General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Do average Joes on the road wanna "drag" u??!!??

Old 9/2/14, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Do average Joes on the road wanna "drag" u??!!??

Okay, I just wanna reach out and see what the temperature is here, or if it's just me or just where I live or WHAT?!

I'm a new Mustang owner -- nothing big. A 2013 V6 that I have performance enhanced with the usual "easy mods" -- new CAI, front strut bar (under hood), a performance tune, etc. It's not a rocket, but I'm pretty much "boss" of 90% of the cars on the road. If I run up against a GT or some of the better Chargers, Challengers an Infiniti X37 coupe or something... I "get it." I'm pretty evenly or overly matched, but for the most part, I can have my way if I want to.

The deal is, I'm pretty chill in the car. Again, if I need to "out maneuver" someone, I can and sometimes I do. Especially people who like to hang out in the passing lane.

Here's the deal... Most of the time -- really all of the time -- I'm minding my own business. But I find, astonishingly a number of "average Joe's" on the road wanna "drag race" me or otherwise are just generally "upset" with me seemingly for no reason or if I'm passing moderately. I don't get it?

The other day I was coming back from Labor Day vacation, and I was just passing someone normally and I just want to get out of the passing lane and find a nice spot on the road and cruise control it. So this little peon green Fiat or something, this dude speeds up and won't let me get over. For no reason??!! I get this kind of thing WAY more often than I care for. (And in some ways I find it's not related to the Mustang -- a lot of people for whatever reason seem to want to "prove a point." They feel they can drive 30 mph in the passing lane, then when they get that you're upset with them, suddenly they want to drag race you??!!)

So I put the foot down a teenie bit on Mr. Bright Green peon car, get ahead and yank it over to prove my point. I didn't cut him off, but I made my point. So then he decides he wants to drag race me??!! What's he got, a little 3 cylinder in there or something, I'm guessing?!!

Okay, so now I'm torqued. Usually if I put my foot down and blow someone away, they leave me alone, so in about 4-5 seconds, I'm doing 120+ and he's disappearing. He pulls over into the slow lane and I think "Okay, he's 'got the picture' here, finally."

Most of the time, if I'm ever pushed that far, that's the end of it. But this guy has to "prove something" so after I pull over and slow down to something legal, he does like 90mph to catch up with me...

What the heck??!! The other day I had a guy in a Toyota mini-van just beating the band, driving like a maniac to catch up with me, switching lanes, driving wrecklessly...

I don't get it??!!! Anyone else have these kinds of issues?! These are cars that I can blow away in no time. I've usually got a gear or two gears above left after I've already blown them away and I'm doing 100+ easily.

I just want people to mind their business and let me drive. Like I said, most of the time, I'm chill until someone like this tweaks me. Then it sets me off.

Thoughts? Experiences? It reminds me of these IDIOTS who think they can pick fights with NFL, MLB or NBA players and WIN. What the heck??!! Are people really this stupid?!

Again, just looking to see what other 'Stang owners are seeing out there?! I've read this over about 10x and I know it "sounds" like I'm some ignoramus on the road, but seriously this stuff happens at least once a week or once every two weeks out of nowhere. I'm minding my business, driving normally and someone decides they want to mess with me or take me on, prove a "point" or whatever.
Old 9/2/14, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe they are rushing to get you plate number to complain.....

That is just normal driving....no matter what you drive. I can get that same results driving the 2000 Focus or my F150 Supercharged Lightning. Everybody wants to be in front....even you sometimes it seems......sit back and drive a couple mph under the posted and watch how everyone else is acting, it is amazing to watch. Another thing, watching someone blast to triple digits and then slow down and they get upset on the road because they cannot pass a slightly slower vehicle is entertaining to some. Relax and enjoy your ride.
Old 9/2/14, 04:29 PM

Love the tag line. :-)
Old 9/2/14, 06:35 PM
Banned

So, first I'd love to know how you were doing 120+ in a car that is governed at 115? Did you disable the governor with your tune? If so, I seriously hope you put a better drive shaft in the car because I think most of us have seen the video of what happens to the V6 when you disable the speed governor but don't replace the drive shaft.

