Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

TMS Recipes

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/11, 01:05 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
That one comes out more like a stew. We don't do a lot of glazing down here. Stewed or smothered down. Thick rich gravies. Dark rouxs.
Old 12/24/11, 01:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
That one comes out more like a stew. We don't do a lot of glazing down here. Stewed or smothered down. Thick rich gravies. Dark rouxs.
That's like putting a big block diesel in a sports car. We save that style for old cow. lol Pork loin is too delicate for thick beef type gravy IMO.

PS: And for the record, my first lessons in glazing were from Justin Wilson.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/24/11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12/24/11, 01:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Oh you're talking about the loin. Yeah that's different. Im talking about a cheap Boston butt roast. Just cook down till falls apart.
Old 2/27/12, 09:08 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
heres something I made for a soup contest at work. The sauerkraut really makes the dish IMO, drained and rinsed really mellows the flavor of the kraut and it adds some nice zing to the soup.
  • 2 gallons + 4 cups of water (36 cups)
  • 4 pounds of pork ribs
  • 7 smoked ham hocks
  • 12 russet potatos
  • 4 large yellow onions
  • 7 Dried bay leaves
  • 12 cloves of garlic
  • 12 strips of smoked bacon (I used apple wood this time around)
  • 2 packages of dried beans (cant rember weight - I used the 15 bean dried stuff, but I think any bean will do)
  • 2 pounds of sauerkraut
  • Package of fresh chives
  • Salt and Pepper
1. Prepare dried beans overnight or quick soak them

2. In a large pot (I used two burners and big stock pot) pour the water in and start heating to a boil. Add the smoked ham hock and pork ribs (cut the ribs into managable sections, no need to slice individually).

3. Finely dice and add onions.

4. Boil meat until it falls off the bone then pick meat, bones, cartilage and skin out. Seperate meat and return to pot (if you dont mind the skin you can throw that back in as well).

5. Peel and add potatos and cook until soft all the way though. Remove smash potatos and return to pot.

6. Take garlic and bacon, process until they form a paste and add to the pot, take care to break paste clumps up

7. Add bay leaves

8. Add beans and cook until beans are desired consistency.

9. Reduce to a simmer

10. Take sauerkraut, drain and rinse then add to the pot and let simmer some more so that the pot gets back to temperature.

11. Salt and pepper to taste.

12. Remove Bay Leaves

13. Garnish with finely chopped chives

Last edited by bob; 2/27/12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 5/22/12, 03:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KAHLUA LIQUEUR
Charliehorse’s Formula

Coffee - 2 qts
This is the basis for the recipe so it needs to be quality coffee, fresh ground, good water, and made rich.
I like to use the European formula which is 3 oz ground coffee (weight) per 1/2 gallon water (12 cup restaurant pot), made with drip method. Adjust formula for your size coffee maker.
For 1 qt, make a pot using a dark roast coffee like French roast, and for the 2nd qt, make a pot with a milder coffee like Supremo Columbian. (After adding each quart to the recipe, you'll have some coffee left over. I usually mix the remainder with a little test of the Kahlua!)

White sugar - 8 cups

Vanilla extract - 3 fl oz (or 3-4 vanilla beans)

Vodka (80 proof) - 6 cups

Cinnamon stick - 1 large or 2 small (this is optional - as the gallon ages the cinnamon flavor comes out more.)

Yield: approx 1 gal

1. Make coffee and pour the 2 qts into a gallon size pan. Heat to simmer but do not boil.

2. Stir in sugar until dissolved and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool (heat above 160* kills the alcohol!)

3. Now its safe to add the vodka and the vanilla.

4. Pour into a glass gallon jar, add the cinnamon stick, age 3-4 weeks. Mildly shake once per week.

Black Russians, Kahlua & coffee, Italian steamers, baking, etc., and of course...

White Russians (the Caucasian in Dudespeak).

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 5/23/12, 09:21 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Tried this out for the another work cook off and they liked it. I was worried that the curry might not go over well but it did (it can be omitted for a more conventional taste) and the batter goes well with fish also.

Buttermilk Marinade

1 qt. buttermilk
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. coriander
1 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. curry
1 tsp. red pepper (or tbsp. of hot sauce)
1 tsp. garlic powder

Beer Batter

1 Bottle of light beer (use until batter is about the consistency of pancake batter)
1 Cup of self rising flour
1 tbsp. of cornstarch
1 Large egg
1 tbsp. of paprika
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of pepper
1 tsp. of granulated garlic

· Marinade chicken overnight
· Cut boneless & skinless breast meat into strips about 1/2 inch wide - trim fat)
· Dredge chicken through flour before dipping in batter (or for a lighter coating just dredge through batter only)
· Deep fry in peanut oil at 375 degrees until coating is a golden brown

Also this Memorial Day I'll be on the grille, the marinade sans curry works good with grilled chicken. In addition I usually do steaks as well.

Steak Marinade
1 cup of soy sauce
1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup of olive oil
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped or mashed in a mortar and pestle
1 large onion finely diced

I combine the ingreadients and let them sit about an hour before I add the steaks, then I marinate them for at least 8 hours to 24 hours.

And with the steak I usually fix a salad which is a pretty simple affair - big chunks of cucumber, tomato and sliced red onion in addition to a spring mix for the green stuff to which I add some nice kalamata olives and good feta with a good vinaigrette.

I round out the meal with fresh hummus which is pretty easy to do with some nice fresh pita hot off the grill as well.

Hummus
3 cans of chickpeas
1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons of tahini (ground seasme seed)
4 cloves of garlic crushed in a mortar and pestle
Pinch or two of kosher salt (I add this to the garlic to help grind it up)
Sprinkle with some paprika and drizzle with some good olive oil.

The garlic, lemon juice and salt can be adjusted to suit your taste and the reserved juice from the beans can be used to adjust the consistancy.

Which also leads me to a sauce I add for the steak, salad and hummus. Pretty easy stuff to make but it takes alot of garlic which is anywhere from 20-40 cloves crushed in the mortal and pestle to which I add enough olive oil to get about the consistancy of apple sauce and then thin it lemon juice to suit my preference and salt to taste.
Old 6/3/14, 04:08 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Paradiso Pizza
973 586 3313

They deliver.
Old 6/3/14, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
If any of you like the Italian liqueur Limoncello (which is very pricey), you can make your own very cheaply. Start with one liter of 100 proof vodka in a jug that can hold a few quarts and can be closed with a lid. Zest 10 large lemons (don't get too far down into the white pith or the result will be bitter) and add the zest to the vodka. Let this mixture sit for at least five or six days, although you can let it sit for several weeks our more. Now make a simple syrup of 3 1/2 cups of water and 2 1/2 cups of sugar by boiling the water and dissolving the sugar in it. Let it cool and then add it to the vodka. Let this sit for another day or two, then stain out the lemon zest. I prefer to filter mine through paper coffee filters to make it as 'clear' as possible. It will, of course, be yellowed by the lemon zest. Serve it very well chilled. For storage I rinse and keep some screw-top wine bottles after enjoying some nice New Zealand wines.