting there. Tomorrow you can take it to the end of the drive [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Looks good Bill, goes good with those Polished Wheels of yours. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Here is a test to see if this works right.
DRL Install Write-Up
This should get you to a download of the Word file. Let me know
[/b][/quote]
Daryl- Yes, just backed it down the driveway a little as dark clouds loomed overhead. Just incase it started to sprinkle, I'd only be only 10 ft from shelter. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Thanks for the fuel door compliment. It shows up too bright in that side view pic, looks more like the close-up pics in the write-up post.

Nice write-up for the DRL. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] No problem viewing the Word file here.
Old 4/16/06, 06:14 AM
GTR Member

Can't get the write-up here for some reason. I tried IE and Firefox.
Old 4/16/06, 08:24 AM
GTR Member

When I finally decide on rims, what tires should I get?

Kumho ECSTA ASX - An "All Season" tire, but it is still listed in Kumho's "Ultra High Performance" section. Kumho compares them to the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDWS. Might be a quieter tire and might last longer than the Nitto (but see below about treadwear ratings).

- OR -

Nitto 555 - a "Summer" tire, so you don't give up some traction to get the M+S (Mud+Snow) rating. A high performance directional tire... but do I really need it?

In Florida, I don't need an "All Season" tire like the Kumho's because we don't, of course, have snow. But, I'm not racing the car either. Most of my high speed driving is in a straight line, and most of my "cornering" is done around town.

TREADWEAR - I just learned that the Treadwear rating is not set by the government, but by each individual tire manufacturer. So, a Kumho tire with a treadwear rating of 300 will last twice as long as another Kumho tire with a treadwear rating of 150, but has no relation to the Nitto's treadwear ratings. So it's like comparing apples to oranges.

TRACTION - I also just learned this has nothing to do with traction while cornering or accelerating at all. It's a letter grade which represents the tire's ability to stop in a straight line on wet pavement.

Sorry to be so picky about this, but I really want to do the research before making a decision.
Old 4/16/06, 08:25 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 16, 2006, 5:17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can't get the write-up here for some reason. I tried IE and Firefox.
[/b][/quote]
Try right clicking on the link and 'save as'. Save the file to your computer, then open it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 04:13 PM

Couple of goodies that I installed...

UPR billet antenna (delete)

I know when you first see it, it makes no sense. I got it mainly for my carcover (without hassling of removing/installing the antenna) and for a clean 'delete' look. It even picks up several strong radio stations too!
I polished it, then clearcoated it.

Chrome 10mm bolt caps

To cover the unsightly paint chipped hood hinge bolts, I picked up these nifty 6 pack of chrome metal caps for $5 from Autozone.
The hood bolt heads come painted (body color) and got marred up when installing the MRT hood struts.
I think it looks much better now!

Old 4/16/06, 04:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 16, 2006, 5:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The hood bolt heads come painted (body color) and got marred up when installing the MRT hood struts.
I think it looks much better now![/b][/quote]
Much better IMO.

Washed my car again today. Oklahoma dust & wind gets her dirty quick. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi y'all! I'm surfacing for air! We had our 4/15 party Friday night. I worked yesterday, then helped Chris on the house a little. Today is Katie's 14th birthday. I washed the car and then she and I drove around Austin and got a nice sunburn. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] We'll go to Dave & Busters tonight, then next weekend is the real celebration with a trip to Dallas for Supercross and Six Flags. I did take some pics today, including my new shorty antenna, my new mustang cap, and my Eject Button install pics. I'll be back later to share.

I love those little chrome caps, Bill. Congrats on the new baby, Karman. Even if you are sneaky and won't tell us your name. hehe Sorry to be away for so long. I promise to be a better poster.

Hi Tony, Tom and Daryl! Where is Red, and what happened to our female friend with the black V6 vert?
Old 4/16/06, 04:45 PM

Happy Birthday Katie! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cheerleader.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nanadance.gif[/img]

Watch it, Susan! She'll want the keys in a couple years. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eclipsee_steering.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 08:26 PM
GTR Member

Looking forward to the pics, Susan!

Everybody ignoring my tire question POST?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 09:15 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 16, 2006, 7:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Not me!
Since the BFG G-Force isn't available in the size you need, I'd say go for the Kumho (since you said they were almost the same).

I see alot of people running the Nitto's recently (on all kinds of cars), not sure if it's the 'in' thing to run these says or if they have actually proven themselves as a quality tire manufacturer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swwake @ April 16, 2006, 3:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Where is Red, and what happened to our female friend with the black V6 vert?
[/b][/quote]
Red's probably out at sea... girl with the V6 vert.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

They come and go, but we're still here! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 10:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 16, 2006, 9:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Sorry Tom, I don't know enough about them to give a helpful reply.
I have many miles left before I worry about what tires to replace my Pirelli's with [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 10:19 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 16, 2006, 11:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Since the BFG G-Force isn't available in the size you need, I'd say go for the Kumho (since you said they were almost the same).

I see alot of people running the Nitto's recently (on all kinds of cars), not sure if it's the 'in' thing to run these days or if they have actually proven themselves as a quality tire manufacturer.[/b][/quote]
If you click on the Kumho ECSTA ASX link and look at the bottom of the page, your tire is the first listed as "Comparable Competitor Products".

The Nitto may be a more "square" looking tire with more contact patch, but the Kumho isn't a bad looking tire:

[attachmentid=47120]

Here's the BFGoodrich G-Force KDWS:

[attachmentid=47121]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 17, 2006, 12:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I have many miles left before I worry about what tires to replace my Pirelli's with [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img][/b][/quote]That's what I thought, too... but my current tires just won't fit on 18" rims.
Old 4/16/06, 10:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 16, 2006, 9:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Just get these tires [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 4/16/06, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Eject Button Install - before and after...

Install write-up coming tomorrow!!!
Old 4/16/06, 11:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swwake @ April 16, 2006, 9:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Cute picture! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Katie looks pretty cool sporting your Mustang cap! (you should've gotten 2)

Looking forward to the power plug write up... need to make sure I installed mine corretly. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)