1971-1973 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Need help with decoding my 1971 Mustang 351c2V engine

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/15, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with decoding my 1971 Mustang 351c2V engine

hello I'm the owner of a 1971 mustang. I need help with decoding it and to see if not having the original engine in it makes it worth less or maybe more. I just found out that the complete engine isn't original from the vin on the dash it is a 351c2v well expose to be. it is I fact a 351c 4 valve heads and barrel. I just found the code I been looking for years. the ford block has a cast code of D2AE-ca and another cast number of 2k12 right under it. which I know is the date of casting. the date code also has a large bump before the 2k and would like to know what it is.if someone could help me I would really really appreciate it. i figured out that the engine is obviously isn't original because of the 4 barrel intake and 4v heads I'm really also curious if this takes away the value from the car being it isn't original. any help would really appreciate it. also

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/9/23 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 4/18/15, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
So you have a 351 4 valve engine in your car right now? Please post a few pictures of your ride.
Old 4/18/15, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
So you have a 351 4 valve engine in your car right now? Please post a few pictures of your ride.
do you want just pictures of the actual car or do you want pictures of the engine and all that good stuff? yea from what I read on castingnumbers.com it is but from 1972 not 1971
thanks for replying

Last edited by mustangtroy; 4/18/15 at 09:56 PM.
Old 4/19/15, 07:37 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Original cars are always best to many 'collectors'. With Fords they usually have to be backed up with a Marti report. In your case it might be worth getting one of those Marti reports to see what the car was truly equipped with when it left the factory. They cost $50. I just bought 3 of them for my elderly neighbor last month. He has quite a collection of Fords. Once you can honestly verify what you have in your Mustang you can make intelligent decisions on how to proceed with your car. If the rest of the car has been modified (wheels, paint color, suspension, interior, etc...) or changed in too many ways it almost doesn't matter about the engine at that point. If the car is still basically stock, then yes, it can matter.
Also, an intake manifold and 4 bbl carb doesn't mean the engine isn't the original engine. Many owners have modified 2 bbl to 4 bbl and it doesn't hurt the value very much. I have the same situation with my '74 AMC. It is the original 360 engine but upgraded with both an Edelbrock manifold and 4 bbl carb. I doubt I would get less $$$ at selling time. The rest of the car is stock as it came from the factory. That's what's key. If I threw in a different engine, lots of interest would be lost to 'collectors'.
Old 4/19/15, 09:39 AM

well the block its self matches the vin as it is a 351c. But the block date code says from 1972 November 12th which is the cast date so I do know it isn't an original engine everything else is stock when I bought the car the guy told me it was the original engine this was some years ago though so I know I was lied to and suckered. I don't want to make it green as vin states the color. but from what I can tell everything else looks stock I'm kinda just "heart broken" finding out the engine is not actually stock. so the car will prolly go to craigslist and I now know what to look for when buying an older mustang.

Last edited by mustangtroy; 4/19/15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 4/19/15, 03:10 PM

I understand. That's unfortunate that the seller lied (or possibly didn't have the info himself) but with the color being different it already hurts collectibility a bit anyway. Having a similar 351 engine that is 'period correct' also helps, vs a totally different engine, so don't feel too bad. I still would like to know about the condition of your Mustang. Is it a show car now or one you were thinking about restoring? Value may not play a big role now if it's a sub $10k car. You may not get hurt by selling it. What do you want to own after selling this one?
Just for your own info for the future, again I'll refer to my neighbor who has a '67 Cougar XR7-GT that came originally with a 390. The engine is not original but is a 390 from that era. While it hurts a bit, not too much as the rest of the car is factory correct and a solid #2 show car with very few in existence.
Old 4/19/15, 10:16 PM

to me it's work about 4500$-4000 the body is straight does need a little tic ding here and there it has only surface rust floor pans are all good nothing rotten through being in the dry climate in SoCal where I'm located helps. I want to restore it and pass it on to my kids to drive to school but the oldest is only two so I have plenty of time lol I tried to post pics but I only have my iPhone. every time I try it exits out of safari. the trains is original with a new torque converter it has a teams kit from previous owner and some other little stuff to the tranny about 750$ worth of work on it alone. the interior is there but kinda toast needs carpet dash pad,seats, completely new cause I got pillows to hold me up lol it is my daily driver to work and back amongst other things and has been good to me for over two years of course being old its sagging in the back assuming the leaf springs but I'm no car expert.
it needs carpet,paint fix dash speedo, clock everything but the gas gage thank god lol. new tank or clean the stock one cause of ALOT of crap in it black specs. if that makes any sense have 3 fuel filters on the gas line to make sure my carb doesn't plug up being I bought it brand new 3 years ago and spent about 300 on it. I'm not rich to be up front about it. so I can't just dump Aton of money into the cat just little by little like right now replacing the headman headers that are cracked at the bolt flange to the exhaust ports. that's when I found out my heads are t 2v intact are 4v heads from a 72 car idk which model of ford truck or something else hoping it's a mustang then I can feel better about it. uh brakes need all redone lines are crack I'm pretty sure there original. the car does run good and I have no major problems except rebuilding the heads when I first got the car about 5 years ago. I'm sorry I know this is a lot. and thanks for your help nc0 anything else you need I will provide as I'm trying to learn as much as possible. thanks again and if I sold this one I would want a 70-71 Mach 1 with a351c but I know that's out of my dreams being that everyone wants Mach 1 I seen one for 6500 but the whole front end is smashed in and a decent size ding on the back and not running. I think that slow decking back to the truck is so sexy. it would have to be an older on for sure. I had a 96 mustang sold that to buy the 71 I own now

Last edited by mustangtroy; 4/19/15 at 10:26 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 07:03 AM

Hey, glad to help out. I've been in the old car hobby since the 80's and having a neighbor with a dozen 'collectors' just enhances my own knowledge. I'm sure others will chime in now that the moderators changed the location of the thread.
I see the 'big picture' now so my advice is going to be a little different. You MUST start with a car that you truly love since your plan is to pass it down one day. You have to love a car to keep it that long and I doubt this current Mustang is going to be it. Having negative vibes about the engine already will just increase in the future, along with all the other problems the car has. With $$$ being the main obstacle to getting what you want (an original Mach 1 w/ 351) I would suggest saving more if humanly possible. It's tough with a young child plus you would need a real supportive wife. Only you know if that is possible or realistic. If it isn't at the moment, I would still sell this car and get another that is a better project for yourself. An 'original' car almost seems out of the question financially. How about a 'clone' ?? Almost every Camaro or Chevelle out there is a cloned SS and no one thinks twice about it. The reason I ask is I saw this car in your general area that may be a better candidate for a project. It may be bit too high but I bet $8,000 would have it in your driveway. I would offer even less and negotiate if possible. Of course you would have to check it out thoroughly to see if it is as advertised but at least it isn't a CL car where ripoffs are almost expected. This seller paid about $50 for the ad. I know because I just listed one for someone else. The funny thing is it was a 72 Mustang with a 351, BUT it's a $15k+ car. Here is the car I saw. You may not like it but no harm in sharing. Best of luck with everything!
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=775088