Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Ford Mustang Chat > General Mustang Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Mustang Chat Not Tech or Model Year Specific

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 9/12/11, 1:02 PM   #1
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
MAINTAINING CHROME WHEELS

Just curious what is the best to use on Chrome (steel) Wheels to keep them looking showroom Clean??
sturgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 3:28 PM   #2
Cobra Member

Charles

2013 GT500, 2011 Grabber Blue Roush Stage 2, 2006 GT Torch Red
Never drive on a gravel road. It's bad to drive with them on during the winter, if you live where they put down salt. If they get dirty, especially with salt, clean them ASAP. When you clean them dry them off. Use a chrome polish to keep them shining.
-2013 Shelby GT500- 702/683 RWHP/TQ, Race Red with Black Stripes, Performance Package, Track Pack, SCT with Lund Tune, Lethal O/R X-pipe, JLT CAI, Ford Racing SCJ Throttle Body, FRPP 3.73s, BMR Adjustable Panhard, BMR Adjustable LCAs with Relocation Brackets, Redline Hood Struts, Roush Side Splitters, JLT CC, 11" Wide Rear Wheels With NT05R 315/35-20s, Spec ST-Trim clutch.
-2013 Roush Stage 3- 6MT, 3.73s, (Upgrades from Stage 3-Performance Brakes, Vent Boost Gauge, Interior Package, 20" Wheels, Hood Struts, Coil Covers, Window Louvers, Door Sills, Shifter Ball, Billet Pedals) Lethal O/R X-Pipe, Remote tuned by Jon Lund.
-2006 Mustang GT, Torch Red- 3.55 gears 5MT, C&L CAI, SLP Powerflo X-Pipe, SLP Powerflo Axle-Backs, MGW STS, FRPP Springs.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 4:31 PM   #3
V6 Member

Wrap them in plastic and leave them in the garage.

No, seriously, as noted...avoid anything but pavement (and actually...that's iffy in some places) and use a good polish. I actually just pulled my Mach rims off Saturday night and gave them their annual inside and out 100% polish....amazing what a difference it makes. You think they are shiny until you do that and then its WHOA.
ucdavis4.0gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 5:03 PM   #4
Shelby GT350 Member

John

2011 Roush Sport
Garage
Mothers has a good polish I used years back when I had chrome wheels.
Hytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 5:13 PM   #5
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Was curious on name brands , And also if anyone uses a spay on and wipe off wax for wheels that doesn't leave a white residue? And works good Or if using mothers/another type of wax similar is the best option? Rims are brand new and i'm wanting to keep for a long time (Foose Nitrous are the wheels and they have those rivets around the edge that will be hard to keep clean)
Old 9/12/11, 5:21 PM   #6
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Correction: Triple Chrome Plated. This wheel is plated in a three step process that includes copper, nickel, and then chrome for a bright show winning shine. Lighter than other chrome wheels which are steel underneath, these wheels are cast from lightweight aluminum so they won't slow you down.
Old 9/12/11, 5:27 PM   #7
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
I have used Mothers chrome wax before, But was wondering if there are any Meguires products anyone has used they recommend or any other waxes or spray waxes out there that are comparable
Old 9/12/11, 5:32 PM   #8
I Have No Life

Glenn

06 LL GT
I use the megs quick detailer and like the way it works. That is what I use most of the time. I also have used megs gold class wax from time to time with good results. I am glad you started this thread as I would like to know what other people use also.
Hers 2010 lexus IS250 mine 06 legend lime GT, Shaftmasters alum drive shaft, under drive pulley's, Steeda sport springs, Koni strt S/S, JLT cai w/bama tunes, Hankook V12's 255/35 275/35/20" pinnacale wheels, BBK headers W/high flow BBK catted X-pipe, Pype's Violator Axle-Back. 3k oil change tires
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 5:36 PM   #9
Shelby GT350 Member

John

2011 Roush Sport
Garage
I've been using the Meguires and Black Fire wheel cleaners lately on the RTR'S that just spray on and hose off. I like both equally, but wouldn't buy the BF again because it's expensive. Not sure if they work on chrome, I'll check when I get home and get back to you.
Old 9/12/11, 5:45 PM   #10
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
I figure i will have to wax by hand a couple times a year and then was hoping i could find a spray wax that i could use in between hand waxing thru the summer while washing the car/rims
Old 9/12/11, 5:47 PM   #11
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Glenn, The meguires quick detailer..... is that for chrome rims?
Old 9/12/11, 5:49 PM   #12
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Hytek, That's what i was wanting but curious if that is for Chrome wheels also. So yea if you could check i would be grateful
Old 9/12/11, 5:53 PM   #13
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
ucdavis4.0gpa, Do you use a paste wax or a spray? If so what type do you use? I will only have my car out on nice days/weekends etc... No gravel roads here! lol, Atleast not in the stang anyways, then prob. store them in bags thru the winter also
Old 9/12/11, 6:43 PM   #14
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Keep them clean. That's it. Chrome itself is very hardy, but doesn't respond to the things mentioned above well. Rocks, salt, bashings.

