General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Apple CarPlay and Ford Snyc 3

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/15, 01:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apple CarPlay and Ford Snyc 3

Has anyone heard about compatibility of the Sync3 system and Apple CarPlay. I know it is not there now but should be technically possible with a software update from Ford since the switched to a Blackberry based OS on the Synch 3. I would love to be able to throw my iPhone screen up on the dash and use my Maps program along with all the audio/music programs.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Old 2/21/15, 05:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I wish they'd update the version in my 2013 to work with it.
Old 2/21/15, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally played w/ SYNC and my Android phone the other day in my 2015, for about 15 min or so.
Not what I was expecting.
I guess I was thinking it would have more functionality and be easier. To use the few limited features I had, things just felt very "clunky".
I'll try to force myself to play more with it, but for now I have way lower expectations.
Old 3/1/15, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 3/1/15 at 10:01 PM.
Old 3/2/15, 06:51 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I noticed SYNC is keyword driven and doesn't work as well as Google or Siri.
Old 3/2/15, 07:04 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Originally Posted by hschade
I finally played w/ SYNC and my Android phone the other day in my 2015, for about 15 min or so.
Not what I was expecting.
I guess I was thinking it would have more functionality and be easier. To use the few limited features I had, things just felt very "clunky".
I'll try to force myself to play more with it, but for now I have way lower expectations.
Hey hschade,

Are you having trouble with any specific SYNC feature? If so, provide some details about what's happening and let me know which phone is being connected.

Kim
Old 3/2/15, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey hschade,

Are you having trouble with any specific SYNC feature? If so, provide some details about what's happening and let me know which phone is being connected.

Kim
No not really Kim, but thanks for asking. My disappointment is w/ the "advanced" features I was hoping would be present. The following is the biggest one.

I did NOT get the navigation in my car as my android phone has a real nice navigation app. But I was hoping I would be able to listen to the radio or my iPod and have my phone provide commands over the speakers w/ the music. No it does not. I have to switch to Bluetooth audio to hear the phone commands, and then there is no music.

I have played with the SYNC directions feature. And if I did not have navigation in my phone this would be an acceptable option, even though it felt "clunky" to me (mainly when I deviated from the original route).

I'm still in love with my car, I just still have to use my phone like I did in the past when I use the navigation app.

Other than that, all the basic SYNC feature work well and are fairly intuitive. I just found the "auto" temp setting this last weekend.

Last edited by hschade; 3/2/15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 3/3/15, 07:21 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

The audio system can only use one input at a time for the speakers. If you were listening to music off your phone via Bluetooth or USB, you would hear the directions over the radio speakers.

I do this with the Trapster app on my phone while listening to music from my iPhone. If I switch to sat radio, I no longer hear the trapster alerts because the audio system is using a different input.

I have the nav system, so I no longer use the phone for that.
Old 3/3/15, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The audio system can only use one input at a time for the speakers. If you were listening to music off your phone via Bluetooth or USB, you would hear the directions over the radio speakers.

I do this with the Trapster app on my phone while listening to music from my iPhone. If I switch to sat radio, I no longer hear the trapster alerts because the audio system is using a different input.

I have the nav system, so I no longer use the phone for that.
And the YouTube videos I found show that too.
If I were to use my phone for music then I'm sure it would work together.
But w/ one of the bigger iPods, 250GB of storage, my phone can't even come close to the selection. I'm not even sure my phone has any music on it at all.
Old 3/3/15, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Hey hschade,

Kim
Any word on an update that will allow CarPlay?
Old 3/3/15, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hschade
No not really Kim, but thanks for asking. My disappointment is w/ the "advanced" features I was hoping would be present. The following is the biggest one.

I did NOT get the navigation in my car as my android phone has a real nice navigation app. But I was hoping I would be able to listen to the radio or my iPod and have my phone provide commands over the speakers w/ the music. No it does not. I have to switch to Bluetooth audio to hear the phone commands, and then there is no music.

I have played with the SYNC directions feature. And if I did not have navigation in my phone this would be an acceptable option, even though it felt "clunky" to me (mainly when I deviated from the original route).

I'm still in love with my car, I just still have to use my phone like I did in the past when I use the navigation app.

Other than that, all the basic SYNC feature work well and are fairly intuitive. I just found the "auto" temp setting this last weekend.
I appreciate your feedback, hschade. I was going to suggest streaming music from your phone via Bluetooth to allow audio from your phone's navigation app to play, but it looks like SpectreH beat me to it.

From what you've described, the system does sound like it is functioning as intended. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you think of any other questions.

Originally Posted by jonser
Any word on an update that will allow CarPlay?
Hi jonser,

Ford is planning on integrating Apple’s CarPlay in the future, but no specific details have been released yet. I’ll fill you in as more information becomes available.

Kim
Old 5/12/15, 10:06 PM
V6 Member

Hi jonser,

Ford is planning on integrating Apple’s CarPlay in the future, but no specific details have been released yet. I’ll fill you in as more information becomes available.

Kim[/QUOTE]

Will I be able to upgrade my My Ford Touch in my 15 Mustang to Sync 3?
Old 5/13/15, 11:08 AM

Since SYNC 3 is all-new hardware and software, current SYNC systems will not be able to upgrade to it, and we do not plan on offering an aftermarket kit.

Rebecca
Old 5/13/15, 01:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
why cant ford do like tesla. give us some firmware updates to stay current
Old 5/13/15, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

Since SYNC 3 is all-new hardware and software, current SYNC systems will not be able to upgrade to it, and we do not plan on offering an aftermarket kit.

Rebecca
Lame
Old 10/3/15, 05:53 PM

If I buy a 16 now with Sync3, will CarPlay be added by software update?
Old 10/11/15, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texican1911
I don't put too much faith in Ford announcements. I'm still waiting for the AppLink update that was announce in Jan 2014. Promised for cars 2010 and newer, I haven't seen anything yet for my 2012 focus, despite Ford releasing a couple updates.
Old 10/13/15, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Texican1911
Hi Texican1911,

It should be added in the form of a software update; still no specifics just yet, but I will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by skramblr
I don't put too much faith in Ford announcements. I'm still waiting for the AppLink update that was announce in Jan 2014. Promised for cars 2010 and newer, I haven't seen anything yet for my 2012 focus, despite Ford releasing a couple updates.
skramblr,

Which SYNC system do you have: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...c-version.html

Also, is your SYNC software current: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

Whitney
Old 10/23/15, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
skramblr,

Which SYNC system do you have: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...c-version.html

Also, is your SYNC software current: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

Whitney
I have the sync with voice navigation in my 2014 mustang. It is up to date (last update was last March).
Old 10/27/15, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by skramblr
I have the sync with voice navigation in my 2014 mustang. It is up to date (last update was last March).

skramblr,

Shoot me a PM with your VIN and I'll take a closer look.

Whitney

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay and Ford Snyc 3