Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

TMS Recipes

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/10, 08:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
TMS Recipes

I thought we'd make like housewives and swap some of our good recipes for food.

Some of you Texans may know of the County Line restaurants. Well while the BBQ is exceptional IMHO, many will say there are better places for BBQ in Texas and even in Austin, Salt Lick to name just one. But I have always enjoyed their potato salad and while staying in Austin on weekend we discovered The County Line had published their potato salad recipe in the Austin American-Statesman newspaper. We immediately tried the recipe when we got home, after a little shopping, and were very happy with the results. It truly is their recipe. The difference between it and most other potato salads is the sour cream. It is a mayo based salad, no mustard, but it is not heavy or too mayonnaisey. And of course its best served ice cold out of the fridge.

County Line BBQ Potato Salad

I have halved the recipe from its original amounts. It will still make 12 servings.

3 pounds Idaho potatoes
1 medium yellow onion finely chopped (the onion will be raw so you want a mild onion)
3-4 ribs of celery finely chopped
8 ounces dill pickle relish
12 ounces of sour cream
6 ounces of mayonnaise
1 heaping tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
1/2 tablespoon if salt, to taste

Garnishes:
Paprika sprinkle and parsley sprigs

Put unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of salted cold water; bring to a boil and cook until tender throughout, about 25 minutes. Test by inserting knife into a potato. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow potatoes to cool. Carefully peel potatoes and cut in 3/4" cubes; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, blend together onions, celery, relish, sour cream, mayonnaise, pepper, garlic salt, celery salt, and salt. Add cubes of potatoes and mix gently.

Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Overnight if possible.

Dust with paprika and garnish with a sprig of parsley for each serving.

I don't eat potato salad at all, but I love this stuff!
Old 10/27/10, 08:49 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Nice idea for a thread Gary.

As a few of you know one of my passions is smoking meat. Im a huge fan of ribs, boston butts, etc.

Ill throw out a simple brine recipe I came up with that I soak a pork butt/shoulder in for 24 hours prior to putting on the smoker. And for those of you unsure as to what a brine is, http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101

Originally Posted by pork brine

Makes 1 gallon of brine mix, adjust properly to base off amount of water needed to completely submerge meat
  • 1cup kosher or sea salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/8 cup garlic powder
  • 1/8 cup onion powder
  • 1/8 cup rosemary
  • 1/8 cup thyme
  • 1/8 cup dry mustard
  • 1/16 cup bay leaves
  • 1/16 basil
  • 1/16 chipotle powder
  • 1 cup syrup (or molasses)
After brining for 24hours, I slow smoke the meat at 200-215° for 10-12 hours depending on size of butt. I use a water pan between heat source and meat also to keep moisture in the meat from the steam, but with the brine process, its not really needed. I smoke entirely over either hickory or pecan wood (there is no substitute for this).
Old 10/27/10, 10:12 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
great idea for a thread

stickied
Old 10/28/10, 05:09 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
I smoke entirely over either hickory or pecan wood (there is no substitute for this).
hickory FTW! Out here they use some mesquite, or cedar plank for salmon, not too much hickory. Are they missing out! When it comes to pork (beef too IMO) it HAS to be hickory!
Old 10/28/10, 07:02 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
mesquite has its time and place, pork isnt it IMO. its great with beef however.
Old 10/28/10, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea, great recipes!
Originally Posted by Scothew
mesquite has its time and place, pork isnt it IMO. its great with beef however.
I don't know... We put some wild hogs in the smoker for a few hours with some mesquite and they turned out quite tastey.
Old 10/28/10, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coop's Tasty Bag O' Coconut

Ingredients: 1 Bag Shredded Coconut.

Preparation: Open bag. Eat coconut.

Serves: 1
Old 10/28/10, 12:16 PM
Post *****

Don't forget we had these threads awhile back:

https://themustangsource.com/f649/fish-477777/

https://themustangsource.com/f649/wh...-joint-479027/

But this thread should have the recipes! IMO
Old 10/28/10, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/f649/fish-477777/
That link is messed up, Charlie, so I'm posting it here for ya. Dunno what happen to it.

---

Grilled Cinnamon Raisin Bread Swiss Cheese Sammitch

Like it sounds. Melt some butter in a medium hot pan, assemble a sandwich from two pieces of swiss cheese and two pieces of cinnamon raisin bread, and make like a regular grilled cheese sandwich.