Simply don't mess them up, keep them clean, and they'll be just fine. You can chrome polish them a little, but you can go too far with chrome, it's just a very few micrometers deep, even triple plated. And chrome is best when it doesn't have any film to mar it's beauty. Waxes and such do this. Chrome is MADE to be uncovered... that's why it's chrome.
Mods so far: GT/CS Bumper, Satin Black lower trim all 'round, Custom Blackened Dash Panels, 2010 GT500 Vert Wheels, GTA Axle-backs.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...&highlight=wai
---
Ride, the Copper and Gold PC800 of Win: http://i.imgur.com/eiECkMg.jpg
---
In memory of my dearly missed Muskrat (RIP)
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 7:04 PM   #15
Bullitt Member

I had chrome Bullitts on my last car- LOVED them. They are not hard to keep clean, the trick is to do it regularly. You dont need to use harsh polishes- I just sprayed them down with wheel cleaner and rinsed them off then gave a good buff at least once a week. Kept them shiny as could be.
Legend Lime Registry LLR0718 Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner (Bama 93 race tune), CDC Chin Spoiler, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Stack Racing Pedals, Black Lemans Stripes & Bumper Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto555s staggered setup ((9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Pioneer touchscreen head unit and Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate, trunk and dome lighting
RVAStangGT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 7:39 PM   #16
Cobra Member

Charles

2013 GT500, 2011 Grabber Blue Roush Stage 2, 2006 GT Torch Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
Glenn, The meguires quick detailer..... is that for chrome rims?
The Meguires quick detailer is for quick cleaning in between waxing. Basically you use it for stuff like bird bombs or something to maintain your wax and paint in between waxing. I use it and the NXT stuff, both work great. Good to keep it in your car with a rag for emergencies.
-2013 Shelby GT500- 702/683 RWHP/TQ, Race Red with Black Stripes, Performance Package, Track Pack, SCT with Lund Tune, Lethal O/R X-pipe, JLT CAI, Ford Racing SCJ Throttle Body, FRPP 3.73s, BMR Adjustable Panhard, BMR Adjustable LCAs with Relocation Brackets, Redline Hood Struts, Roush Side Splitters, JLT CC, 11" Wide Rear Wheels With NT05R 315/35-20s, Spec ST-Trim clutch.
-2013 Roush Stage 3- 6MT, 3.73s, (Upgrades from Stage 3-Performance Brakes, Vent Boost Gauge, Interior Package, 20" Wheels, Hood Struts, Coil Covers, Window Louvers, Door Sills, Shifter Ball, Billet Pedals) Lethal O/R X-Pipe, Remote tuned by Jon Lund.
-2006 Mustang GT, Torch Red- 3.55 gears 5MT, C&L CAI, SLP Powerflo X-Pipe, SLP Powerflo Axle-Backs, MGW STS, FRPP Springs.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/12/11, 9:39 PM   #17
Shelby GT350 Member

John

2011 Roush Sport
Garage
Here they are. They say safe for all wheel types. The meguires runs like $6 a bottle and the BF is $20. Like I said before, that stuff is great, but I'm not paying $20 for it again...still can't figure out why I did in the first place lol.
Attached Thumbnails
MAINTAINING CHROME WHEELS-forumrunner_20110912_223648.jpg  
Old 9/13/11, 5:20 AM   #18
I Have No Life

Glenn

06 LL GT
Megs quick detail, I don't know if its for chrome but it does do a very nice job. I used that megs hot rims stuff once. Thats it no more didn't like it. I can send you the unused portion if you like. lol It left a residue on my rims that wasn't any fun to get off.
Hers 2010 lexus IS250 mine 06 legend lime GT, Shaftmasters alum drive shaft, under drive pulley's, Steeda sport springs, Koni strt S/S, JLT cai w/bama tunes, Hankook V12's 255/35 275/35/20" pinnacale wheels, BBK headers W/high flow BBK catted X-pipe, Pype's Violator Axle-Back. 3k oil change tires
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/14/11, 9:29 PM   #19
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Sorry i been checking out some products from Meguiars, Still unsure as to what i will be using? But i called them and talked with Nick and he suggested "Ultimate Quick Wax" A spray on wax and to remove it with a microfiber towel, It won't leave a white residue either! So thats important to me cuz the rims have the rivets on them and i can just spray them and coat that area good and if i miss some wax it wont show to bad! Thanks for the replies and im still interested in what everyone uses, so keep em coming please!!
Old 9/14/11, 9:35 PM   #20
GT Member

joe

2006 Mustang GT
Thanks, RVAStangGT05 , houtex , Planeswalker , Hytek , And also Glenn thank you for the offer but it would prob. cost just as much to have it sent as it would to buy in here?? (just guessing?) But thank you for the offer, Very nice of you!
Old 9/14/11, 9:35 PM