General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang's and Car seats

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/14, 04:58 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang's and Car seats

So I will be the proud owner of a 2015 Mustang and I have 2 grandchildren (Coolest Grandpa EVER!) do any of you put car seats in your Pony and what do you do to protect the leather from not only the car seat but the plethora of food and beverage that will make it's way to the seats.
Old 9/22/14, 05:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had one in my car for almost 3 years now (Infant and Toddler). Leather holds up pretty good and I usually take the seat out once every couple of months to get a nice cleaning underneath...
Old 9/22/14, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rule #1 - no food or drink allowed in the car. Also, if you have your own car seats and adhere to rule #1, then you don't need to worry about food in the seats...
Old 9/22/14, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sid719e
Rule #1 - no food or drink allowed in the car. Also, if you have your own car seats and adhere to rule #1, then you don't need to worry about food in the seats...
I would agree with you except these are my granddaughters we are talking about and they get special privileges that no one else gets ;-)
Old 9/22/14, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Moffat
I would agree with you except these are my granddaughters we are talking about and they get special privileges that no one else gets ;-)
I have used the Recaro and Chicco seats in my car. They both suck to maneuver, but I put a towel under the base before strapping it down. I typically just use the seatbelt versus the LATCH system, since the seatbelt is a lot easier to use. This weekend I'm going to try our Chicco without the base...the seat itself can be strapped down without the base and I think the contours of the seat will fit better in the deep bucket of the Mustang rear seat. The base doesn't fit well because it is flat. I need to roll a couple towels up and place them in the deep well of the Mustang seat so the base lays flat.
Old 9/22/14, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I have used the Recaro and Chicco seats in my car. They both suck to maneuver, but I put a towel under the base before strapping it down. I typically just use the seatbelt versus the LATCH system, since the seatbelt is a lot easier to use. This weekend I'm going to try our Chicco without the base...the seat itself can be strapped down without the base and I think the contours of the seat will fit better in the deep bucket of the Mustang rear seat. The base doesn't fit well because it is flat. I need to roll a couple towels up and place them in the deep well of the Mustang seat so the base lays flat.
That's pretty much what I was thinking would work but still needed to ask someone with experience. I don't have Recaro's since I opted for the 50 Years package. I use both the latch and the seatbelt since they are both easy in my Fusion.
Old 9/22/14, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's pretty much what I was thinking would work but still needed to ask someone with experience. I don't have Recaro's since I opted for the 50 Years package. I use both the latch and the seatbelt since they are both easy in my Fusion.
Oh I have the Recaros in my car...and we have the Recaro baby seat. Two of them actually lol
Old 9/22/14, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
You can even get matching Mustang Towels. Good Luck!!
Old 9/22/14, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
You can even get matching Mustang Towels. Good Luck!!
Ooooohh Oooooohh!!!!! Maybe I can get some pony blankets!!!! Or is that too much?
Old 9/22/14, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Matching Recaros trimmed in the same leather as your seats and the mustang Tri bars would be awesome!!
Old 9/22/14, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's sweet. I'm not a grandparent yet, but when I am, I'm sure the "rules" will change. When mine were little, I always just put towels under the car seats. No problems that way.
Old 9/22/14, 04:59 PM

My Mustang is not my main car. I just put a booster seat in there connected via the latches. Its nice cause you just lift the front up and vacumme under the seat.
Leather takes a beating from spills and cleans up fast. I have tan leather in my DD and even lollypop goup cleaned right off with a little effort.
Cloth I would use a towel. Boosters are safe as they use the cars seat belts to restrain the child. Just make sure the kids are tall enough for the booster.
Old 9/22/14, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by midlife-stanger
My Mustang is not my main car. I just put a booster seat in there connected via the latches. Its nice cause you just lift the front up and vacumme under the seat.
Leather takes a beating from spills and cleans up fast. I have tan leather in my DD and even lollypop goup cleaned right off with a little effort.
Cloth I would use a towel. Boosters are safe as they use the cars seat belts to restrain the child. Just make sure the kids are tall enough for the booster.
I am using the bathroom memory foam mats under the seats. No pressure marks, leather stays clean etc. perfect.. Costco sells them for like $19... Towels still leave pressure marks on the leather. The seat protector specifically for car seats will stain your leather.
Memory foam mats is the way to go,

LEXiiON
Old 9/22/14, 08:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I use a towel but someone told me about a special seat mat just for that. The name escapes me but it's on amazon.com
Old 9/26/14, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would put a towl under the seat. I have a two year old grandson, he hasn't been in the Mistress yet, but he calls it "go fast car!"

The worst part is getting the seats in.. it bad enough you have to be a contorsionist to get into the backseat just to clean the rear window, setting up and anchoring the seat is something I am not looking forward to!