You may even like it with some precooked bacon in there. I know I do. Simple and frellin' tasty.

/And yes, at first, when introduced to it? I said "ew, no way."
//Then I had two.
///They were so awesome.
Old 10/29/10, 04:47 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by houtex
//Then I had two.

Last edited by Boomer; 2/8/11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10/29/10, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got a good recipe for that most important of holiday classics, the Turducken?
Old 10/29/10, 10:51 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by zzcoop
Anybody got a good recipe for that most important of holiday classics, the Turducken?
Can't ever go wrong with Chef Paul:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/turducken.html

Which reminds me. One of my friends/customers has a real nice restaurant and catering company, and years ago she was visiting NO and went to one of Chef Paul's seminars. He told a story about pecan pie. Since you can't hear me speak, I'll interject this:

"Pecan" is from an Algojquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack.[3] It is pronounced in various parts of the US as pi-KAHN, pi-KAN, PEE-kahn, or PEE-kan.
Chef Paul was bragging how the south made the best pecan pie. But he commented how the word is said differently in different areas of the country. So he asks, "Do ya'll know the difference between pi-KAHN pie and PEE-kan pie?"
>
>
>
>
>
>
"A pi-KAHN is used to make pie for dessert."
>
>
>
>
>
>
"A PEE-kan is kept under the bed at night."

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/29/10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11/3/10, 05:57 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The Classic Reuben..improved a little.
Makes one sandvich
2 slices of rye bread (seedless is ok, marbled if you are down on the exotic and Pumperknickle if you are crazy insane and love the yummy goodness that is pumperknickle) None of that melba think crap (thick thick thick is the name of the game)

sauerkraut (can be homemade but I use precooked)

pastrami or corned beef (I ususally lean to the corned beef side of the road) sliced no too thick or too thin...middle of the road slices

Your favorite Swiss Cheese..deli slice on that please.

Thousand Islands Dressing..your choice. I use Ken's Steakhouse brand.

Butter (real thing unsalted)

1. Ok assembly begins with..the griddle, skillet, hot metal surface...getting heated (Cast Iron is the way to go if you have it!)
2. Butter the bread..one side only..both slices (make sure you butter opposite sides so the sandvich is symmetrical)
3.Take a good load of the Kraut and heat it up in the nukrawave. Once heated through add in the Dressing..Woah slick!!!!! not to much we don't want it swimming in dressing just coleslaw looking.
4. butter side down on hot surface (one slice only please)
5 Stack in this order on the bread (Kraut- heaping pile, Cornedbeef/pastrami-three slices, Swiss- 2 slices, Other slice of bread butter side up (butter to outside of sandvich)

6. wait till bottom bread is GBD (golden brown and delicious)
7. get the spatula under that bad boy and steady yourself...you are about to flip a sandwich that is approx 2-3 inches thick
8. FLIP!!!!!!!!! NOW NOW NOW!!!!
9. Grill other side till cheese melts

Repeat for second sammich

Make Cocktail of choice and enjoy the lunch of champions

Last edited by burningman; 11/3/10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11/3/10, 08:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
corned beef
Old 11/4/10, 01:02 AM
Post *****

Old 11/13/10, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
corned beef
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I have a good recipe for corned beef. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11/14/10, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I'd like to see more recipes period...

Souper Quick n' Creamy Chicken n' Rice:
Ingredients:
1 can chicken broth/stock.
1 can Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup (your pick, but ONLY one)
Some Minute Rice, although if you want to use some other rice, go 'head.
1 bag o' chicken. Tyson, others make ready to heat and eat chicken. I like the cubed stuff.
1 pat of butter.
Couple of pinches of Garlic powder
Pinch or two of Pepper

Make the rice, using the stock instead of water. Put the butter, pepper and garlic poweder in with the stock then add the rice when the stock is boiling. Minute rice takes 5 minutes, so... Oh, and use the stock can to measure the rice. 1 can of rice, therefore. Side note: I also put in a little cumin and sage. It's lovely.

When you got about 2 minutes to go on the rice, zap the bag o' chicken for about 1.5-2 minutes. The bag will get very large, but NOT explode.. not any I've done so far anyway. It will not only heat, but steam, and therefore tenderize the chicken. It really works good for me. Side note: you can do whatever chicken you want, about a breast's worth of meat or so, but this is quick.

