Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Hello from frozen NY

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/17, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello from frozen NY

Given that it's winter here in NY my the 2012 GT Convertible in red is under a cover with the battery being "tended"... but it's also the season for researching new projects and mods! That's why I'm here.

Already on deck for spring work is a 2.9L front feed Whipple supercharger (it's in boxes in the garage), new oil pump gears (also in the garage) a racing radiator and fan... and several other things.

Discovered this forum when looking at / considering a 2013 gauge replacement on my 2012 for the track pack apps and other cool "modern" goodness.

I'm also over on the svtperformance forum with the same user name.

So - hello!
Old 1/14/17, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Welcome to the site, good luck with your mods.
Whipple upgrades on both cars, you won't be sorry, who will be doing your tuning ?
Old 1/14/17, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Whipple upgrades on both cars, you won't be sorry, who will be doing your tuning ?
Thanks - I CAN'T wait to Whipple it.

I'm starting with the boxed Whipple tune and seeing where it's at. I got the whole setup for a stupid deal - it was "used"... meaning the guy bought it, put it in his garage, never installed it and then had to sell it because of other projects... so its "new" but for a used price. Talked to Mike @ Whipple and they are behind it. It's super cool - everything in the boxes are still in their bags etc...

Your question about tuning is actually how I got "here"... If I go non-Whipple, I think I'll go Lund or AED... So I was looking at nGauges - and that's when I learned about the trackpack and lcd stuff in a 2013/14 gauge cluster... and then discovered the huge thread here to do it... so - I'm "thinking" that might be a cool mod to throw in too - but asked some questions on that sticky because the whole custom tune stuff is unclear in how that works!
Old 1/14/17, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I suspect there won't be much difference between a Whipple, Lund, of AED " canned " tune.
SAI uses a Whipple tune in their SS conversions, they may tweek it a little.
..................A custom tune is pretty straight forward.
The tuner drives the car, data-logs it, makes adjustments to the tune.
May repeat this process several times till he's happy with the results.
Then it goes on a dyno, which may result in minor adjustments.
My tuner used to work for Ford..................as a tuner.
Old 1/14/17, 10:09 AM

I was unclear

I know how a "tune" works and gets built / tweaked... What I mean was - the gauge cluster swap for the 2013 track pack gauges into a 2012 has a part of the process where you use a VCMII to flash the PCM itself to a 2013 firmware...

So what I don't know is how that works exactly with a custom tune for a 2012 on there... be it Whipple from a can or an actual on premise session with someone one...

I "think" it's ok as the PCM firmware at 2013 just changes the bus signaling, but the tune itself is juts configuration of operation... so I "think" it's OK...

but I don't know if it's worth the effort when for a lot less fuss and muss I can just jam an nGauge in the round vent on the left and still sorta have digital gauges, maybe just not a "built in"
Old 1/14/17, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
...My tuner used to work for Ford..................as a tuner.
You are a very VERY luck person to have that kind of knowledge in your backyard!
Old 1/25/17, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome!
Old 1/26/17, 07:28 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Welcome!
Old 1/28/17, 06:01 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Welcome! Love to see pics.

Yes, this is a bad place for those with the mod bug. It just feeds the addiction. Great time of year to research and purchase parts for the updating the beast to the next level.