As for the rest of your post I would just say that yes there are asshats everywhere. When I had my 2006 GT I was out one night just on my way to the local gas station to get something to drink. It was about 1 or 2 am and I'm stopped at a light. Some jackweed in a Firebird pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine at me. I looked over and he obviously wants to race and he has girlfriend in the car with him. I said "Seriously dude?" He indicated that yes he really wanted to race so I said "You are willing to put your girlfriends life at stake for a stupid street race and not to mention that a couple hundred yards down the road is the police precinct where cops hang out all the time. You're a real dumb ***." We didn't race.

But in answer to your query, yes there are a lot of people on the roads who do stupid crap in their cars. Some of them are just doing it because that's the way they drive all the time. No doubt that some of them do it because they see some guy in a Mustang and they feel like they have something to prove I guess. I have owned 17 cars of various different types over the years and I can tell you from experience that you are not imagining things. I have more people doing stupid **** in traffic when I am driving the Mustang than any other sort of car that I have driven. I can't tell you what the rationale is but it happens. It could be anything from simple jealousy that you get to drive a sports coupe while they are forced to drive around in a minivan or some ho-hum midsize sedan because they are playing the whole "married with children" game or could be that they feel like they have to prove something to you because everyone knows that us Mustang drivers are all a bunch of asshats that need to be taught a lesson. lol

PS, yes that last sentence was a big old run on sentence.

Last edited by White2010; 9/2/14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 9/2/14, 07:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
The only people who have really antagonized me are the corvettes. They seem to like to pass me at insane speeds on corners. I Never take the bait. I do get a fair number of people on the quiet country roads pull over to let me go by when i come up behind them (never tail gate). Must be the stripes or whatever. On the main freeways we have a ton of asshats who still don't get it "keep right except to pass". I prefer to be seen as taking the 'high road' lol

doesn't this face radiate "hey there, would you kindly move over? I'd really like to pass you politely and be on my way"

Name:  24088629-f815-4646-90ef-4656f5b74986_zps58e91bd1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  96.9 KB

Last edited by DarrenGT; 9/2/14 at 08:04 PM.
Old 9/2/14, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I must look old. Nobody wants to race. Maybe the 300 HP's not worth the time.
Old 9/2/14, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by White2010
So, first I'd love to know how you were doing 120+ in a car that is governed at 115? Did you disable the governor with your tune? If so, I seriously hope you put a better drive shaft in the car because I think most of us have seen the video of what happens to the V6 when you disable the speed governor but don't replace the drive shaft. As for the rest of your post I would just say that yes there are asshats everywhere. When I had my 2006 GT I was out one night just on my way to the local gas station to get something to drink. It was about 1 or 2 am and I'm stopped at a light. Some jackweed in a Firebird pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine at me. I looked over and he obviously wants to race and he has girlfriend in the car with him. I said "Seriously dude?" He indicated that yes he really wanted to race so I said "You are willing to put your girlfriends life at stake for a stupid street race and not to mention that a couple hundred yards down the road is the police precinct where cops hang out all the time. You're a real dumb ***." We didn't race. But in answer to your query, yes there are a lot of people on the roads who do stupid crap in their cars. Some of them are just doing it because that's the way they drive all the time. No doubt that some of them do it because they see some guy in a Mustang and they feel like they have something to prove I guess. I have owned 17 cars of various different types over the years and I can tell you from experience that you are not imagining things. I have more people doing stupid **** in traffic when I am driving the Mustang than any other sort of car that I have driven. I can't tell you what the rationale is but it happens. It could be anything from simple jealousy that you get to drive a sports coupe while they are forced to drive around in a minivan or some ho-hum midsize sedan because they are playing the whole "married with children" game or could be that they feel like they have to prove something to you because everyone knows that us Mustang drivers are all a bunch of asshats that need to be taught a lesson. lol PS, yes that last sentence was a big old run on sentence.
I believe your thinking of the sn95s 115 mph governor, I thought the newer ones are governed at a higher speed. I may be wrong.