When the rice is ready, dump the creamy soup of your choice in as well as the chicken. Add about 1/4-1/3 soup can of water to the pot, stir over medium heat to get it all hot.
Side note: If you have a clue how to make cream of whatever soups from scratch, then fine, be all 'chef'-y. I ain't got the time.

Done. Serve with crackers if you want.

Yes, simple, cheap, easy, quick, and non-healthy. But nobody said anything about healthy here.
Old 11/15/10, 03:51 AM
Post *****

Everything is better with bacon...

Bacon-Infused Bourbon
Bacon makes everything better. That includes alcohol, especially bourbon, which pairs incredibly well with cured pork. The caramel undercurrents act like maple syrup and match up nicely with the richness and smoke of the bacon while the whiskey's spice brings it all together. It's a nice winter treat – the warmth of the bourbon and smoky bacon going a long way toward making a mug of hot chocolate like manna from heaven. To put your own bottle together you'll need:
-750 mL bottle of good bourbon
-1lb bacon
-A pitcher with a wide mouth
-Fine mesh strainer
-Coffee filters
Start by frying or baking the bacon and reserve all of the grease. Unless you're a fan of bourbon that tastes like charcoal, don't burn it. Strain the grease and allow it to cool. Once cool, pour it into the pitcher with the bourbon and give the mixture a good stir. Put the whole mess into the freezer for a few hours or overnight and pass the time by chowing down on your pound of cooked bacon. When cold, the grease will float to the top and form a solid cap on the liquid. Pull the solids out and discard, then strain the liquid. It'll keep in the fridge for about two to three weeks. You can use this same process on tequila, which makes for a spectacular variation on a Bloody Mary.

Espresso-Infused Rum
With the cold weather upon us and the sun rapidly becoming a distant memory, coffee is one of the things keeping society from devolving into a shambling mess. Since it already improves everyone's day, why not use it to improve our drinks as well? Coffee matches up perfectly to the molasses and spice of a good dark rum. It fits amazingly well in many classic tiki drinks, but it's even better when dropped into a little Baileys.
-750mL aged rum (Botran Reserva fits nicely, bringing sweetness to match the bitter coffee)
-.5 cup coarse ground espresso beans
-Fine mesh strainer or colander with cheesecloth
-Pitcher
Pour the rum into the pitcher and add the coffee (put them in a tea ball or bag). The alcohol will draw flavor and color from the leaves very quickly so 15 minutes is more than enough to draw out all of the flavor you need. Any more than that and the rum will become too bitter. Strain the mixture and add it back into the bottle for use.

Pineapple-Infused Vodka
While you can get pineapple vodka off of a liquor store shelf, there's a night and day difference if you make your own. Homemade pineapple-infused vodka is brighter, with much sharper pineapple notes and, best of all, no off-putting chemical aftertaste. It makes a tasty twist on a martini that'll remind you of summer months gone by and it matches up nicely with tonic, or even Sprite. Making your own is simple. You'll need:
-2 cups fresh pineapple
-750mL bottle of quality vodka
-Clean container/pitcher with tight lid large enough to hold the pineapple and the vodka
-Fine mesh strainer
-Coffee filters (optional)
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/11/12/make-bacon-whiskey-flavorful-spirits/
Old 11/15/10, 06:24 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by edumspeed
I have a good recipe for corned beef. I'll see if I can find it.

This is a really good one for Sloppy Joe's

1 lb. ground beef
onion, celery and green pepper to taste
1/2 bottle chili sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. mustard
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
Old 11/15/10, 07:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Found it!

Corned beef wit pork & beans:
Part A
1 tablespoon of butter (or margarine)
1 small chopped onion
Part B
One 12oz. can of corned beef
One 15oz. can of pork & beans (Baked beans)

Melt the butter and cook a little bit the onions at a low cooking temperature. Add the ingredients of B and cook at medium temp. until it boils.

Corned beef with potatoes

Part A
2 oz. (4 tablespoons) of butter or margarine
2 small onions
1 tsp of sofrito (stew or sauce base)
1 pound of potatoes, peeled and cut in pieces
Part B
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
1 12 oz. can of corned beef

Melt the butter and add the rest of the ingredients in A and stir. Cover and cook at a medium temp for 15 min. Uncover and stir frequently until the potatoes are cooked. Add the ingredients of B, stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: TMS Recipes