Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

2014 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/17, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT

Just purchased a 2014 GT from a young guy. The interior, exterior are in great shape. The car has 65,000 miles on it. He had Micky Thompson slickers on the back size 305/35/20 with Carol Shelby wheels. Purchased this car with a rear end noise which my husband suspected to be an axle bearing. It was not. The entire rear end was rebuilt and the noise is gone. I replaced the slickers with 285/35/20. I should mention the fenders in the back were professionally rolled for the large slickers with the 1 1/2 inch drop. Now I have a carrier bearing in the drive shaft that's bad. I feel this car was driven hard, dragged despite the appearance. It's mine now but I am wondering if this is a common issue at 65,000 miles and has anyone replaced their two piece drive shaft for one piece?
Old 1/19/17, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Welcome!
And a 1 piece drive shaft is a great upgrade!
Old 1/20/17, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response. When I called a shop to ask about replacing the Carrie bearing we realized it's not replaceable. I think we are definitely going for a one piece drive shaft. I'm just so disappointed to have all these issues and have the car for only a month. Guess I bought someone else's problems.
Old 1/20/17, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on the new ride, sorry to hear about your issues.
Every component on your car has a service life, which is shortened by mistreatment.
I replaced the driveshaft in my 11 for two reasons:
Weight.
Didn't think the stock unit would handle the increased hp for too long.