Last edited by Supersnake04; 9/2/14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 9/2/14, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
I believe your thinking of the sn95s 115 mph governor, I thought the newer ones are governed at a higher speed. I may be wrong.
The current V6s are govern'd at 112mph.
Old 9/2/14, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KushBandit
The current V6s are govern'd at 112mph.
oh, ok. why make them slower?
Old 9/2/14, 08:24 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i'm wondering if OP is in Canada maybe?
Old 9/2/14, 08:52 PM
Banned

The car is capable of a much higher top speed but in order to get that 31mpg highway rating Ford put a light weight drive shaft in the car. That required a top speed of 112 to prevent the drive shaft from destroying itself. If you disable the speed governor and push the car much above 120 what you get is a shattered drive shaft. There are aftermarket drive shafts to replace the stock variant that will enable you to hit a much higher top speed but of course you sacrifice some mpg.
Old 9/2/14, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running 100-120(?) on the roads just to "prove your point"? You're right, OP. You do come off like an ignoramus. Your misplaced sense of machismo may wind up getting you killed; hopefully you won't take any innocent drivers/pedestrians with you.

Welcome to TMS. This is not a pro-street racing forum, even under the guise of defending one's honor.
Old 9/2/14, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

The factory driveshaft is too weak, and risks failure above 112mph.

Edit: Just watched a few YouTube videos with V6 driveshaft failures. It look like they risk failure at about 120-130mph.

Last edited by KushBandit; 9/3/14 at 01:50 AM.
Old 9/3/14, 12:12 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the Fiat driver was trying to frustrate you, get you mad and cause you to do something to display your anger with your right foot. He succeeded. You rose to his bait.

This will happen no matter what you drive. I have a Freestar Van and it has happened more than once.
Old 9/3/14, 01:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
He succeeded. You rose to his bait.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I've had minivans and "Econoboxes" try and antagonize me, but I never take the bait. Why waste my fuel?

I get guys wanting to race my 5.0 everyday. There are so many ricers here in SoCal, it's pathetic. They're at every street light, and always looking to race me when I pull up. I just cruise.

Children street race. You'll find the men and real races at the tracks.
Old 9/3/14, 06:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
doesn't this face radiate "hey there, would you kindly move over? I'd really like to pass you politely and be on my way"

No, Darren. That face looks like the spawn of Satan. It's evil incarnate wearing a blue suit. It's screaming lock your doors and hide your daughters. It says move the eff over before I do it for you. Polite is for a Prius.
Old 9/3/14, 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Tires, people...Tires. They have speed ratings. And if they're cheap (as is common on all non-performance vehicles) they're likely only rated to 118 mph.

There's only one correct way to drive...and every person is convinced their way is it. Everyone else is an idiot.

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 9/3/14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 9/3/14, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just twice...when I first got my Mustang 8 years ago.. some asshat kid in a riced up Civic pulled along side me at an intersection, motioned for me to roll down my window. He said Yo, wanna run it? I laughed; he responded by revving his motor. The light turned green, I nailed the throttle and left him far behind.

The second time, another kid in a GTO did the same thing. I asked him if his Daddy knew he was racing in his car. He was so intent on getting me to run against him, he didn't notice the cop behind him. The light turned green, he mashed the accelerator... then got pulled over.
Old 9/3/14, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have completely different reaction on road from avg joes.. may be my car looks to many as gt500... so i see lot of ricers and trucks speed up/race till they see me and then slow down go smooth on me. many smile or wave... some just look the other way and just roll on. one thing i have often notice is when i drive my truck or audi every one wants to cut in and do maneuvers in front of me, but stang no one wants to play. i feel like a Sheriff sometimes.
Old 9/3/14, 02:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
i have completely different reaction on road from avg joes.. may be my car looks to many as gt500... so i see lot of ricers and trucks speed up/race till they see me and then slow down go smooth on me. many smile or wave... some just look the other way and just roll on. one thing i have often notice is when i drive my truck or audi every one wants to cut in and do maneuvers in front of me, but stang no one wants to play. i feel like a Sheriff sometimes.
In my Shelby cars will hang back behind me hoping I don't see them. I'll see them slow down and hang back. Especially SS Camaros. Nothing ever wants to play with me in my GT500. But in my 07 GT everything including Chevy Silverados want to play. It gets so old.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do average Joes on the road wanna "drag" u??!!??